All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
diligent1
join:2012-03-27

diligent1

[BC] Optik TV - favorites list is ridiculous

I have a huge gripe with the Optik TV software package. I don't want to see a list of 1000 channels I can't watch.
I only want to see channels I can watch - that's all.

With Bell Satellite TV, it was a simple matter of pushing one button on the remote.
However, with Telus' OPTIK TV, it requires a huge manual effort that you have to repeat for every receiver.

On each receiver, you have to flip through channels one-by-one, wait for it to render a picture, then "add favorite" if it shows a signal. Repeat ad nauseum.

Dafuq? What the hell is this crap?
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by diligent1:

I have a huge gripe with the Optik TV software package. I don't want to see a list of 1000 channels I can't watch.
I only want to see channels I can watch - that's all.

With Bell Satellite TV, it was a simple matter of pushing one button on the remote.
However, with Telus' OPTIK TV, it requires a huge manual effort that you have to repeat for every receiver.

On each receiver, you have to flip through channels one-by-one, wait for it to render a picture, then "add favorite" if it shows a signal. Repeat ad nauseum.

Dafuq? What the hell is this crap?

I agree. It always been something I think TELUS can improve on. If you have an IOS tablet, you can try out new enhanced guide application. It makes live easier.

Exand
join:2001-10-28
Canada

Exand to diligent1

to diligent1
The current one is so bad it doesn't even show you channels that you have subscribed to.

For instance if you have the Adventure pack you have access to the HD version of Space channel. But it's not listed on the Optik guide, it's not even listed on the Channels and Packages PDF on their website. The only reason I found it was because I accidentally punched in the channel number.

What's sad too is the original Optik guide was a little easier to use and not as painful as the current one to use :|

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to diligent1

Premium Member

to diligent1
I agree. And when they launch new channels, it gets added to your guide even if you don't subscribe. And why do the galaxie channels show up when they have a music application?

Tornado15550
join:2012-12-16
Canada

Tornado15550 to Symtex

to Symtex
I completely agree! The guide should be updated to display only the channels you subscribe to, or are available on free preview. PLEASE implement this...

First off, the guide LAGS like crazy!! After I switched from Shaw to Optik, that was the first thing I noticed. The updates improved performance by a little, but not too much. I'm not sure if this is hardware related or just software, but please release more performance updates!!

Also, another feature I recommend is, by holding down the up or down buttons, the guide should "run" through, so you can get past the part of channels you don't subscribe to.
Ikarasu
join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu to diligent1

to diligent1
It wont ever happen.

How else will you see a show you want to watch, and get a note saying you'll have to upgrade to see it?

It's all about making money to them. It's not convenient for us... But if you see a TV show, or movie you want to watch, your more likely to buy the channel, then if it was hidden / you never see / think about it.
Mike_C
join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC

Mike_C to diligent1

to diligent1
@Ikarasu > You are right. Telus / Microsoft won't give/allow the option to show subscribed channels only very likely for that very reason.

For the other posters here why don't you just edit the Guide rather than using the Favorites list. It may take a few minutes per box but you can essentially remove any of the channels you don't have / want to see in your guide. The result would be when you hit Guide, you'll only see the channels you want.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Problem is, I have to do that every few weeks as new unsubscribed channels show up. On each box in the house. When the NHL season is over, all the Centre Ice channels will still be in the list until I remove them manually. If each box can sync pvr'd shows, why can't they sync settings with each other as well? Even if there was a web interface do it, that wouls be easier. It's just a PITA to have to manage. I liked the Bell interface much better allowing me to have a number of user created lists. In fact, the Bell interface came preloaded with 2 lists; all channels and subscribed channels.
Mike_C
join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC

Mike_C

The boxes don't sync recordings. Only the PVR records things. The other boxes just let you streamthe recorded shows over the network in the house from the PVR.
bimmerdriver
join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

bimmerdriver to diligent1

to diligent1
I agree. The way the box handles channels is terrible.

There should be a way to prevent it from displaying channels that are not subscribed.

There should be a way to filter the list of channels, e.g., ppv, language, etc. (I have no interest in channels that are not in english.)

There should be a way to show all subscribed channels that are not being displayed.

There should be a way to notify users that new channels are available, either subscribed or not subscribed or available on a trial basis.

There should be a way to synchronize changes made to the channel list between all boxes.
diligent1

diligent1

Amen bruddah!

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to diligent1

Premium Member

to diligent1
They do this so you'll think "Hey maybe I should order this channel, it looks cool!"
diligent1

diligent1

For me it has the opposite effect. I'm thinking...
"hey, maybe satellite TV wasn't so bad after all. This Telus receiver blows goats - it responds very slowly, and sucks for some of the most basic things like filtering out unsubscribed channels".

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Actually...I can even deal with the guide inconsistencies. WHat drives me nuts is the optical audio output. On my old Bell receivers, the optical out was always on, so if I chose to watch something with my home theatre, I'd just turn on the receiver and the sound would come out. With Optik, you ALWAYS have to go through the menu and turn digital audio on or else you hear nothing and you have to go back in and revert back to standard audio when you shut off the home theatre so that sound comes from the TV again. This drives me nuts.
ruiner3
join:2012-03-10
Canada

ruiner3 to pfak

to pfak
said by pfak:

They do this so you'll think "Hey maybe I should order this channel, it looks cool!"

That might actually work if most channels weren't full of absolute garbage most of the time.
queerDSL
join:2003-07-08
Vancouver, BC

queerDSL to diligent1

to diligent1
I don't have an iOS device but I do have Androids. The Remote Record app only displays channels I can watch. So it's a bit tedious but every month or three I pull out the tablet and compare the channels on it to the ones checked off on the PVR, and fix the incorrect ones.

JammerMan79
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
What do you mean? ... do you have optical connected to your receiver and rca connected to your tv? How come?
The rca output is always active... no need to swap the settings.
MrBlack
join:2002-01-23
Edmonton, AB

MrBlack to diligent1

to diligent1
I want this from Optik TV. It's getting to the point watching TV is frustrating. If TELUS doesn't address it this year I'm cancelling my TV service.

The sad part is when TelusTV was first launched it had this capability. The old boxes had the ability to filter between subscribed, all, and favourites.

Can someone who actually develops for TELUS take this to your manager? You have a forum of savvy users who want this and likely thousands of customers in general. My mom moved in with me and is a retired 60-year old and even she complains about it and asks me to switch to Shaw.

Seriously guys, WTF. I remember after the old systems had it phased out TELUS reps were promising it would be back...

AnonTechEDM
@telus.net

AnonTechEDM

Anon

said by MrBlack:

I want this from Optik TV. It's getting to the point watching TV is frustrating. If TELUS doesn't address it this year I'm cancelling my TV service.

The sad part is when TelusTV was first launched it had this capability. The old boxes had the ability to filter between subscribed, all, and favourites.

Can someone who actually develops for TELUS take this to your manager? You have a forum of savvy users who want this and likely thousands of customers in general. My mom moved in with me and is a retired 60-year old and even she complains about it and asks me to switch to Shaw.

Seriously guys, WTF. I remember after the old systems had it phased out TELUS reps were promising it would be back...

The problem being the request for features needs to go to microsoft as it is their software running on these boxes, and in the grand scheme of things Telus is a very small customer of microsoft's when it comes to mediaroom.

file
join:2011-03-29
Riverview, NB

file to diligent1

to diligent1
It is actually "possible" for Telus to do this, it's just really... complicated.

Telus has configured Mediaroom with all of the channels they have, this gets pushed to your set top box. When you try to tune into a channel the system returns you aren't authorized and you can't.

Originally Bell Aliant was the same way but there was a somewhat massive outcry of annoyance and they changed things. What they did (at least I'm fairly certain based on my knowledge) is to have different lists for different package combinations, probably done via an automated script. Only the channels you are subscribed to (or are on freeview) get pushed to your set top box.

A cleaner way would be to ask Microsoft to put in support for subscribed versus unsubscribed in the guide, but alas.
diligent1

diligent1

It's just such a basic thing, it really blows my mind.
Whether they intentionally removed it for "marketing" reasons, or just out of plain stupidity / no usability testing (I find that hard to believe) - it is completely astounding.

At any given time there are maybe 3 shows that grab my interest in the whole channel line up. Then try finding them amongst 1000+ channels -- 60% of which HAVE NO SIGNAL!
Symtex
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by diligent1:

It's just such a basic thing, it really blows my mind.
Whether they intentionally removed it for "marketing" reasons, or just out of plain stupidity / no usability testing (I find that hard to believe) - it is completely astounding.

At any given time there are maybe 3 shows that grab my interest in the whole channel line up. Then try finding them amongst 1000+ channels -- 60% of which HAVE NO SIGNAL!

do you have an IPAD ? Get the new IOS app. The guide is 10x better and we are currently working on a new version that will even be better.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by Symtex:

do you have an IPAD ? Get the new IOS app. The guide is 10x better and we are currently working on a new version that will even be better.

Where's the Android app? I would expect something better than the current Optik TV offering which is pure shite:

»play.google.com/store/ap ··· ptiktvhd

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner to JammerMan79

Premium Member

to JammerMan79
said by JammerMan79:

What do you mean? ... do you have optical connected to your receiver and rca connected to your tv? How come?
The rca output is always active... no need to swap the settings.

I have HDMI out to my tv and Optical out to my receiver. If I want to watch something and have the sound go through my receiver, I have go throught menu and select digital audio instead of stereo. If I leave it on stereo, my receiver gets no sound. If I leave it on digital, my tv gets no sound.
diligent1

diligent1 to Symtex

to Symtex
I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 with Android. The Telus stores are loaded with Android hardware. It's great they put out an iOS app, but what about all those Android devices they're pushing?

It's still a kludgy workaround. I don't have my tablet with me 24x7 and it's a clunky remote. The basic remote control should be capable of such basic functions.
Symtex
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by diligent1:

I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 with Android. The Telus stores are loaded with Android hardware. It's great they put out an iOS app, but what about all those Android devices they're pushing?

I'll try to get more info on that. I would like to see it on Android too.
Symtex

Symtex

Somewhere between Q2 and Q3 of this year for the Android app.

JammerMan79
Premium Member
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
do you have PVR - TV via HDMI and PVR - receiver via optical
or
PVR to TV via HDMI, TV - receiver via optical?

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

PVR to TV via HDMI
PVR to receiver via optical

JammerMan79
Premium Member
Prince George, BC