how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

diligent1

join:2012-03-27
reply to file

Re: [BC] Optik TV - favorites list is ridiculous

It's just such a basic thing, it really blows my mind.
Whether they intentionally removed it for "marketing" reasons, or just out of plain stupidity / no usability testing (I find that hard to believe) - it is completely astounding.

At any given time there are maybe 3 shows that grab my interest in the whole channel line up. Then try finding them amongst 1000+ channels -- 60% of which HAVE NO SIGNAL!

Symtex

join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC
kudos:21

said by diligent1:

It's just such a basic thing, it really blows my mind.
Whether they intentionally removed it for "marketing" reasons, or just out of plain stupidity / no usability testing (I find that hard to believe) - it is completely astounding.

At any given time there are maybe 3 shows that grab my interest in the whole channel line up. Then try finding them amongst 1000+ channels -- 60% of which HAVE NO SIGNAL!

do you have an IPAD ? Get the new IOS app. The guide is 10x better and we are currently working on a new version that will even be better.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

said by Symtex:

do you have an IPAD ? Get the new IOS app. The guide is 10x better and we are currently working on a new version that will even be better.

Where's the Android app? I would expect something better than the current Optik TV offering which is pure shite:

»play.google.com/store/apps/detai···ptiktvhd
--
The more I C, the less I see.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to JammerMan79

said by JammerMan79:

What do you mean? ... do you have optical connected to your receiver and rca connected to your tv? How come?
The rca output is always active... no need to swap the settings.

I have HDMI out to my tv and Optical out to my receiver. If I want to watch something and have the sound go through my receiver, I have go throught menu and select digital audio instead of stereo. If I leave it on stereo, my receiver gets no sound. If I leave it on digital, my tv gets no sound.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

diligent1

reply to Symtex

I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 with Android. The Telus stores are loaded with Android hardware. It's great they put out an iOS app, but what about all those Android devices they're pushing?

It's still a kludgy workaround. I don't have my tablet with me 24x7 and it's a clunky remote. The basic remote control should be capable of such basic functions.

Symtex

Burnaby, BC

said by diligent1:

I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 with Android. The Telus stores are loaded with Android hardware. It's great they put out an iOS app, but what about all those Android devices they're pushing?

I'll try to get more info on that. I would like to see it on Android too.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

Symtex

Burnaby, BC

Somewhere between Q2 and Q3 of this year for the Android app.

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC
kudos:10
reply to shaner

do you have PVR - TV via HDMI and PVR - receiver via optical
or
PVR to TV via HDMI, TV - receiver via optical?
--

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB

PVR to TV via HDMI
PVR to receiver via optical

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
Prince George, BC

Duplicate
--

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
Prince George, BC
reply to shaner

Odd... I'm assuming that it's an older receiver without hdmi...
It sounds to me like it's an issue with the tv... the tv should be able to decide a 5.1 signal...
It's receiving a digital signal via hdmi regardless
If you change to component and use rcacables you could leave it on 5.1all the time...
Do you mind my asking why you're even using the tv speakers if you have a receiver?
--

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC

My TV strips the 5.1 signal sent by the box via HDMI as well, and I have a new STB.
--

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to JammerMan79

said by JammerMan79:

Odd... I'm assuming that it's an older receiver without hdmi...
It sounds to me like it's an issue with the tv... the tv should be able to decide a 5.1 signal...
It's receiving a digital signal via hdmi regardless
If you change to component and use rcacables you could leave it on 5.1all the time...
Do you mind my asking why you're even using the tv speakers if you have a receiver?

My old Bell stb didn't do this. I don't always want to watch tv with the surround sound on.
--

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
Prince George, BC
reply to pfak

said by pfak:

My TV strips the 5.1 signal sent by the box via HDMI as well, and I have a new STB.

Do you mean it takes the 5.1 in on hdmi and you can still here the sound via the tv speakers...?
--

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
Prince George, BC

1 edit
reply to shaner

What did the bell receiver do ? That doesn't seem right to me
It only makes sense that of you select surround sound, all the capable outputs do 5.1
If you select stereo, then all the outputs use that.
You have to remember both hdmi and optical are fully digital so they will output 5.1 of selected
The only output that will overwrite this setting is using rca as those are only capable of stereo...
Did you upgrade to hdmi recently?

Most receivers have a quick hit button to downgrade the sound to stereo probably better than how you're doing it
--

ynohtna
Need... Speed

join:2005-02-02
Burnaby, BC
reply to Symtex

Windows Phone app please, being microsoft and all
--
Telus ADSL User Since 1999

Tornado15550

join:2012-12-16
Canada
reply to Symtex

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get the official Android app!

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to JammerMan79

said by JammerMan79:

said by pfak:

Do you mean it takes the 5.1 in on hdmi and you can still here the sound via the tv speakers...?

STB to HDMI via TV (5.1 Surround Selected), TV connected to Receiver. Receiver receives it as Stereo (2-Channel) -- totally messed up!
--

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
Prince George, BC

I'm assuming you're running optical from the receiver to the tv...
Check the menu's as you may have to adjust a setting...
for my LG I had to "hack" it to allow the 5.1 to be transfered through the optical (even though I don't actually need it that way).
If you have a logitech remote, check online for the maintenance codes for your tv, that will allow you to access the technical maintenance screens, there are sometimes additional options that you can turn on (for mine it was the 5.1 transfer and THX capabilities which are only turned on in the more expensive version)
--

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB

It's not the TV in my case because it was the same TV hooked up to Bell in the exact same manner. HDMI from STB to TV and optical from STB to receiver. If I wanted to watch something with the surround sound on, I just turned on the receiver and digital Dolby 5.1 sound was already there.

With the TELUS box, I'm guessing that because I have an optical cable plugged into the back, it will not send 5.1 sound through the HDMI cable. I know this is unlikely and would be strange to do, but it's as if my STB only sends a stereo signal over HDMI.
--

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

MrBlack

join:2002-01-23
Edmonton, AB
reply to diligent1

Guessing TELUS has no intention of trying to get MS to change this behaviour?

I mean honestly, it's a real pisser.

jitterbug
Premium
join:2004-08-18
Calgary, AB

I'm hoping that TELUS will add the subscribed channels feature this year. My grandfather got Optik TV and he just wanted it to work like analog cable. Going thru the channel list by hand and only selecting the subscribed channels was painful.

diligent1

Yeah, painful is an understatement.
My channel listing goes well into the thousands now. Flipping through each one, then waiting a second or two before a signal may/may not appear. Repeat for 4 receivers in the house.

I should take a couple days off work so I can get this done.