JammerMan79
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner

Re: [BC] Optik TV - favorites list is ridiculous

Odd... I'm assuming that it's an older receiver without hdmi...
It sounds to me like it's an issue with the tv... the tv should be able to decide a 5.1 signal...
It's receiving a digital signal via hdmi regardless
If you change to component and use rcacables you could leave it on 5.1all the time...
Do you mind my asking why you're even using the tv speakers if you have a receiver?

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

My TV strips the 5.1 signal sent by the box via HDMI as well, and I have a new STB.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to JammerMan79

Premium Member

to JammerMan79
said by JammerMan79:

Odd... I'm assuming that it's an older receiver without hdmi...
It sounds to me like it's an issue with the tv... the tv should be able to decide a 5.1 signal...
It's receiving a digital signal via hdmi regardless
If you change to component and use rcacables you could leave it on 5.1all the time...
Do you mind my asking why you're even using the tv speakers if you have a receiver?

My old Bell stb didn't do this. I don't always want to watch tv with the surround sound on.

JammerMan79
Premium Member
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79 to pfak

Premium Member

to pfak
said by pfak:

My TV strips the 5.1 signal sent by the box via HDMI as well, and I have a new STB.

Do you mean it takes the 5.1 in on hdmi and you can still here the sound via the tv speakers...?
JammerMan79

1 edit

JammerMan79 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
What did the bell receiver do ? That doesn't seem right to me
It only makes sense that of you select surround sound, all the capable outputs do 5.1
If you select stereo, then all the outputs use that.
You have to remember both hdmi and optical are fully digital so they will output 5.1 of selected
The only output that will overwrite this setting is using rca as those are only capable of stereo...
Did you upgrade to hdmi recently?

Most receivers have a quick hit button to downgrade the sound to stereo probably better than how you're doing it

ynohtna
Need... Speed
join:2005-02-02
Burnaby, BC

ynohtna to Symtex

to Symtex
Windows Phone app please, being microsoft and all

Tornado15550
join:2012-12-16
Canada

Tornado15550 to Symtex

to Symtex
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get the official Android app!

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to JammerMan79

Premium Member

to JammerMan79
said by JammerMan79:

said by pfak:

Do you mean it takes the 5.1 in on hdmi and you can still here the sound via the tv speakers...?

STB to HDMI via TV (5.1 Surround Selected), TV connected to Receiver. Receiver receives it as Stereo (2-Channel) -- totally messed up!

JammerMan79
Premium Member
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79

Premium Member

I'm assuming you're running optical from the receiver to the tv...
Check the menu's as you may have to adjust a setting...
for my LG I had to "hack" it to allow the 5.1 to be transfered through the optical (even though I don't actually need it that way).
If you have a logitech remote, check online for the maintenance codes for your tv, that will allow you to access the technical maintenance screens, there are sometimes additional options that you can turn on (for mine it was the 5.1 transfer and THX capabilities which are only turned on in the more expensive version)

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

It's not the TV in my case because it was the same TV hooked up to Bell in the exact same manner. HDMI from STB to TV and optical from STB to receiver. If I wanted to watch something with the surround sound on, I just turned on the receiver and digital Dolby 5.1 sound was already there.

With the TELUS box, I'm guessing that because I have an optical cable plugged into the back, it will not send 5.1 sound through the HDMI cable. I know this is unlikely and would be strange to do, but it's as if my STB only sends a stereo signal over HDMI.
MrBlack
join:2002-01-23
Edmonton, AB

MrBlack to diligent1

to diligent1
Guessing TELUS has no intention of trying to get MS to change this behaviour?

I mean honestly, it's a real pisser.
jitterbug
Premium Member
join:2004-08-18
Calgary, AB

jitterbug

Premium Member

I'm hoping that TELUS will add the subscribed channels feature this year. My grandfather got Optik TV and he just wanted it to work like analog cable. Going thru the channel list by hand and only selecting the subscribed channels was painful.
diligent1
join:2012-03-27

diligent1

Yeah, painful is an understatement.
My channel listing goes well into the thousands now. Flipping through each one, then waiting a second or two before a signal may/may not appear. Repeat for 4 receivers in the house.

I should take a couple days off work so I can get this done.