Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

1 edit

aaronwt to decifal7

Premium Member

to decifal7

Re: When

said by decifal7:

When netflix completely turns their back on the dvd customers, they will tumble hard... We seen what just the simple threat of splitting the services did to their stock alone...

With pathetic caps, lack of coverage.. DVD's are the primary option for many of us.. And video stores have dried up... It would be stupid to abandon the dvd business with the current cap/overage/lack of penetration being done in this country...

Just the opposite. Less than 30% of their subscribers rent discs now. The vast majority of Netflix subscribers only do streaming.

hurfy
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Spokane, WA

hurfy

Premium Member

Can't see them dismissing DVD too quickly.
That 30% is MILLIONS of people mostly paying more than $10/month

To be fair tho, i can't seem to reconcil their numbers for subscribers and income.

Personally, i find the streaming options lacking and i like to watch a bit of a DVD during meals, etc. and streaming is too awkward/slow to setup for that as i rarely have the computer on before work.

Thus i never even bothered to setup for streaming to my TV.
I do love the huge selection on DVD tho

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by hurfy:

Can't see them dismissing DVD too quickly.
That 30% is MILLIONS of people mostly paying more than $10/month

To be fair tho, i can't seem to reconcil their numbers for subscribers and income.

Personally, i find the streaming options lacking and i like to watch a bit of a DVD during meals, etc. and streaming is too awkward/slow to setup for that as i rarely have the computer on before work.

Thus i never even bothered to setup for streaming to my TV.
I do love the huge selection on DVD tho

Supposedly the disc subscribers in the US are down to around 8 million, while streaming subscribers are around 27 million. But the Disc side is still more profitable than the streaming side.

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2 ··· 397.html
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to aaronwt

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

said by decifal7:

When netflix completely turns their back on the dvd customers, they will tumble hard... We seen what just the simple threat of splitting the services did to their stock alone...

With pathetic caps, lack of coverage.. DVD's are the primary option for many of us.. And video stores have dried up... It would be stupid to abandon the dvd business with the current cap/overage/lack of penetration being done in this country...

Just the opposite. Less than 30% of their subscribers rent discs now. The vast majority of Netflix subscribers only do streaming.

I doubt that is accurate.. But, let em cutt if off and we shall see I guess people got upset with the threat of a split up simply because? Like many say, the streaming video options are limited and usually outdated stuff.. DVD rentals is not.. Only delayed for a month or so for new release's... I rather have that than the streaming if I had to choose being its soo limited..

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

1 recommendation

TheBionic

Premium Member

I have been a Netflix member for about 7 years now, started with 3 discs at a time, then went to blu ray. I dropped the DVD portion before the price split and haven't regretted it a single minute.

Streaming costs 8 bucks a month. If you're looking for all the new release movies you can handle for 8 bucks a month from anywhere, I believe you're bound to be disappointed. I personally really like the Netflix library, mostly for the TV, and the cost savings of that vs. buying or renting the hundreds of hours I have watched is just huge. If you want a new release rental service, Netflix streaming just isn't it. I don't know that I'd pay extra for it to be one, either. There are like 10 redbox kiosks within 5 miles that will rent the same movies Netflix has on blu ray for $1.50, and one B&M movie rental place left that has things the day they're released if I REALLY want to see it NOW. I feel like all my bases are covered.
« throttlingNetflix »
This is a sub-selection from When