spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gcerullo

@bell.ca

[Internet] Fibe 25/10 Strange Disconnection Problem

I'm experiencing a strange disconnection problem with my Fibe 25/10 service with new Connection Hub.

Every time a long distance call rings, indicated by the distinctive one long/two short rings, the Internet connection drops. Once the ringing stops the connection will come back up a minute or so later. Watching the indicator lights on the Connection Hub, it appears that it has to re-sync with the system. Note that there are no problems exhibited while the phone is ringing due to standard local calls.

I recently upgraded to the 25/10 service from the 24/7 service which I had for a few years. This problem never came up with the older service. Along with the newer service came the newer Connection Hub to replace the older Cellpipe 7130.

Other than this admittedly minor inconvenience the Fibe service has been very solid and reliable especially the older 25/7 service.

Bell technical support had me restart my network equipment and report back if the problem persists. I'm just waiting for a long distance call to come in to see what happens.

In the mean time I'm was just wonder if anyone else's Fibe 25/10, or otherwise, service that uses the Connection Hub has experienced the same or similar behaviour.

Some notes about my network.

The Connection Hub is configured to be a dump modem/bridge only. The actual PPPoE connection and all routing is handled by an Apple Airport router (Time Capsule in this case) as it had always been with the previous Cellpipe. Connection speeds remain high with this configuration, as they should, and there are no other connection problems.

I may experiment with configuring the Connection Hub to make the PPPoE connection to see if it makes a difference but I prefer the current set up.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

This is fur sure something to do with the line. Do you have a POTS splitter ?

gcerullo

@bell.ca

Yes, there is a Corning POTS splitter. It was installed when the original Fibe 25/7 service was installed.

I'm curious though why the interruption to the service only happens during the distinctive ring of a long distance call and not with local calls. Also, why would it exhibit this behaviour only while the phone rings but not while on a call. This seems very strange to me and I suspect that the problem lies further back along the circuit and not with the lines in or around the house.

There is a small metal junction box of sorts on the lawn of the house across the road from me that is damaged and has been known to cause problems in the past, mainly static on the line, when it has been disturbed. I've called Bell numerous times about it but the most they have ever done was wrap it in plastic.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

said by gcerullo :

Yes, there is a Corning POTS splitter. It was installed when the original Fibe 25/7 service was installed.

I'm curious though why the interruption to the service only happens during the distinctive ring of a long distance call and not with local calls. Also, why would it exhibit this behaviour only while the phone rings but not while on a call. This seems very strange to me and I suspect that the problem lies further back along the circuit and not with the lines in or around the house.

There is a small metal junction box of sorts on the lawn of the house across the road from me that is damaged and has been known to cause problems in the past, mainly static on the line, when it has been disturbed. I've called Bell numerous times about it but the most they have ever done was wrap it in plastic.

There is some voltage on the phone line everything it rings... so depending on the ring, it will cause this type of issue.

Your metal junction box most probably is the cause then.