share rss forum feed

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock
reply to TechnoGeek

Re: Newsflash: You already are

said by TechnoGeek:

You don't "own" the software on the phone, it's just a perpetual lease.

Check the EULA on any proprietary piece of software.

Yes, it's completely stupid.

That's why you remove the software that's on the device and install something else that allows you to do so(GPL).
--
When somebody tells you nothing is impossible, ask him to dribble a football.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to PeeWee

Re: The current expected response...

This is why I'll never have more then just a "standard cell phone" that just does talk. (Like a trackphone).

I guess I see that they should be like a TV, or a desktop/laptop. If I buy a TV, it does not matter if I hook it up to an OTA signal, Direct TV, Dish, Comcast, Time Warner, or whoever. Its a TV, and everything inside works with any provider, regardless of who made the TV, and regardless of my provider of the service.

With a Desktop or Laptop, I can install whatever parts I want. If its a Dell Desktop, I can use a Maxtor Hard Drive, GeForce Video card, etc. It does not have to be Dell parts. I can install Windows XP, Windows 8, Linux, OS-X, etc and it does not matter. I can take the same desktop or laptop, and use it to connect to the internet with Cablevision, FIOS, Verizon DSL, AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, Brighthouse, whoever. Does not matter. I know in all of these, its the cable modem or DSL Modem that make the connection, but I think you get my point here.

Again, its a device that you can purchase, and use. If I want to take the phone and use it on the Sprint Network, or the T-Mobile network, or the Nextel Network, or the AT&T Network, I should be allowed to do so, using the same logic that I made above in regards to TV's and Computers.

Back to the TV again, it would be like telling me that if I bought a TV from LG, I could only watch CBS and HBO, and not the History Channel, as that TV is not "Approved" to be used to view content on the "History Channel Network".

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to raythompsontn

Now if only people might realize that.

I'm on prepaid and paid full price for my phone. I can however do what I want with it.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA
reply to plencnerb

Rooting your phone is not unlocking it. after root you still will not be able to take your phone to a different carrier. Two different things.
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007

raythompsontn

join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to sivran

said by sivran:

If you don't mind paying upwards of 600$ for the phone instead of 50-100.

Over the course of a two year contract you will almost pay twice what the phone is worth. A reduced price phone on a contract is nothing more than a rent to own. You will eventually own the device but you have paid a lot more for the device.

Do the math using a service such as Straighttalk. $45.00 a month vs Verizon at $100.00 a month. You are paying $55.00 more a month with Verizon. The cost of the phone is $299.00 at Verizon, $749.00 at an Apple store for the Iphone 5, 32 gig. Price difference is $450.00. That is 10 months of the contract. So for the remaining 14 months on the contract you pay $55.00 a month for nothing. That amounts to $770.00 additional that you paid, more than the price of a new phone.

A glorious waste of money.

FLATLINE

join:2007-02-27
Buffalo, NY
reply to sivran

Nexus 4 Pure Android for $299

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to plencnerb

Sure.

If you don't mind paying upwards of 600$ for the phone instead of 50-100.

TechnoGeek

join:2013-01-07
reply to cdru

Newsflash: You already are

You don't "own" the software on the phone, it's just a perpetual lease.

Check the EULA on any proprietary piece of software.

Yes, it's completely stupid.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to axus

Re: The current expected response...

So you do really want to make it that cell phones become rental-only, similar to cable boxes. I relish the opportunity to rent a phone for a mandatory $25+ each month.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to axus

Exactly. If I was to buy a Dell laptop that came with Windows 8, and I wanted to format the hard drive and install Linux on it, I have every right to do so.

If I purchase a phone, and want to take the OS / software that is on it, and replace it with another version, I should have the same right.

A phone is a piece of hardware that runs software. Once I purchase said hardware, I should be allowed to make whatever changes I want to it.

If that is how cell phone companies see it, then they should call Dell, Lenovo, and HP up, and get them to arrest and levy heavy fines on all the users who bought said computers only to format and install their OS of choice.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
reply to nothing00

It's the same purpose as the early termination fee. The DMCA is horrible here; Property rights should be absolute here.