how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

daver22

join:2001-11-13
Libertyville, IL

[DSL] Bridge Mode Question

I am going to do the difficult and walk my brother in law through potentially bridging his modem (I beleive it is a Westell not sure if 6000 series, will get that info tonight). But he doesnt think he has a login/pw for pppoe.

I am former DSL customer, long since cable now - so is there a DSL service that wouldnt require a login? I was going to have him connect his laptop to the modem and check 192.168.1.1 and we'll see what we get.

Trying to prepare my steps for assisting him. We installed a webcam to his router - but the IP dyndns.com sees is 192.1681.47 - so I need to bridge through to his router and let it manage the DSL connection.

Appreciate any insghts or advice in advance. Dave

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
said by daver22:

I am former DSL customer, long since cable now - so is there a DSL service that wouldnt require a login?

While there are isp's that use a universal pppoe login, I doubt that is the situation with your brother in law.

said by daver22:

Trying to prepare my steps for assisting him. We installed a webcam to his router - but the IP dyndns.com sees is 192.1681.47 - so I need to bridge through to his router and let it manage the DSL connection.

I think you should find out what method of internet connection is used before configuring the webcam.
Can you post who the isp is?

daver22

Libertyville, IL
He told me Frontier is the ISP. He is near Niles, MI.

daver22

Libertyville, IL
reply to wayjac
I was there last weekend and we had the webcam working fine viewing from the wi-fi network, and even outside his network. but then he told me it stopped. So I first checked the dyndns to make sure I had the url:port correct and that's when I noticed the non-routable 192.168.1.47 on dyndns. I googled that - and found it's becuase the router really doesnt know the WAN IP - the modem is controlling that and should be put in bridge mode to have router handle the connection, etc.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by daver22:

I was there last weekend and we had the webcam working fine viewing from the wi-fi network, and even outside his network. but then he told me it stopped. So I first checked the dyndns to make sure I had the url:port correct and that's when I noticed the non-routable 192.168.1.47 on dyndns.

I agree with this.....

Changing the modem to bridge mode and changing the router so that it makes the internet connection is one option.....
But you need to know the internet connection method that is used.

Another option is to change the modem so that it puts the router in it's dmz and or if the modem can share it's public ip address with the router.

Knowing the make and model number of the modem and router is important.

daver22

Libertyville, IL
Modem model is a Westell 6100F (on the front) - the model # on the sticker is: F90610015-06 rev: J
ADSL2+ Modem

I think getting into the modem interface will be key - probably Sunday before I can do that. Hoping he finds some more documentation that might include login info.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by daver22:

I think getting into the modem interface will be key - probably Sunday before I can do that.

The modems ip address should be 192.168.1.1
Login may be admin/admin