spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Firefly, anyone?

OK, it might be too late for Firefly to return, but you get the idea. If Netflix can swing it, it might do well to make an offer to the producers of established shows that get axed by a network to get them to move over to Netflix.

The day that a show with cult status gets canned by a network and then revived by Netflix will be the day when the big media execs really start to worry. Because, if that show succeeds, every producer out there will realize that another distribution option has arrived.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Netflix is bring back Arrested Development. They've been discussing it for a while now. Not sure when it will hit, maybe later this year, or early 2014.
Arrested Development has a "cult" following, so it may do will [I think I read over 2 million people watch the re-runs when they last aired].
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Ah, I forgot about that one.

They might also want to consider bringing back one of the soap operas that were canceled in the last couple of years. Personally, I can't stand soap operas, but they have a following, they're relatively cheap to make, and they open up Netflix to a new demographic.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

Netflix is bring back Arrested Development. They've been discussing it for a while now. Not sure when it will hit, maybe later this year, or early 2014.
Arrested Development has a "cult" following, so it may do will [I think I read over 2 million people watch the re-runs when they last aired].

Arrested Development is supposed to be released on Netflix in May of this year.
I enjoyed House of Cards. I watched it over two days the first week it was released. I am also looking forward to watching Arrested Development this Spring.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to ISurfTooMuch

Premium Member

to ISurfTooMuch
said by ISurfTooMuch:

OK, it might be too late for Firefly to return, but you get the idea. If Netflix can swing it, it might do well to make an offer to the producers of established shows that get axed by a network to get them to move over to Netflix.

The day that a show with cult status gets canned by a network and then revived by Netflix will be the day when the big media execs really start to worry. Because, if that show succeeds, every producer out there will realize that another distribution option has arrived.

I wonder how sustainable that would be for Netflix, as it only collects $8/month from its subscribers currently. Ads aren't paying for the shows unless they build in product placement or something. Netflix only really makes money only if it increases the size of their customer pool.

Having a few high quality exclusives is a good idea (something already proven by HBO/Showtime), but there's probably diminishing returns. They need just enough shows to keep people paying the fee.