Search similar:

uniqs

Pbfoot
@sbcglobal.net

Pbfoot

Anon

Single Pole Contactor replaced, still makes buzzing/rattling

contactors
Last night when my furnace kicked on I could hear a loud rattling all throughout the house. When I took the panels off the inside unit to find the source I found that the single pole contactor was the culprit. Today I bought a replacement part and installed it, but that one is doing the same thing! It's not as loud as before and seems to quiet a little after the heater has run for a few minutes.

Don't pay attention to the text on the image because it's borrowed, but mine looks very much like the picture above.

Any insight from the pros out there as to what would make this keep rattling? The unit is American Standard TWE036C140B0
Thanks!

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike

Premium Member

Any way you could provide audio of the buzzing? That's unusual.

It almost sounds symptomatic of the contactor not fully closing. First make sure the coil is rated for the application. Next, with everything deengerized, operate the contactor with your hand and make sure the movement is smooth and it closes completely with no binding. Also check the voltage at the coil - if some resistance is being introduced somewhere (like a loose connection or bad crimp) it may leave the coil too weak to pull the contactor fully closed.

One other thing I would try, if you are comfortable, is first de-engerize the circuit that the contactor is switching. Then energize the coil circuit. Use an insulated tool or wooden dowel and push on the contactor to see if it closes further with manual intervention.

pbfoot
@sbcglobal.net

pbfoot

Anon

thanks for the quick reply. the contactor I bought is the direct replacement for the original. When I press in on the contactor it moves freely. With the furnace off, I press in on the contactor and I could hear the heating coil was getting a connection and was "warming up".
next I'll check all the connections again and test the voltage.
I was wondering- there are two breakers in there, a 30 and 60, could one of these be going bad and cause this contactor to not work properly?
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald to Pbfoot

to Pbfoot
Deja vu, from 47 years ago.

It is probably the limit switch, mounted on the same bracket. Contactor closes, the impact causes the limit switch contacts to open momentarily.

Start by dismounting the contactor. If problem stops, remount it and start dismounting other items, checking for for loose connections, etc.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

There are no limit switches on that type of contactor.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to Pbfoot

MVM

to Pbfoot
3 thoughts:
1) The contactor isn't properly / adequately installed or secured.
2) The transformer is unable to provide adequate voltage / current to hold the contactor closed. *Side question in relation* - Does this furnace have separate sequencers? I'm assuming yes. Is it the last element on?
3) Solid state contactors are available for replacement - they will cost more.

A little more information about the unit would be helpful. I'm unable to find a wiring diagram for the model number listed.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to Pbfoot

Premium Member

to Pbfoot
I've had new contactors which were really loud when first put in. After a couple dozen cycles the only noise they make is the "thunk" when switching.

/M

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to Pbfoot

Premium Member

to Pbfoot
There might be some dirt between the e-frame and the armature which is stopping the contactor from fully "sealing". This will cause noise. Since the amount of dirt is small, you may not notice it, and it -can- come from the factory like that.

Carefully disassemble it (usually straightforward...release clips on the side) and clean the mating surfaces of the electromagnetic parts. Reassemble and try again.
harald
Columbus, OH

harald to John Galt6

to John Galt6
said by John Galt6:

There are no limit switches on that type of contactor.

Look at the picture. It is adjacent to the contractor, just to the upper left. It may be line voltage, after the contactor, however.

I still bet on a bad "connection" somewhere.

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion

The confusion here is that harald is talking about the thermal limit switch, and john galt thought he was talking about a mechanical limit switch on the movement of the contactor itself....

Pbfoot
@sbcglobal.net

Pbfoot

Anon

Click for full size
Contactors

furnace
Click for full size
contactor diagram
Thanks to everyone for the information! Disregard the first picture in the post- as mentioned in the original post that was not my furnace, just a picture that closely matches my contactors.
After installing the replacement contactor, I dismounted it as harald suggested. When the furnace kicked on it continued to buzz as before.
I got out my voltmeter and checked the voltage on each wire with the furnace off and running. As you can see from the first picture, the voltage on the two blue wires are constant when the furnace is on or off, but the white wire is not. As pike mentioned this could be symptomatic of the contactor not fully closing.
Next I traced this white wire out of the box, through two connector blocks, to the group of white wires in picture two. The wire nut did seem loose when I touched it, so I put a new wire nut on it and checked all the others. The problem continues.
The third picture is the wiring diagram that is on the panel covering the contactors. I didn't realize the resolution on the camera was set so low, so if anyone needs a larger picture let me know.
The only thing that I have done recently (last Nov.) was to install a Nest thermostat. No problems installing it and no issues with the furnace until last night.
Again, I appreciate everyone's help. I've been unemployed since last June, so I need to figure this out and avoid calling an HVAC repairman if possible.
harald
Columbus, OH

harald

Disconnect the coil on the single-pole contactor and wire the coil directly to the low-voltage side of the stepdown transformer. (Open the breakers that supply the furnace heating elements first.)

Does it still buzz? I still suspect that there is a loose connection somewhere on the low voltage side.

shdesigns