Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS

How do I make this into an ISO Image??

There's got to be a way to do this...

I have a ZIP file that I need to put into an ISO image, so I can mount it inside an Virtual Machine, on an ESXi server. The tools I can find will very happily create an ISO image from an existing CD / DVD, but I can't take an individual file and put it into an ISO image.

Soooo.. Yep, I burned the ZIP file to a CD, then turned around and used a tool to convert the CD into an ISO image. --Then mounted the ISO into to vm.

I'm just trying to get a ZIP file onto the Linux filesystem (which is the vm). This is a test environment, and I don't have any other linux vm's that I can bunny-hop thru, or that I can use to SCP a file in. --Mounting an ISO from the ESXi data-store is the easiest method of file-transfer (or so I thought)???

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3
Use MagicISO. Install MagicISO, add to image file, save as .ISO. Mount to your VM, extract contents of ISO.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to batsona
having a spare linux vm in times like this is invaluable.

»www.google.com/search?q=make+iso···t=safari

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

rsaturns

join:2004-12-06
Beaverton, OR
reply to batsona
Or Deep Burner. Add the file to the project and then go to burn just click the save ISO button. Oh and it's free always handy. But yes also agree Linux FTW.
--
»tripplehelix.net

Serbtastic
You Know How Many People I Have Buried?
Premium
join:2002-02-24
Stoney Creek, ON
reply to batsona
Why not put the zip file on a Windows SMB share and mount the share within the Linux VM?

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to batsona
If you're just trying to get the file from a Windows box into this Linux VM, just install WinSCP on the Windows box. You can then secure copy the file directly*; no burning necessary.

* This of course presumes Linux is built properly to accept SSH/SCP/SFTP access, and is on a network reachable by the Windows box.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
said by Wily_One:

If you're just trying to get the file from a Windows box into this Linux VM, just install WinSCP on the Windows box. You can then secure copy the file directly*; no burning necessary.

* This of course presumes Linux is built properly to accept SSH/SCP/SFTP access, and is on a network reachable by the Windows box.

This is probably the easiest method. I work for a company that works with dozens of clients that have shared hardware (like a cloud) and we deal with RDPing into computers, SSH/SCP into ESXi hosts, Linux VMs, AIX, etc. We run into this kind of shit all the time and WinSCP works most of the time. Just make sure the ports are open for it and that you can reach it through the network.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to exocet_cm
CDburnerXP can make iso's and it's free.

The WeaseL
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota
reply to batsona
ImgBurn will do it as well, free burning program, I like it a lot.

fcisler
Premium
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY
reply to batsona
Seconded imgburn.

I have TFTP/SFTP/Windows Shares etc etc

I run into this occasionally when it's in an isolated environment and don't easily have network connectivity to the device(s).

imgburn, create iso, mount. Done.

batsona
Maryland

Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS
reply to batsona
OP here: Thanks all -- I'll check out those free tools. My Linux vm on that ESXi server is purposfully isolated from any network (it has the same IP as its counterpart on the production network). Therefore, my only option is to mount an ISO. I'll check out those free tools.

nightwalker
Nightwalker

join:1999-08-07
Chicago, IL
reply to batsona
From the bash prompt, you can use the mkisofs command. So you would first need to unzip that file to a directory. Once it's unzipped you can then make your ISO.

IE:
thetick:/home# mkisofs -r -o /home/subsonic.iso /home/subsonic

Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 539557
Total directory bytes: 1269760
Path table size(bytes): 4758
Max brk space used 461000
363500 extents written (709 MB)

thetick:/home# ls -ald subsonic.iso
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 744448000 2013-03-01 11:42 subsonic.iso

--
»www.reverse.net

batsona
Maryland

Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS
reply to batsona
OP here: I used ImgBurn. Downloaded from CNET. Even tho I un-checked the box that says, "YES! Please install every toolbar known to man for me!!!!" It still installed a chat client, and a toolbar. Grrr... After prying those out of my system, I was able to create an ISO, containing my ZIP file. I had to keep it in ZIP format, because it contains a linux-only update utility. (must unzip in Linux, not in Windows). NASTY things happen to the file permissions that way.. Problem solved -- thanks all!