All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc

Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB

Even if I could get 50/10 or whatever through DSL today, I wouldn't switch away from cable.

Sorry to be so blunt but the CRTC should have taken this into account, forgotten about DSL, and solely focused on making faster cable packages available to everyone and for a decent price, with very high usage caps (if not unlimited).

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by d4m1r:

Even if I could get 50/10 or whatever through DSL today, I wouldn't switch away from cable.

Sorry to be so blunt but the CRTC should have taken this into account, forgotten about DSL, and solely focused on making faster cable packages available to everyone and for a decent price, with very high usage caps (if not unlimited).

Sorry, I'd take 50/10 DSL over 60/3 cable any day of the week.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by Guspaz:

That 3-meg upload is changing to 10-meg in April. Is it not?
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee

I thought that will be for videotron people only.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by mikee:

Whatever Videotron does for their own customers, has to be matched for wholesale.
It may be a price increase though. Who knows.

Hense why Rogers is in shit right now. They didn't offer TPIA 45/7, and CRTC is now asking questions:
»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archi ··· 3-80.htm

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to mikee

Anon

to mikee
said by mikee:

Yes, which is where the person I replied to resides.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

If what was announced in Videotron's forum is real, all TGV tiers are getting bumped to 10Mbps upload in April.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by InvalidError:

If what was announced in Videotron's forum is real,

Yes, they made a press release.
Among other things, an itsy bitsy teenie tiny increase in usage (or the unlimited option), upload increased to 10-meg, business internet no longer with caps, unlimited (again).

See this bottom of this:
»www.montrealgazette.com/ ··· ory.html
InvalidError

InvalidError to resa1983

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

Hense why Rogers is in shit right now. They didn't offer TPIA 45/7, and CRTC is now asking questions:

Is that 7Mbps on Rogers actually an "option"? There is no mention of it anywhere on Rogers' plan description so I would be inclined to believe the 7Mbps is simply something Rogers is starting to roll out and will eventually become standard but isn't quite official yet.

The optional upload speed thing is more about Bell's 15/1 vs 15/10 where they charged $4 extra, making 15/10 more expensive than 25/10 and 50/10 which makes no sense and is the reason nobody ever offered it.
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by InvalidError:

said by resa1983:

Is that 7Mbps on Rogers actually an "option"? There is no mention of it anywhere on Rogers' plan description so I would be inclined to believe the 7Mbps is simply something Rogers is starting to roll out and will eventually become standard but isn't quite official yet.

The optional upload speed thing is more about Bell's 15/1 vs 15/10 where they charged $4 extra, making 15/10 more expensive than 25/10 and 50/10 which makes no sense and is the reason nobody ever offered it.

Yes, 7mbps upload on Rogers is an option, and has been since 2011.

10mbps upload option on Bell is only available in certain areas, but they still filed it.

Rogers couldn't be even bothered to do that, despite offering it to new customers, and giving it to those who asked.

From my last submission:
»Re: Rogers Upstream Bonding

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to InvalidError

MVM

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

If what was announced in Videotron's forum is real, all TGV tiers are getting bumped to 10Mbps upload in April.

That's surprising, since Videotron doesn't support upstream bonding, although perhaps that's changing in April. It's too bad, I'd consider taking 60/10 cable over 50/10 DSL, but with the CBB rates the CRTC just set, cable will never be competitive with DSL.
InvalidError

InvalidError to resa1983

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

10mbps upload option on Bell is only available in certain areas, but they still filed it.

The "option" requires VDSL2 and Bell was required to file tariffs for VDSL2 access so the 10Mbps option (7Mbps at the time) is available wherever VDSL2 is.

However, the "option" makes 15/10 more expensive than 25/10 wholesale so what few ISPs ever offered it quickly scrapped it since it made no sense.
said by resa1983:

Rogers couldn't be even bothered to do that, despite offering it to new customers, and giving it to those who asked.

The threads you linked very much say the 7Mbps was a progressive roll-out, not an option.
InvalidError

InvalidError to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

That's surprising, since Videotron doesn't support upstream bonding, although perhaps that's changing in April. It's too bad, I'd consider taking 60/10 cable over 50/10 DSL, but with the CBB rates the CRTC just set, cable will never be competitive with DSL.

Quite puzzling that they haven't enabled bonding yet. They certainly have all the equipment so support should be little more than a few administrative commands away to enable it on their CMTS.

As for CBB rates, cable certainly lost a lot of its potential appeal there. Only time will tell how that shakes out.
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983 to InvalidError

Premium Member

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by resa1983:

The "option" requires VDSL2 and Bell was required to file tariffs for VDSL2 access so the 10Mbps option (7Mbps at the time) is available wherever VDSL2 is.

However, the "option" makes 15/10 more expensive than 25/10 wholesale so what few ISPs ever offered it quickly scrapped it since it made no sense.
said by resa1983:

The threads you linked very much say the 7Mbps was a progressive roll-out, not an option.

150/10 is also a progressive roll-out on Rogers I do believe, but they still filed tariffs for it.
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by resa1983:

150/10 is also a progressive roll-out on Rogers I do believe, but they still filed tariffs for it.

150/10 is a new tier advertised in size 80 font in their service description pages, which makes it pretty official and rather hard to miss, unlike the 7Mbps speed bump offered on a need-to-ask basis.

With the CRTC's request to file tariffs including upload speeds, you'll know soon enough whether Rogers decides to make it an official speed bump or make it a premium wholesale option.
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by InvalidError:

said by resa1983:

150/10 is a new tier advertised in size 80 font in their service description pages, which makes it pretty official and rather hard to miss, unlike the 7Mbps speed bump offered on a need-to-ask basis.

With the CRTC's request to file tariffs including upload speeds, you'll know soon enough whether Rogers decides to make it an official speed bump or make it a premium wholesale option.

They were bumping people to it without them even asking in 2011.. Thats the main reason I think it's unfair.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

said by InvalidError:

said by resa1983:

Yes, 7mbps upload on Rogers is an option, and has been since 2011.

From my last submission:

SSDD - and that ain't Solid State Disk Drive.

So Rogers doesn't give TPIA the same speeds for a long time. Big deal. Now it's back in the indie court to spend money on lawyers to file & re-file & re-file documents and submissions to the CRTC - burning a big hole in their pockets with legal fees up the wazoo. Rogers doesn't give a flying f!ck. The CRTC has no teeth. And so it'll take another 6-12 months to get this shite resolved, and Rogers continues to have a competitive advantage.

It's just one regular, my friends..... another day in the life of incumbents and the impotent CRTC.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

said by InvalidError:

That's surprising, since Videotron doesn't support upstream bonding

There have been a couple of postings here over the past few days of people reporting 3X upstream bonding in Quebec.. I assume those are on Videotron (?).

Edit: Can't find them right now.. I could have been confusing Cogeco's recent 3X uplink with Videotron in my mind.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by mlord:

Edit: Can't find them right now.. I could have been confusing Cogeco's recent 3X uplink with Videotron in my mind.

Cogeco's doing four channel 64QAM in a bunch of places, too.

But yeah, they're running three upstream channels on my node. My DPC3000 won't tell me if they're 16 or 64, though.

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33

Will The SBG6580 Modem Work On Teksavvy Cable? 8*4 Channel Bonding..

TSI Marc?

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to mlord

Anon

to mlord
said by mlord:

said by Guspaz:

said by InvalidError:

That's surprising, since Videotron doesn't support upstream bonding

There have been a couple of postings here over the past few days of people reporting 3X upstream bonding in Quebec.. I assume those are on Videotron (?).

4 channel bonding on upstream w/ videotron. Been like that for about 4 years minimum, as far as I recall.

Videotron & Shaw have been one of the best and most advanced cable companies is all of North America in terms of speed deployment in both upstream, downstream, and in terms of first to deploy. I think the Docsis 3 wiki even mentions it.

I don't know about Shaw, but Videotron has had 300-meg down and 100-meg up test beds since... going by memory since ~2009-2008.

@mlord, yeah I recall a few topics over the past few years talking about it. Tried looking, couldn't find them either.

Just came across this blog from 3 years ago though:
»www.cedmagazine.com/blog ··· h-64-qam

Been a few years... this isn't anything new with videotron. Not sure where people are getting that they have no upstream bonding...

I also seem to recall a Motorola or Cisco white-paper on videotron and their set-up and the research they all put in to become the first and fastest in all of North America. I *think* it might have been on Goldbergs blog 3-4 years ago.

Anyhow... been a few years. Nothing new.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to MJB33

to MJB33
said by MJB33:

Will The SBG6580 Modem Work On Teksavvy Cable? 8*4 Channel Bonding..

TSI Marc?

Only the modems listed on TekSavvy's website in the Approved Modems list under Cable packages are allowed by Rogers on their network.

As for will it work, some users here on DSLR have gotten non-approved Motorola modems with TekSavvy accounts. They report it as SB6121 and give them the serial number of their modem. This is not recommended though, if you ever have any issues like DHCP. line sync/quality or other issues that need to get forwarded to Rogers for a ticket, they can simply deny support on the basis of an unsupported CPE device being connected.