All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Thunder047
join:2013-02-22
Greenwood, IN

Thunder047

[Signals] Constant T3 timeouts since firmware update (SB6121)

I've been having T3 timeouts all the time since the latest firmware update. It seems to be random times but once it starts they will continue for a couple hrs and resetting modem doesn't help. I know a lot of people with this modem combined with comcast have been having the same problems.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I have a friends that works at comcast and he could not see anything wrong with my line/node.

Would upgrading to the SB6141 or changing to a different modem fix these issues?

Here are my signal stats and error log:

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Re: [Signals] Constant T3 timeouts since firmware update (SB6121

You can try reconfiguring any splitters to the modem to bring your upstream signals all in the 40s while it will lower the downstream levels closer to "0".

wiz562
@comcast.net

wiz562

Anon

Good luck...that's all I can say.

I have a SB6121 and receive the T3 reboots randomly. THere's no rhyme or reason to this, it just happens to me. I've had comcast out a number of times but they say everything is fine, and they can't figure it out unless it happens while they are there. That's great...only except that it happens randomly. Sometimes it'll be fine for 2 weeks, then in three days, it will reboot 10 times.

They replaced it with the Cisco cable modem, but that wasn't any better. It prevented me from accessing the logs so I didn't know what hte uptime was, but according to a custom pinger I wrote, it was still doing the rebooting.

I would like to try the newest surfboard out, but don't feel like spending the money on it only to find out it's still happening.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Random T3s are normal with any modem.
Thunder047
Greenwood, IN

Thunder047

Only splitter before modem is right off the line to split modem and TV cables, no other splitters along the modem cable.

I know T3s are common for any modem but there is a problem with the SB6120/6121 modems and comcast after the 2 firmware updates in the past 8 months. Just look at the comcast forum thread about it. Had no problems at all before the updates. I can understand a few T3s but to have it last a couple hours and happen 2-4 times a day is ridiculous. It causes my speeds and ping to fluctuate severely so that I can't stream anything, play games and barely browse the web.

It seems comcast refuses to admit that there is a problem and will not do anything but charge you for service visits that are not needed. I've had a couple techs here while it was happening and they couldn't find anything wrong on my end.

I'm just wondering if I change to the SB6141 or a Zoom should I expect the same problems?
catnapped
join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA

catnapped to Thunder047

to Thunder047
Seems like it's very sensitive to conditions. Had them almost constantly about 2 weeks ago for a couple of days and haven't been back since.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to Thunder047

MVM

to Thunder047
said by Thunder047:

I'm just wondering if I change to the SB6141 or a Zoom should I expect the same problems?

I believe the 6141 uses the same firmware, as it's just an 8-channel version.
The Zoom 5341J seems to be OK overall based on what I've been reading.
Thunder047
Greenwood, IN

Thunder047

Still getting the random T3 errors even after the somewhat recent firmware update and speed upgrade. Normally will get 50/10 but then during the errors the speeds are all over the place, anywhere from .5/.5 to the normal 50/10. I have talked to a buddy at comcast, he works in the TV side of it now though, and he has said that my node is overloaded and causes them quite a few problems.