Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 recommendation

[Updated] Hard Disk Sentinel 4.30 released

quote:
Hard Disk Sentinel 4.30 released with important updates for various hardware devices, motherboards and improved compatibility, features. Download now from »www.hdsentinel.com or use the automatic update from the File menu.
Hard Disk Sentinel 4.30 (22/2/2013)
Improvements and new features, improved hardware support:

• important update for hard disks / SSDs connected to motherboards with Intel chipsets

• important update for multi-drive enclosures (port multiplier and RAID enclosures)

• important update for various SSDs (Corsair Force GT SSDs, Samsung SSDs, etc.)

• display progress (% complete) on application button during hard disk surface test

• improved support of VANTEX HX4R, Chieftec, Sans Digital external RAID enclosures

• improved support for LSI SAS/SATA RAID controllers and DELL SAS/SATA RAID controllers

• improved support and health detection for various Seagate hard disks, for example Seagate Thin hard disks and Seagate hard disks with special firmware

• improved support for Areca RAID controllers, accessing hard disks and SSDs in different connected enclosures, displaying enclosure number and slot number

• improved support of JMicron JMB36X / Gigabyte GBB36X / HighPoint / VIA RAID controllers under Windows 2003
• added support for newer WD hard disk (WD RED, WD Enterprise RE, etc.)

• support of HighPoint 4522 RAID controller: detecting and displaying connected SATA hard disks (standalone and configured as RAID)

Note: Free version for Linux & DOS.

seaman
Premium
join:2000-12-08
Seattle, WA

2 recommendations

said by chachazz:

Hard Disk Sentinel 4.30 (22/2/2013)
Improvements and new features, improved hardware support:

This looks like a really good program. I just pulled the trigger on 5 user Pro license for only $62.50. Thanks for the post!

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz

Very nice looking update!
I have 4.20 Pro. Gonna go grab it now, thanks chachazz See Profile!

Bug fixes, further modifications:
•fixed periodic false alarms reported by older Intel chipset drivers (providing invalid S.M.A.R.T. information)
•fixed invalid S.M.A.R.T. information reported by LSI SAS RAID controllers for standalone (non-RAID) SATA drives
•fixed display of volume labels in hard disk selector (upper left area) if one or more partitions have no assigned logical drive letter
•general improvements for Chinese language, fixed hard disk temperature symbol in Sidebar Gadget when Chinese language used
•fixed warranty check for Samsung hard disk drives
•fixed startup problem with Drobo enclosures / devices
•improved real time performance graph display
•improved and more stable dynamic DNS update function

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 edit

1 recommendation

You're welcome seaman See Profile (that's a lifetime license);
and Dustyn See Profile, thanks for posting the bug fix items missed.

(Pro users are entitled to the Portable version also).

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn

said by Dustyn:

Very nice looking update!
I have 4.20 Pro. Gonna go grab it now, thanks chachazz See Profile!

Any chance you could give your impressions of this app? Obviously you like it, but any comments other than that?
Thanks.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

1 edit

3 recommendations

Well, I wanted something that I could use to monitor (in real time) the S.M.A.R.T. data and overall health of my hard disk drives. Hard Disk Sentinel does that and more. It logs anything you need to know about. It shows disk performance, temperatures, alerts and more. You can configure HDD to alert you via system messages or e-mail when the health/space/temperature reaches a default or predetermined threshold. If that threshold is reached... in addition to alerts you can also instruct HDD to hibernate, shutdown or perform a panic backup of your files in the event of a total system failure. Now, I originally had HDDLife by BinarySense Inc and I'll say it did a great job too. However, if I had any questions that I could not locate an answer for through whatever online help existed, I was out of luck. I was pretty disgusted with their support system... or I should say their TOTAL LACK of a support system. I've sent a few technical support inquiries to them (directly and via their online submission form) and it appears as if they do not have any support as I do not receive any replies, automated or human. I soon after dumped HDDLife for HDS after seeing their impressive online support system in place for their product. The online help file is very thorough and very well written. I've found most if not ALL of my answers through the online help file. I bought the lifetime license key shortly after when it was at version 4.10 I believe. I have HDS monitoring "2" internal SATA 3TB drives, and "4" external eSATA 3TB drives all in a single drive enclosure. What impresses me is the ability to read all of the external drive temperatures, statistics and S.M.A.R.T. data all through "1" single eSATA cable. My eSATA card and enclosure is documented and on the supported hardware list. I think the key to having a future potential customer is a great support system. I think these guys have it! I don't know if this helps you any KeysCapt See Profile... but if you have any other questions about it that I haven't touched upon, feel free to ask! I know there are other users here too who love the product as much as I do!
»www.hdsentinel.com/support.php
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

2 recommendations

In addition...
I just sent in a test report to the developer of Hard Disk Sentinel to check out and possibly have him add my external Startech INFOSAFE 3.5" 4 Drive eSATA USB External Hard Drive Enclosure (SAT3540U2E) to the compatible external hard disk enclosures page. He promptly replied today:

quote:
Dear Dustyn:

Thanks for the Hard Disk Sentinel report and thanks for using registered version of the software!

Thanks for the information !
As I see, the enclosure is connected to Silicon Image controller and things work correctly:
status of all hard disks are correctly detected and displayed in Hard Disk Sentinel.
I just added the device to the list of compatible devices ( »www.hdsentinel.com/compatibility···isks.php )

Thanks for the information again and your help!

If you have any questions or I can help, please let me know.

Have a nice day,
-name removed-
developer
www.hdsentinel.com
info@hdsentinel.com
Find us on: www.facebook.com/HDSentinel
I see it's now on their supported list of external drive enclosures. I sent the report through the program itself and typed in some additional information I thought may be relevant to the developer. I forgot to discuss what eSATA card the external unit was connected to, but the report included that information I guess as he knew it was a Silicon Image device. The SPECIFIC model number was already fully supported by HDS.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
reply to chachazz

What does this paid software do that free software, like MHDD or the manufacturer's diagnostic tools, can't do?

seaman
Premium
join:2000-12-08
Seattle, WA

1 edit

2 recommendations

said by urbanriot:

What does this paid software do that free software, like MHDD or the manufacturer's diagnostic tools, can't do?

Diagnosis, repair, optimization, monitoring, reporting, auto-backup, auto-shutdown. Basically, too many features to list. I am learning a lot about this hard drive technology just by configuring this product.
»www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sen···features

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
Carson City, NV

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn

Thanks for the in-depth info, both of you. I've been using Crystal Disk, which is pretty informative, but wanted to know what more this app could do.

Got it and installed it.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

Any time to play around with it yet? So what do you think?

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
Carson City, NV

1 recommendation

So far it's pretty cool. Haven't really wrung it out yet.