how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@rr.com

Microsoft and Nikon Sign Android Patent Agreement

From Microsoft - Feb. 21, 2013:

Microsoft Corp. and Nikon Corporation have signed a patent licensing agreement that provides broad coverage under Microsoft’s patent portfolio for certain Nikon cameras running the Android platform. While the contents of the agreement will not be disclosed, Microsoft will receive royalties from Nikon.

More:
Nikon signs patent deal with Microsoft for Android-based cameras

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

What? No Surface Camera Pro Extreme HD edition?

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to FF4m3

I would love to see a list of the patents, Because really Nikon is a camera not a tablet, phone or a desktop computer.

This is also why at times patents scare me. Think you are being smart and whip up an android powered home automation system and get sued by a company who you would never think to check against in that field.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Pjr
Don't Panic

join:2005-12-11
UK

You can help fix patent laws … now!

While Barack Obama frets about patent law and trolls attack even helpful government e-health initiatives, IP experts around the world are quietly working on something that might just help: a survey!

Not just any survey, mind. This one was created by Tegernsee Experts Group, an entity composed of representatives from patent offices in Denmark, France, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom and the USA. The European Patent Office is playing, too, and other patent offices like Australia's are watching the group's proceedings closely and urging locals to participate.

As one of the commentards on El Reg notes

Well...

Surveys, harmonisation and reform are one way we could fix the issue of patent trolling. The other would be to abduct the CEOs of each major tech company and beat them with wrenches until they stop being assholes.

--
Overflow error in /dev/null

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

I think we should forgo the wrench beating. They might sue us for infringing on their patent. I mean by now someone must have a patent on "The act of beating someone senseless with a hand tool."
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Pjr
Don't Panic

join:2005-12-11
UK

1 edit

1 recommendation

I knew it couldn't be that simple.
--
Overflow error in /dev/null

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

I would love to see a list of the patents, Because really Nikon is a camera not a tablet, phone or a desktop computer.

Microsoft claims Linux infringes on 235 of their patents, but no one has ever seen them nor have they ever been tested in court.

»arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2007···n-linux/

Microsoft made their first patent deal with Novell for SUSE Linux. Since then I have lost count of all the patent deals that have come after. One hold out has always been Red Hat though.
--
Verizon FiOS subscriber since 2005 | Mac owner since 1990 | Fedora user since 2006 | CentOS user since 2007 | "Anyone who is unwilling to learn is entitled to absolutely nothing." - graysonf | EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

Think you are being smart and whip up an android powered home automation system and get sued by a company who you would never think to check against in that field.

A lawsuit could only be brought against you if you distributed the home automation system. It could not be brought forward if you only develop it and use it in-house.