Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

1 edit

Police Officer banned from kids hockey game.

An 'honourable' (sic) officer has been banned from all hockey games in Cambridge after assaulting an official (a linesman) at his kids hockey game.

»kitchener.ctvnews.ca/police-offi···.1168128

Naturally, he shouldn't be treated any differently than any other parent. Most likely he will be treated differently than other parents. However, I'm still trying to figure out why his lawyer is saying that the assault was justifiable.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
The assault is not justified and as an authority figure in the community in our out of uniform his conduct in public can and should be scrutinized. His superiors should ensure he has a disciplinary interview and probably recommend anger management or other counselling.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to J E F F
Well as the defense the lawyer would justify the clients actions as proper. The game is on the ice and refs are there to control the game. While they may not always make calls the audience agrees with, it doesn't mean Mr macho cop overrules. No matter how nice of a guy I am sure he is.

Used to help coach my son's soccer and see this shit all the time as many of you all have as well. Everyone thinks their kid is the next Great one.

Assault is justified, cops being cops

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to Anav
Most of the kids playing sports would be better off if their parents stayed away from their games. Take the kid to the arena and then go to a local coffee shop and return when the game is over. The things I've seen parents do at games is disgraceful. Besides berating officials, I have seen way too many parents berate their own kids if the parent doesn't like their level of play.
--
I will be perfectly happy if the budget cuts specified in the Budget Control Act go into effect. 3 cheers for the sequester. Take the money from the drunken federal spenders.

Thingamajig
Premium
join:2004-11-03
B.C.
reply to J E F F
Official is lucky. If this cop was on the west coast he would have been tasered the poor sap.
--
Some hero's wear capes, mine wear combat boots.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
reply to Anav
If found guilty of assault would his job be at risk?

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
said by graniterock:

If found guilty of assault would his job be at risk?

"removed from duty with pay"

be nice if i could do that, but you get suspended without pay if you screw up in the real world.

he might not have a job, but he might just shift into "early retirement" depending on age.

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

Naturally, he shouldn't be treated any differently than any other parent. Most likely he will be treated differently than other parents. However, I'm still trying to figure out why his lawyer is saying that the assault was justifiable.

What the hell are you talking about? This cop has the power to arrest you while off duty, by law he is allowed so I expect this gorrilla to behave accordingly even if he's out of his uniform.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
said by Xstar_Lumini:

said by J E F F:

What the hell are you talking about? This cop has the power to arrest you while off duty, by law he is allowed so I expect this gorrilla to behave accordingly even if he's out of his uniform.

So you agree then that he should be held to even a higher standard while off duty, since he's an officer? I see no problem with that.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
Yes, he should, as was noted, your really never off duty in public.
It speaks to credibility and confidence the public has in one to do their job.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
said by Anav:

Yes, he should, as was noted, your really never off duty in public.
It speaks to credibility and confidence the public has in one to do their job.

And parents really, really, need to just chillax at these games.

The Guelph police usually stay off of the radar though. Not saying it has anything to do with their chief, but he was hired from our force (WRPS), so who knows of the mentality has changed somewhat.
--

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

1 recommendation

reply to J E F F
And there is more sillyness with hockey:

»www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/02···ame.html

Police have arrested a 29-year-old man after a teenage referee was allegedly threatened and kicked following a minor hockey game in Port Perry.
Durham Regional Police said the incident began when a group of parents confronted the 17-year-old male referee for a game by novice at the Scugog Arena on Feb.19.

Come on people, it is just a fucking game! It is NOT important in any way.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
Novice? They're 8 year-olds for Christ's sakes. Get a grip people!
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
I have been in a situation where my son's soccer team parents almost beat up a moronic referee who did not called penalties committed by the other team, maybe he had a nephew playing in the opposing team?

Good, fair referees are not threatened or assulted, do your job right and everybody will be happy.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
said by Xstar_Lumini:

Good, fair referees are not threatened or assulted, do your job right and everybody will be happy.

rarely do you ever hear of a "good" ref from both sides.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit
reply to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

And what Disney world is that? Many parents see referee calls thru their own distortion filter where their child can do no wrong and the other team are nothing but barbarians.
--
I will be perfectly happy if the budget cuts specified in the Budget Control Act go into effect. 3 cheers for the sequester. Take the money from the drunken federal spenders.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
said by FFH5:

said by Xstar_Lumini:

And what Disney world is that? Many parents see referee calls thru their own distortion filter where their child can do no wrong and the other team are nothing but barbarians.

Absolutely true. Years ago I was at a taping of a kids' TV game show and what you don't see on TV is the reaction of some of the parents when their kid doesn't win. It can get pretty grim. One woman got so obnoxious that the staff were offering her little brat consolation prizes just to shut her up. The next step would have been to get security to throw them both out. No wonder some kids grow up to be such assholes -- they learned it from their parents.
--
I go and lie down where the wood drake rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds. I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief. For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and I am free.

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
reply to J E F F
I wonder what the "other side" to the story is that this defense lawyer is touting.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

I have been in a situation where my son's soccer team parents almost beat up a moronic referee who did not called penalties committed by the other team, maybe he had a nephew playing in the opposing team?

You sir are part of the problem and should abstain from attending any sports competitiions involving minors.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by Anav:

said by Xstar_Lumini:

You sir are part of the problem and should abstain from attending any sports competitiions involving minors.

I agree. Refs always miss calls, no matter how good they are, they do not have eyes in the backs of their heads. On that note, I think the best refs for anything would be moms!
--

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by Xstar_Lumini:

When a kid drops another kid with a karate kick who is about to score a goal and knocks him violently to the ground that's a penalty.... it's irrevelent what filter sunglasses anyone is wearing, it's a peanalty all the way, and when the stupid referee sees this right in front of him 10-ft away and motions with his hands that there's "nothing" and to keep on playing that's when the parents of my kid's team pushed him against a wall and were about to beat the crap out of him.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

1 recommendation

said by Xstar_Lumini:

said by FFH5:

said by Xstar_Lumini:

When a kid drops another kid with a karate kick who is about to score a goal and knocks him violently to the ground that's a penalty.... it's irrevelent what filter sunglasses anyone is wearing, it's a peanalty all the way, and when the stupid referee sees this right in front of him 10-ft away and motions with his hands that there's "nothing" and to keep on playing that's when the parents of my kid's team pushed him against a wall and were about to beat the crap out of him.

Does not change the fact that those parents are all assholes for acting that way.
--

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini
I bet the parents of the other team saw the exact opposite of you, and are saying that the ref is bang on correct.
--