uniqs
share rss forum feed

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to resa1983

Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB

said by resa1983:

10mbps upload option on Bell is only available in certain areas, but they still filed it.

The "option" requires VDSL2 and Bell was required to file tariffs for VDSL2 access so the 10Mbps option (7Mbps at the time) is available wherever VDSL2 is.

However, the "option" makes 15/10 more expensive than 25/10 wholesale so what few ISPs ever offered it quickly scrapped it since it made no sense.

said by resa1983:

Rogers couldn't be even bothered to do that, despite offering it to new customers, and giving it to those who asked.

The threads you linked very much say the 7Mbps was a progressive roll-out, not an option.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
said by InvalidError:

said by resa1983:

10mbps upload option on Bell is only available in certain areas, but they still filed it.

The "option" requires VDSL2 and Bell was required to file tariffs for VDSL2 access so the 10Mbps option (7Mbps at the time) is available wherever VDSL2 is.

However, the "option" makes 15/10 more expensive than 25/10 wholesale so what few ISPs ever offered it quickly scrapped it since it made no sense.

said by resa1983:

Rogers couldn't be even bothered to do that, despite offering it to new customers, and giving it to those who asked.

The threads you linked very much say the 7Mbps was a progressive roll-out, not an option.

150/10 is also a progressive roll-out on Rogers I do believe, but they still filed tariffs for it.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
said by resa1983:

150/10 is also a progressive roll-out on Rogers I do believe, but they still filed tariffs for it.

150/10 is a new tier advertised in size 80 font in their service description pages, which makes it pretty official and rather hard to miss, unlike the 7Mbps speed bump offered on a need-to-ask basis.

With the CRTC's request to file tariffs including upload speeds, you'll know soon enough whether Rogers decides to make it an official speed bump or make it a premium wholesale option.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
said by InvalidError:

said by resa1983:

150/10 is a new tier advertised in size 80 font in their service description pages, which makes it pretty official and rather hard to miss, unlike the 7Mbps speed bump offered on a need-to-ask basis.

With the CRTC's request to file tariffs including upload speeds, you'll know soon enough whether Rogers decides to make it an official speed bump or make it a premium wholesale option.

They were bumping people to it without them even asking in 2011.. Thats the main reason I think it's unfair.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP