shredhead to More Fiber

Anon

to More Fiber

Re: just got TV but trouble with Verizon router

said by More Fiber:

said by shredhead :

dhcp is disabled

That's going to be a problem.

The STBs need to get DHCP addresses. Checking guide data is not an accurate way to determine if the STB have internet access since they store up to two weeks of data.
Try watching a VOD program to verify that the STBs can access the internet.

See option #6 in the following FAQ for the correct way to implement Primary LAN-to-WAN.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

I'm not sure why but the STB's are static addresses. I do believe they were DHCP earlier in the day when I started messing with things. Anyway, I can turn DHCP back on since I just realized I have nothing plugged into the LAN ports. Maybe if the STBs reboot they will flip back to DHCP on their own. It doesn't matter.

But I have no remote access to the DVR (I checked verizon.net and I will also try my iPad once it's done charging). That appears to be the only thing that doesn't work but I would like it to work since I travel a lot and my wife isn't so good with electronics. It's likely she will be asking me how to record shows and if that feature works I could do it remotely or she could too from her iPad.

So I need to explore other configuration options which will allow remote DVR access. I will be checking out option 8 in the faq or going back to the verizon router as primary.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by shredhead :

I'm not sure why but the STB's are static addresses.

No, the STBs do not use static IP addresses. If you did not reboot (power cycle) them, they would have retained their previous DHCP addresses until the DHCP lease expired.
said by shredhead :

Maybe if the STBs reboot they will flip back to DHCP on their own. It doesn't matter.

Yes, it does matter. If you reboot the STBs, they will request a new DHCP lease. If they are not able to obtain a DHCP lease, VOD and guide data updates will not function.
said by shredhead :

But I have no remote access to the DVR.

That is a disadvantage of option #6 which is documented in the FAQ.