Search similar:

uniqs

briman27
join:2004-01-25
Hackettstown, NJ

1 edit

briman27

Sprint Roaming

Based on the research I've done, I understand that Sprint roams on Verizon? I'm considering buying an iPad through Sprint because they have the special tablet plan for 1 GB for $15/month -- the only thing holding me back is their awful coverage in some of the areas I travel in Upstate New York. But if they roam on Verizon, I wouldn't have a problem. My main question is, does Sprint roam onto Verizon's 3G network, or does it only roam onto their 2G or 1X networks? I know Sprint can't roam onto their 4G LTE network, but I'm not sure about 3G. Thank you.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

4 edits

dib22

I don't believe sprints 4G can roam... but the 3G roaming usage bucket is very limited...
said by sprint terms and conditions :

Off-network Roaming: The primary use of your Device must be for domestic purposes within the Sprint-owned network. Domestic means use in the 50 United States and U.S. Territories (except Guam). Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes. The display on your device may not always be on and will not indicate whether you will incur roaming charges. Sprint As You Go™- Sprint may terminate service if off-network roaming usage in a month exceeds: (1) 400 min. or a majority of min.; or (2) 100 MB or a majority of KB. You can monitor usage online through My Account. Roaming is not available with single-band phones, or to customers who reside or whose primary use is outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may limit or terminate service if you move outside of the Sprint owned-network.

As you can see the roaming bucket is rather shallow on sprint.

Burried in the webpage when you click the terms for the ipad they have this:

Data Usage Limitation: Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to limit throughput speeds, and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes. Unlimited features are while on the Sprint network. Prohibited network use rules apply. See sprint.com/termsandconditions for prohibited uses.

Which generally makes me believe they apply the same tos to the ipad data plan even if it is month to month.

Edit: found this on a popup at their site:
Plan           Off-network roaming Price Special offer
100MB        25MB                         $10.00
300MB         100MB                 $14.99
1GB            100MB                 $15.00
3GB            100MB                 $34.99
6GB            300MB                 $49..99
12GB          300MB                 $79.99

So with the 1GB plan your roaming would be limited to 100MB.

And sprint can roam on verizons 1xrtt and evdo networks in most markets (both of which are 3g).

briman27
Hackettstown, NJ

briman27

So it will roam onto Verizon's 3G network -- that was my main question. I just didn't want to be stuck on 2G or 1X speeds if I were to be data roaming.

Regarding the usage, I've done quite a bit of research and found that as long as you don't continuously go over on the data roaming usage each month, Sprint generally won't do anything. I wouldn't even be using off Sprint's network that often -- only the few times of year that I travel to places without Sprint service.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by briman27:

So it will roam onto Verizon's 3G network -- that was my main question. I just didn't want to be stuck on 2G or 1X speeds if I were to be data roaming.

2G in CDMA networks is called IS95... 3G is called 1xrtt... so it can be slow and still be on 3G. The max speed on 1xrtt is 153kbps. Generally it will be more like 90kbps in real life if your on 1xrtt... but indeed evdo does roam.

briman27
Hackettstown, NJ

briman27

So what you're trying to say is that I could roam onto Verizon's 3G but it wouldn't be 3G speeds?

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

1xRTT is 3G.... CDMA went 3G years before the GSM providers. While we are used to associating the term 3G with faster internet (because of the GSM providers 3rd generation), what it really means is 3rd generation of a standard... and on cdma the 3rd generation covers both 1xrtt and evdo (evdo being the faster one).

It is possible in some markets you could get stuck on 1xRTT yes... but its not that common these days.

briman27
Hackettstown, NJ

briman27

Ok, that makes sense. So if I were to roam on Verizon and EVDO were available, I would get placed on that?

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by briman27:

Ok, that makes sense. So if I were to roam on Verizon and EVDO were available, I would get placed on that?

Usually yes. Worst case if you get stuck somewhere for a long time and you find your will use more than is allotted you can always pick up a pre-paid hotspot and use that

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
said by dib22:

said by briman27:

2G in CDMA networks is called IS95... 3G is called 1xrtt... so it can be slow and still be on 3G. The max speed on 1xrtt is 153kbps. Generally it will be more like 90kbps in real life if your on 1xrtt... but indeed evdo does roam.

No its not. 1X is 2g, maybe 2.5G. EVDO is 3G. LTE is 4G.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by ilikeme:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDMA2000

CDMA2000 (also known as IMT MultiCarrier (IMTMC)) is a family of 3G[1] mobile technology standards, which use CDMA channel access, to send voice, data, and signaling data between mobile phones and cell sites. The name CDMA2000 actually denotes a family of standards that represent the successive, evolutionary stages of the underlying technology. These are, in order of evolution:
CDMA2000 1xRTT
CDMA2000 1xEV-DO: Release 0, Revision A, Revision B
CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Revision C or Ultra Mobile Broadband (UMB)
CDMA2000 1xEVDV

Don't feel bad... the american wireless providers have turned it into a marketing term, so it's easy to see why people think this... but it simply means 3rd generation. The 2nd generation of CDMA was called IS95... »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IS-95

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
said by dib22:

It is possible in some markets you could get stuck on 1xRTT yes... but its not that common these days.

From what I have seen 1xRTT is the norm in most parts of the country...unless the tablets come with a different PRL?

Also, Sprint also roams on other carriers if available, BEFORE they will default to Verizon. Up here, US Cellular is first and then Verizon.
swintec

swintec to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
said by ilikeme:

Speeds do not dictate what generation the data is. I can have a broadband connection limited to dial up speeds and that wouldnt make it narrowband / dial up. 1xRTT is 3G.