Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nine9s2

join:2005-02-09
Richmond, TX

1 edit
reply to cooperaaaron

Re: Want to buy a router - Do all routers go out 50% of time?

Double post sorry

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nine9s2

I have an old Netgear WGR614v9 that was cheap at under $40.00. Been using it since 2007 and another one like it for a few years. Maybe getting long in the tooth as it is a b/g , but serves my needs at this time. A couple of summers in the past I took it with me in my travels and when staying with friends used it. Just needed an open port on their router and power.

Only replaced it once, when a roommate allowed it to be on its side on top of a CRT Monitor and heat got to it.

On sites like Amazon where someone has put a low rating on something, I consider the level of expertise that is needed to setup and then scan the low ratings. I am looking for misspelling and poor grammar. Once those have been parsed, there usually are few 'poor' ratings.

nine9s2

Richmond, TX
reply to cooperaaaron

said by cooperaaaron:

I have two WNR3500-L's, both rock solid and have been since I bought them, Of course I am running one with DD-WRT; the other is running stock firmware, and no issues at all..

I might get one - they are $60 at Fry's and Walmart.

Does it matter which version v01 or v02?

Also, will I be able to use different DNS servers on each device under the WNR3500 or does it force one DNS server set on all devices in the network?

For example, can I use Norton ConnectSafe DNS level A on one computer and level B on another and an anywhere cast DNS on my Roku and OpenDNS on another device or will WNR3500 force whatever DNS is set for it on all devices?

I am confused on this because now I have Comcast's provided TG862 and it forces Comcast DNS servers on all devices no matter what each device sets its own DNS server too (known bug in the TG862 but I am not sure if the bug is that one cannot change DNS servers in the TG862 or whether the bug is that it overrides device set DNS servers, so I am wondering how the WNR3500L handles DNS servers)?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to owlyn

said by owlyn:

I am very happy with my Netgear WNDR3400 (N300). No problems, handles IPV6 and AirPrint, great price.

I am just wondering

What is AirPrint?

Thanks
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

1 recommendation

Apparently AirPrint addresses iOS devices to print wirelessly on AirPrint enabled printers.

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

1 recommendation

Yes, air print is for printing from a ipad, iPhone. droid etc.
The Apple stuff finds the printer, usually a HP printer with out installing any apps and works great. The Droid stuff needs playing around with some to get it to find the printer.

vandergraff2

join:2005-10-17
Los Gatos, CA

1 edit

I have been running a couple of refurbished E2000's with Tomato and WDS to get coverage through my house and property. Everything has been running fine for about 6 months but started needing reboots every few days a couple of weeks ago.

I just bought an RT-N66U and couldn't be happier. One router gives me coverage throughout the house (including areas I needed the second WDS router for before) and over my 1 acre property.

I have 17 devices connected to it now and everything seems to be connecting with better speeds than before.

I am using the 5MHz band with an Asus USB-N53 (which claims a reliable 300 Mbps connection) for my main PC - everything else is either wired (multiple video streaming devices) or using the 2.4 GHz band.

While I don't really need the RT-66U speeds with my current 20 Mbps Comcast service the range and better speed connections at distance make it worth it. As others have said I may not even change the firmware to Tomato or other third party firmware as the stock Asus firmware seems good and I have seen reviews saying it is faster then the third party firmware.

If it remains stable this is a much better solution with one fast router and good coverage versus the sometimes flakey multiple routers using WDS

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

said by Johkal:

Apparently AirPrint addresses iOS devices to print wirelessly on AirPrint enabled printers.

Yes. I can print directly from my iPhone to my Canon printer. In my case, I need to have my PC turned on, as the printer is not a network-enabled printer. Still, the whole setup works very well.

Tobin

join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Wayne99021

said by Wayne99021:

Yes, air print is for printing from a ipad, iPhone. droid etc.
The Apple stuff finds the printer, usually a HP printer with out installing any apps and works great. The Droid stuff needs playing around with some to get it to find the printer.

What's silly is the lack of AirPrint support on the JetDirect printserver built into the AirPort Extreme Basestation. I have an AirPrint capable printer now, but my old LaserJet 1200 connected to the AEBS can't receive jobs directly from iDevices.

The printer I have that does support AirPrint also receives print jobs from any source that can attach a document to e-mail...many printers do that these days.

mahermusic

join:2001-07-06
U.S.A.
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to nine9s2

The last router that went on me was because of the plug. We use a special wireless Vonage router that they don't make anymore. Let's just say it fits into our network infrastructure the way we want it. after a storm hit, the router went out. Replacing it exactly was mucho expensive, however I had the non-wireless version of the same router.... uses the same plug. Exchanged the plugs and it booted right up!

Bought a few surplus plugs the next day on eBay for a few bucks!
--
Guns Will Be Gone. Period. Thank OUR President Obama for putting the lives of our children ahead of special interests.

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Tobin

Hi Tobin....I use to have a D-Link 655 which I had for about 6 years and it was okay. Every so often it would drop the signal or reboot itself. When I use to VPN into work or be on a conference call it was a PITA when it dropped out. Anyway, I couldn't be happier with my AEBS. I have 3 lap tops 2 iPads, 2 wired networked Tivo's and a Sony Blu-ray. The AEBS doesn't even flinch when their all working at once. The best part when I cut the grass during the summer on my tractor I can still grab a signal for my iPod and listen to music or a ballgame without any drop outs when I am on the other side of the property.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to nine9s2

One question I'd like to know is about DNS pass-thru (or what you want to call it.) In other words, does the router pass the true DNS addresses when a device does DHCP, or does it just point at itself? Are there any advantages/disadvantages of hiding DNS from the computers/devices and having the modem do all the work?

owlyn
Premium,MVM
Newtown, PA

I have my router handle DNS, but I use the default DNSSEC addresses provided by Comcast anyway. AFAIK, the Comcast modems don't care about DNS. I Could be wrong...

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

said by owlyn:

I have my router handle DNS, but I use the default DNSSEC addresses provided by Comcast anyway. AFAIK, the Comcast modems don't care about DNS. I Could be wrong...

That was my understanding as well, as long as you have a stand-alone cable modem, or an eMTA cable modem.

Now, if you have one of those combo devices, meaning a cable modem with a router (with or without WiFi), or an eMTA cable modem with a router (with or without WiFi), then that device most likely is setting your DNS Servers. Depending on the model, settings, and what control Comcast gives you, you may not be able to modify those settings.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I would never use a combo device. I feel it is better to separate the functions out. Have a device that is your cable modem (or eMTA cable modem), and a device that is your router (with or without WiFi). It allows better control and management by the end user.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
reply to nine9s2

I don't think it's a gamble. I've never bought a new router but I pick up a lot of used ones cheap at Goodwill, a thrift store, and they have always worked unless they had a bad power supply. Goodwill usually has a lot of power supplies though so you can get one of them while you are there. After using them I've found the newer N type Netgear models work the best, the little square black ones, especially if you can put DD-WRT on it.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to nine9s2

Personally I steer clear of Dlink. I bought an 825, had horrible range and speeds. Their DAP bridge would also knock my stero receiver off of my network. Scrapped them both and bought an Asus AC66u. A bit of overkill but this thing handles everything we throw at it without blinking. 4 laptops, 2 VPNs, 3 iPhones, Nook, Xbox, ps3, wii u, receiver, directv, never an issue at all.

dniksich

join:2012-05-23
Gary, IN
reply to Darknessfall

I also have a WD My Net 750 and haven't had a problem with it. And it also happens to be on sale at Best Buy for 49.99 this week...40 bucks off.

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
reply to nine9s2

I have a ASUS router as well,rock solid over a year with mine(before all linksys routers which often had to be rebooted)
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to plencnerb

said by plencnerb:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I would never use a combo device. I feel it is better to separate the functions out. Have a device that is your cable modem (or eMTA cable modem), and a device that is your router (with or without WiFi). It allows better control and management by the end user.

--Brian

Words to live by! Besides which, almost without exception, range on wireless gateways is spotty. This isn't just a Comcast issue. When I had AT&T dsl, their branded gateway (a 2-Wire) was terrible...having your modem and router separate is the same advice you see in dsl forums.

I also like this by ptrowski: "...bought an Asus AC66u. A bit of overkill but this thing handles everything we throw at it without blinking. 4 laptops, 2 VPNs, 3 iPhones, Nook, Xbox, ps3, wii u, receiver, directv, never an issue at all."

I am a basic user, with a simple set up; only my wife and I use our network. Even so, we have a desktop, 2 notebooks, 2 tablets, a Nook, 2 smart phones, a Roku box, a networked printer, NAS, and occasionally have a work laptop or other device on line. Don't underestimate what your needs are (and will be) when purchasing a router! I wouldn't dream of using a router with a weak chip set, limited ram, inadequate cooling and poor configuration flexibility. You can't fix cheap!

The price difference between a cheap versus higher end router is minimal...a quality router will only cost you $50 more (give or take a few bucks) but will be operable for far longer, with much better flexibility.
--
Deeds, not words

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

well, if you have u-verse, especially with tv, you have to lease one of their gateways (or purchase one of theirs for internet only), they give you wireless,router combo+ separate Cisco AP for wireless TV receiver.

It works well for me except for limited number of ethernet ports, but I have old wrt54g for spare extras. Their wireless is good but at default set too high (400mW). I lowered it to 100. I imagine if you live in apartment near close to other apartments with the same default set up (most users are not technically experienced), you get a lot of wi-fi interference.Whats worse their wi-fi radio supports only B/G. No N. You are welcome to turn it off and use wireless from your own router bridged to gateway, but the rental fee has increased from original $3 to $6 now and its the same old model they introduced years ago. I find firewall settings ok, but not as flexible as with Linksys, that allows you to not only open specific ports but also open them to only specific devices by IP address, MAC or connected ethernet port number.

Their set up boxes and main dvr made by cisco are good though. Seem to be more responsive than Comcast and lots of nice features.

Hagar

join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse

2 recommendations

reply to nine9s2

I ignore all review with 5 stars; if you cannot find anything wrong with a router you have not looked very hard.

I also ignore all the reviews with 1 star; they tend to be DOA or some faulty hardware. That is not representative of the product.

I like to read the 4 start review, the missing star might be important to you.

I also like the 2 star review, the product come alive, but they are very unhappy why?

I agree with YukonHawk the smallnetbuilder site is a great resource.

I personally would not buy a router that cannot run OPENWRT software. You might never use it, but if you need an option it is great and they support a ton of routers.
If you go used/goodwill browse the openwrt hardware table before you buy one.

What do I run? A Netgear 3800 with a Cerowrt (a research fork of openwrt).

owlyn
Premium,MVM
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to plencnerb

said by plencnerb:

said by owlyn:

That was my understanding as well, as long as you have a stand-alone cable modem, or an eMTA cable modem.

Now, if you have one of those combo devices, meaning a cable modem with a router (with or without WiFi), or an eMTA cable modem with a router (with or without WiFi), then that device most likely is setting your DNS Servers. Depending on the model, settings, and what control Comcast gives you, you may not be able to modify those settings.

--Brian

I couldn't agree more. I would never have an all-in-one again unless I was forced to. I have an Arris TM722 eMTA and a Netgear WNDR3400. I don't need a gigabit router, so this router works fine for me. The only annoying thing is the Arris blinks yellow instead of green for the Link connection. I would need a gigabit router for it to blink green. Can't justify the cost!

nine9s2

Richmond, TX

2 edits
reply to dniksich

said by dniksich:

I also have a WD My Net 750 and haven't had a problem with it. And it also happens to be on sale at Best Buy for 49.99 this week...40 bucks off.

how long have you had it? Since it is so new I am wondering if out long enough to see bugs etc by many.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to PeteC2

I forgot the printer and a PC upstairs.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to nine9s2

Love my n66u. Run merlins firmware.

dniksich

join:2012-05-23
Gary, IN
reply to nine9s2

I've had it since August and the only thing I did to it was update the firmware a couple times, never had to reboot it except for the firmware update but that's been it, never dropped a connection.

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN
reply to nine9s2

I've never had any of my routers go bad and i have had quite a few. I currently use a Netgear WNDR3700v2 plus a Netgear WNR2000 and a Linksys WRT54G both used as AP's. I got the Linksys at the goodwill store for $5.
--
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant. Nixon

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to PeteC2

> Words to live by!

I agree within the context of those who want to manage the added complexity of additional devices.

But this is not a one size fits all issue or discussion.

For example, I have talked with people who do not want multiple devices because the multiple devices do not fit in with the "decor" of their condo.

nine9s2

Richmond, TX
reply to dniksich

said by dniksich:

I've had it since August and the only thing I did to it was update the firmware a couple times, never had to reboot it except for the firmware update but that's been it, never dropped a connection.

Thanks

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to camper

said by camper:

> Words to live by!

I agree within the context of those who want to manage the added complexity of additional devices.

But this is not a one size fits all issue or discussion.

For example, I have talked with people who do not want multiple devices because the multiple devices do not fit in with the "decor" of their condo.

I hear 'ya camper! Of course it is more than a little tempting to go for an "all-in-one-box-solution", and that is why despite wireless gateway's terrible track record, new customers keep clamoring for them.

I for one do not have a rack of networking gear, and if I could find a gateway that actually performed decently, I'd be using one. My "decor" is decidedly not uber-geek (Used to be but I mellowed out over the years!), and I am in a nice, but not spacious upscale apartment. I have a modem, eMTA modem, and router...between the 3 of them, very little room is taken up and none of them are particularly obtrusive.

When you talk about "manage the added complexity", I think that most customers want a broadband solution that works and is not prone to problems. Things that work poorly generally appear to be more complex, yes? My modem plus EA4500 router are easier to add devices to than the Comcast gateway, rather than more "complex", and if I do run into a problem, it is far simpler to isolate a modem vs router issue when they are separate devices.

Don't take my word for it, go to the Comcast forums. The folks with wireless gateway issues are never-ending. Ask EG, he must have addressed those issues several thousand times now just by himself! Yes, there are a few satisfied users here and there, but why bet on long odds?

BTW, I have a great printer/scanner/copier/fax unit. Takes up little space and does all those functions quite well...I am by no means opposed to consolidation of functions...when it works! That is the problem with wireless gateways.
--
Deeds, not words