Search similar:

uniqs

Hagar
join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA

2 recommendations

Hagar to nine9s2

to nine9s2

Re: Want to buy a router - Do all routers go out 50% of time?

I ignore all review with 5 stars; if you cannot find anything wrong with a router you have not looked very hard.

I also ignore all the reviews with 1 star; they tend to be DOA or some faulty hardware. That is not representative of the product.

I like to read the 4 start review, the missing star might be important to you.

I also like the 2 star review, the product come alive, but they are very unhappy why?

I agree with YukonHawk the smallnetbuilder site is a great resource.

I personally would not buy a router that cannot run OPENWRT software. You might never use it, but if you need an option it is great and they support a ton of routers.
If you go used/goodwill browse the openwrt hardware table before you buy one.

What do I run? A Netgear 3800 with a Cerowrt (a research fork of openwrt).

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

1 recommendation

owlyn to plencnerb

MVM

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

said by owlyn:

I have my router handle DNS, but I use the default DNSSEC addresses provided by Comcast anyway. AFAIK, the Comcast modems don't care about DNS. I Could be wrong...

That was my understanding as well, as long as you have a stand-alone cable modem, or an eMTA cable modem.

Now, if you have one of those combo devices, meaning a cable modem with a router (with or without WiFi), or an eMTA cable modem with a router (with or without WiFi), then that device most likely is setting your DNS Servers. Depending on the model, settings, and what control Comcast gives you, you may not be able to modify those settings.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I would never use a combo device. I feel it is better to separate the functions out. Have a device that is your cable modem (or eMTA cable modem), and a device that is your router (with or without WiFi). It allows better control and management by the end user.

--Brian

I couldn't agree more. I would never have an all-in-one again unless I was forced to. I have an Arris TM722 eMTA and a Netgear WNDR3400. I don't need a gigabit router, so this router works fine for me. The only annoying thing is the Arris blinks yellow instead of green for the Link connection. I would need a gigabit router for it to blink green. Can't justify the cost!
nine9s2
join:2005-02-09
Richmond, TX

2 edits

nine9s2 to dniksich

to dniksich
said by dniksich:

I also have a WD My Net 750 and haven't had a problem with it. And it also happens to be on sale at Best Buy for 49.99 this week...40 bucks off.

how long have you had it? Since it is so new I am wondering if out long enough to see bugs etc by many.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
I forgot the printer and a PC upstairs.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to nine9s2

Premium Member

to nine9s2
Love my n66u. Run merlins firmware.
dniksich
join:2012-05-23
Gary, IN

dniksich to nine9s2

to nine9s2
I've had it since August and the only thing I did to it was update the firmware a couple times, never had to reboot it except for the firmware update but that's been it, never dropped a connection.

jkj860
The Final Frontier
join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN

jkj860 to nine9s2

to nine9s2
I've never had any of my routers go bad and i have had quite a few. I currently use a Netgear WNDR3700v2 plus a Netgear WNR2000 and a Linksys WRT54G both used as AP's. I got the Linksys at the goodwill store for $5.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
> Words to live by!

I agree within the context of those who want to manage the added complexity of additional devices.

But this is not a one size fits all issue or discussion.

For example, I have talked with people who do not want multiple devices because the multiple devices do not fit in with the "decor" of their condo.
nine9s2
join:2005-02-09
Richmond, TX

nine9s2 to dniksich

to dniksich
said by dniksich:

I've had it since August and the only thing I did to it was update the firmware a couple times, never had to reboot it except for the firmware update but that's been it, never dropped a connection.

Thanks

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

2 recommendations

PeteC2 to camper

MVM

to camper
said by camper:

> Words to live by!

I agree within the context of those who want to manage the added complexity of additional devices.

But this is not a one size fits all issue or discussion.

For example, I have talked with people who do not want multiple devices because the multiple devices do not fit in with the "decor" of their condo.

I hear 'ya camper! Of course it is more than a little tempting to go for an "all-in-one-box-solution", and that is why despite wireless gateway's terrible track record, new customers keep clamoring for them.

I for one do not have a rack of networking gear, and if I could find a gateway that actually performed decently, I'd be using one. My "decor" is decidedly not uber-geek (Used to be but I mellowed out over the years!), and I am in a nice, but not spacious upscale apartment. I have a modem, eMTA modem, and router...between the 3 of them, very little room is taken up and none of them are particularly obtrusive.

When you talk about "manage the added complexity", I think that most customers want a broadband solution that works and is not prone to problems. Things that work poorly generally appear to be more complex, yes? My modem plus EA4500 router are easier to add devices to than the Comcast gateway, rather than more "complex", and if I do run into a problem, it is far simpler to isolate a modem vs router issue when they are separate devices.

Don't take my word for it, go to the Comcast forums. The folks with wireless gateway issues are never-ending. Ask EG, he must have addressed those issues several thousand times now just by himself! Yes, there are a few satisfied users here and there, but why bet on long odds?

BTW, I have a great printer/scanner/copier/fax unit. Takes up little space and does all those functions quite well...I am by no means opposed to consolidation of functions...when it works! That is the problem with wireless gateways.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by PeteC2:

...When you talk about "manage the added complexity", I think that most customers want a broadband solution that works and is not prone to problems. Things that work poorly generally appear to be more complex, yes? ...

Yes and no.

A solution that just works is always a feature.

But there are some people who will take a single box solution over a multiple box solution regardless of the feature set. I know of two people who have made such a choice. One just wanted the single box due to aesthetic reasons, the other wanted a single box due to "I only want to buy one thing" reasons.
mahermusic
TRUMP LOST LOL
join:2001-07-06

1 recommendation

mahermusic to nine9s2

to nine9s2
I've been using an all-in-one wireless Vonage gateway for 8-9 years, I would say. Whenever they first came out. (I've been a Vonage user for 10 years). I get fast speeds through my DOSCIS 2 modem, going through this router... usually 22/4 (I've got a speedtest on here in another thread).

Everything has always worked like it should. 4 hardwired, a myriad of wireless, and two Vonage lines coming out of the one box. I wouldn't have it any other way because it works, and has always.

Now IF there started to be issues creeping up, then I might look for an alternative, but I wouldn't change a thing after nine years just because something MIGHT happen.

And, as always (say it with me...) YMMV.
kdouglas10
Premium Member
join:2002-10-04
Jacksonville, FL

1 recommendation

kdouglas10 to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
Re: Combo Devices. Just set up comcast internet for a friend. To me it is telling that they asked me 4 times didn't I want their combo modem/wifi router. Even though I was installing an almost 10 year old Netgear 824, I said no, no no. When you take a combo device, you are giving up even more control to the folks who can throttle, strangle, redirect whatever you want to do. Since my first router (1996) I have purchased nothing but Netgear. Yes it has definitely been painful at times. I have learned to wait for at least rev.2 as for many years it seemed that Netgear like to release alpha or beta firmware and then allow the users to figure out what revisions needed to be made.

Only two years ago, when I got hi-def TV and embarked on streaming video via Roku, AppleTV, and so-called "smart devices" with built-in apps such as Amazon, Netflix and HuluPlus, I needed to upgrade from DSL to cable internet and decided to go with something optimized for video performance. I chose the Netgear WNDR-3700 and have never looked back. Admittedly they were on rev.2 or 3 with the firmware, so I didn't have that pain, but other than the IP adresses moving from default 192.168.X.X, to 10.0.X.X (some message about IP conflict from the Comcast Motorola SurfBoard 5120 modem was thrown) and a weak signal in the master bath which is 110 feet and 6 walls from the router everything has been wonderful.

Getting tired of moving my iPods, iPads to a certain angle for downloads in master bath or bedroom, a few months later I added the Netgear Universal WiFi Range Extender WN3000RP. I was able to administer it wirelessly, and it was up and running within about 5 minutes by using the WPS buttons on this device and the WNDR3700.

What I particularly like about the Netgear products is the Administrative Interface. Open DNS (IP addresses 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) or any DNS can be set within this interface for an added level of security and frankly SPEED! Futhermore, the WNDR3700 is Dual-Band 2.4GH & 5.0GH with a guest network which can be fully isolated from your primary network, so your guests aren't downloading crap which can infect your system.

I could go on. Suffice it to say, my IT department used Netgear switches and routers back in the day (1995-2001), and though for many there may be too many choices and too much complexity, if you are willing to invest a little in a learning curve, you will be purchasing bullet-proof equipment that kicks butt.

JUST DON'T BUY BLEEDING EDGE NETGEAR EQUIPMENT. WAIT FOR THE FIRMWARE (AND MANY TIMES) HARDWARE REVISIONS!
d0ogie
join:2003-10-07
Bellevue, WA

d0ogie

If you want to get slightly more serious or have a bigger area to cover, Ubiquiti EdgeMAX router/gateway + Ubiquiti UniFi devices for wireless AP's. The UniFi units are pretty well proven, the edgeMAX is a little more bleeding edge, but it's simply a super fast, Debian-based router that works. SMB/SOHO class gear for cheap. I had their RouterStation Pro board prior to this and was very happy with it as well.

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium Member
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI

hdman to nine9s2

Premium Member

to nine9s2
Make me down for a vote on the Asus as well. I have removed many netgear, dlink and linksys because they constantly needed a reboot. NEver rebooted my Asus yet.

mrimp
join:2011-11-27
Homestead, FL

1 recommendation

mrimp to Johkal

to Johkal
said by Johkal:

I'll add: if you are going to add a switch, look for one that is "Green"; meaning it uses "Green Ethernet technology" to manage used & unused ports for energy consumption.

As examples, I have these:

»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· F8&psc=1

Man this was perfect! My 16 port switch is dead so picked up 2 of the newer DLink model that you have Thx!

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Nice! That's slick looking.

mrimp
join:2011-11-27
Homestead, FL

mrimp

said by Johkal:

Nice! That's slick looking.

Like the cable checking too!

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021 to nine9s2

Premium Member

to nine9s2
I have used Netgear for years and never as much as a burp out of any of them.
I bought a Netgear WNDR4500 28 days ago and it crapped out today, so one never knows.
I have seen some good reviews on the Asus routers, may look at one of them if the new WNDR4500 they send me has any problems.