uniqs

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

3 edits

1 recommendation

YukonHawk to nine9s2

to nine9s2

Re: Want to buy a router - Do all routers go out 50% of time?

A great resource for you would be »www.smallnetbuilder.com/. Reviews can be very subjective including mine. I have an Apple Extreme 5th generation and it has been rock solid for almost a year now. Not one dropped signal in all that time. It is a very simply router to set up and maintain. I get every ounce of speed I am paying for from Comcast. I am on the 50/10 plan. I also get excellent coverage around my house and my 2 acres. If you like to tinker and customize your settings I would recommend the Asus RT-N66U. From what I have read about this router it has been very stable since the last few software upgrades and the throughput and coverage is the best around. Both routers are dual band and priced about the same +/-. You can also scan these forums here for a lot of great information. The people in these forums are top notch and know what they are talking about. (I am technical but no where near the level of the other guys here.) Good luck in your decision.

Tobin
join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

Tobin

said by YukonHawk:

A great resource for you would be »www.smallnetbuilder.com/. Reviews can be very subjective including mine. I have an Apple Extreme 5th generation and it has been rock solid for almost a year now. Not one dropped signal in all that time. It is a very simply router to set up and maintain. I get every ounce of speed I am paying for from Comcast. I am on the 50/10 plan. I also get excellent coverage around my house and my 2 acres. If you like to tinker and customize your settings I would recommend the Asus RT-N66U. From what I have read about this router it has been very stable since the last few software upgrades and the throughput and coverage is the best around. Both routers are dual band and priced about the same +/-. You can also scan these forums here for a lot of great information. The people in these forums are top notch and know what they are talking about. (I am technical but no where near the level of the other guys here.) Good luck in your decision.

Right many people only find the time to pen product reviews when they are unsatisfied customers, but I will say that my Apple AirPort Extreme Basestations have been very solid. I've had to power cycle mine maybe twice ever. Before that I ran various Linksys devices...WRT610N, WRT350N, WRT54GS, etc. Seems like they all needed a power-cycle every couple of months, but maybe I'm just bitter.

I use two AEBS to cover my house. My main desktop PC is wired into the one functioning as an extender. The AEBS by the cable modem is about 40 feet away through two thick walls and I get nearly 14MB/s (112Mbps) throughput on 5GHz N with 40MHz channels. That's obviously plenty fast for my 50/10 connection, and just enough for 100/20 too.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

I've had both a Linksys BEFSX41 (needed the VPN feature for work at the time), and currently a WRT54GL using Linksys firmware (work VPN is now through client software.)

The WRT is rock-solid and I've never really needed to reboot it due to any problem traceable to it. It's generally only been rebooted for power changes or modem issues. Wireless is disabled as I don't use it. It's fine for the Performance tier.

At some point, if I ever get a wireless tablet or whatever, I'll get a new one. I work from home, and stability is necessary.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

1 edit

YukonHawk to Tobin

to Tobin
Hi Tobin....I use to have a D-Link 655 which I had for about 6 years and it was okay. Every so often it would drop the signal or reboot itself. When I use to VPN into work or be on a conference call it was a PITA when it dropped out. Anyway, I couldn't be happier with my AEBS. I have 3 lap tops 2 iPads, 2 wired networked Tivo's and a Sony Blu-ray. The AEBS doesn't even flinch when their all working at once. The best part when I cut the grass during the summer on my tractor I can still grab a signal for my iPod and listen to music or a ballgame without any drop outs when I am on the other side of the property.