Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Priceline Flights

I planning on flying to Detroit in May. The airlines fare it is $521 one way. I got a price of $521 round trip from Priceline.com. Is that for real there a catch? Have any one else used Priceline.com for flights.
--
Caddy

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

Sometimes the priceline flight might make a few stops and slow total travel time, but they are indeed legit.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Caddyroger

Sorry do not have first hand knowledge, but have a friend who uses »www.kayak.com/ that checks many sites at once. It also gives clues as to best days of week to fly and more. Just ran a test on it, for a place I would like to fly in next year or so. Prices and site layout different than 6 months ago.

She uses it as a tool and makes sure to read the fine print on all flights and connections. Sometimes she gets better deals buying directly from the Airline's site and prepared to fly at non peak days of week and time of day.

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX
kudos:3
reply to Caddyroger

Where are you coming from? One way trips are typically more expensive than simply dividing a round trip fare by two, sometimes rather significantly. This tends to be true on routes where there is no competition from a low cost carrier (Southwest/AirTran, jetBlue, Frontier) as these airlines usually don't penalize you for buying a one way ticket.
--
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west

This is for a round trip ticket from Seattle to Detroit.
--
Caddy

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west
reply to hortnut

Both priceline and kayak is giving the same price of $521 round trip. On delta web site it reading $521 one way or $1042 round trip.
--
Caddy

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2

said by Caddyroger:

Both priceline and kayak is giving the same price of $521 round trip. On delta web site it reading $521 one way or $1042 round trip.

I think you're reading it wrong. I just ran it on Delta.com and it's $521 round trip. That still seems high to me, but no reason to use priceline.

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX
kudos:3

said by bionicRod:

said by Caddyroger:

I think you're reading it wrong. I just ran it on Delta.com and it's $521 round trip. That still seems high to me, but no reason to use priceline.

Same here. I think he's getting tripped up by how it will display Seattle to Detroit $521 on the first page then Detroit to Seattle $521 again on the second page. That $521 is the total price, not each way.
--
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west

1 recommendation

reply to Caddyroger

Thanks every one it is $521 round trip by delta web site. I guess the $521 on each got me goofed up on the price.
--
Caddy

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Caddyroger

If your dates are flexible, use something like:

»matrix.itasoftware.com/

It will show you an entire month's worth of prices, with prices that vary for X days in a trip. For example: May 1 - June 1, 3-6 days.

The trip above has a round trip price for as low as $372, with the majority being either 3 or 6 nights.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west

I did try the +/-3 days but it came up with same $521.00 round trip.
--
Caddy

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Caddyroger

said by Caddyroger:

said by hortnut:

Sorry do not have first hand knowledge, but have a friend who uses »www.kayak.com/ that checks many sites at once.

Priceline owns Kayak. You won't get a different price using those sites. If you try Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, etc. you might get a different price.
--
What we're saying today is that you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. - E. Cleaver 1968

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Caddyroger

Southwest flies into Detroit. Always check with them because their flights don't show up on the travel discount sites.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Caddyroger

Another airline that doesn't show up on the search sites is Spirit. Normally they are the hands down cheapest into Detroit. I normally go there once a year.
--
What we're saying today is that you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. - E. Cleaver 1968

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
reply to Caddyroger

said by Caddyroger:

I did try the +/-3 days but it came up with same $521.00 round trip.

said by footballdude:

Southwest flies into Detroit. Always check with them because their flights don't show up on the travel discount sites.

Good advice from footballdude.

You didn't mention the dates, so I picked Wed, May 7, 2013 to Wed May 15, 2013 on Southwest Airlines.

$342 plus taxes and fees.

If you are not a frequent traveler, I recommend that you call your credit card company/companies prior to booking your flight, and prior to your departure, to inform them about your itinerary.

This will prevent the triggering of a credit card authorization denial (fraud) based upon behavioral analysis.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Caddyroger

Another secret is the day you leave and return on make a big difference. Most business passengers travel on Monday and Friday so those are expensive days to travel. Also Saturday is the big day for non-business people so avoid Monday, Friday, and Saturday travel if you want to save money.
--

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west
reply to Caddyroger

Thanks every one Delta was about $30.00 more but I fly From Seattle to Detroit non stop. Plus I got seats in the first row. I got 5ft of leg room.
Price line was no better it wasthe same price as Delta.
--
Caddy

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state

said by Caddyroger:

Thanks every one Delta was about $30.00 more but I fly From Seattle to Detroit non stop. Plus I got seats in the first row. I got 5ft of leg room.
Price line was no better it wasthe same price as Delta.

Nicely done! Last time I flew in the first row it was on a tiny regional jet and I didn't need a tray table because my knees were shoved up to my chin. I avoid it like the plague now just in case.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was