spc
Search similar:

uniqs
captainrk
join:2006-07-11
Chicago, IL

captainrk

Slow internet speeds at night but strong wifi signal

I am not sure how to solve this problem I have. At nights it seems that my internet speeds drop considerably but I still have a strong wifi signal. Speeds test at anywhere from less than 1M to 2M download/upload and pages take forever to load. Consistently get unable to load page and have to hit refresh several times. I have a Comcast Wireless Gateway and Netgear WNDR3700 connected to it. At first thought it was the two routers interfering with each other but I disconnected my Netgear router and still same issue, slow speeds strong signal. It's not Comcast throttling speeds or congestion because if I connect to my routers via Ethernet cable I get exceptional speeds 30-36Mbps download, 6M upload. During the day I have no issues 20-30M download, 6M upload. The issue is not specific to a computer as I tested on all 3 laptops and all have the same results. I've used inSSIDer to try to find a good channel. Both routers are on different channels that do not overlap. I use my Netgear for Wifi and I have a signal strength of -58. Any thoughts on how to get my speed back up? Not sure if a signal booster would help or extender.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

Post a screengrab of the InSSIDer.
captainrk
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

captainrk

Click for full size
Here is the screen.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to captainrk

Premium Member

to captainrk
I'd guess that interference is your problem, since you have some very (equally) strong APs nearby.

You might try:

- using some aluminum foil to shield the antenna of your router to try and determine what direction the other APs are located.

- adjusting the router so that the antenna is not seeing the other APs.

Do you live in an apartment or similar type building (in close proximity to your neighbors)?

Also, what distances are you trying to use your laptops relative to your AP...close, far??
captainrk
Chicago, IL

captainrk

Neither the Comcast Wireless gateway or Netgear have external antennas for me to shield.

I live in a condo building and there are other condo buildings next to me.

At most the distance I am using my AP is 30ft.