All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Ryan818
join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR

Ryan818 to calc1

to calc1

Re: [Speed Issues] Nightly slow speeds..

I am beginning to think that it is a west coast issue as this has been going on in our region for close to 2-3 months. I never had issues before that time frame. It could be how our traffic is being routed within the Charter network. Ping times also seem to increase significantly in the evening hours.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Have you checked out the dns addresses Charter is using lately in Medford? Here in Grants Pass they are using the following. Medford, Oregon Reno, Nevada and San Louis Obispo, Ca. Those last 2 are way to far from our area to be used? And we use to have a Grants Pass dns address being used. Not any more.
said by Ryan818:

I am beginning to think that it is a west coast issue as this has been going on in our region for close to 2-3 months. I never had issues before that time frame. It could be how our traffic is being routed within the Charter network. Ping times also seem to increase significantly in the evening hours.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

So, why are you using Charters DNS servers. We all know those aren't the best anyway and you have even posted here using GRC's tool to test for best DNS servers before?

I know you have had to have tried other servers. Did it not make any difference in the evening?
Ryan818
Medford, OR

1 edit

Ryan818

I am actually using a Google DNS and not Charter's. It appears to make zero difference in terms of speed in the evenings. I think it is either a huge backbone issue with their fiber lines on the west coast or something greater that they are unwilling to provide us. Just my 2 cents.

As usual my speeds are back to where they are during the day.
»speedtest.ookla.com/resu ··· 8913.png

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

said by Ryan818:

I am actually using a Google DNS and not Charter's. It appears to make zero difference in terms of speed in the evenings. I think it is either a huge backbone issue with their fiber lines on the west coast or something greater that they are unwilling to provide us. Just my 2 cents.

As usual my speeds are back to where they are during the day.
»speedtest.ookla.com/resu ··· 8913.png

Every time I've tested Google's servers with the GRC tool, »www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm they rank closer to the bottom of the list of decent servers. Even WAY worse than Charters. Google IS NOT the greatest at everything they touch, hence the name Google and NOT Midas!!
Ryan818
Medford, OR

1 edit

Ryan818

That is funny because when I run the tool Google Inc. is at the top in terms of performance. Speakeasy is at a distant second. I guess it depends on where you live in the country and how close you are to a major node. Performance wise Google DNS servers are way better than Charter's here on the west coast.

Speeds as of this morning are more than advertised. But once the evening rolls around they will drop like a rock.
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 5079.png
A_Team
join:2006-10-16
San Luis Obispo, CA

A_Team

said by Ryan818:

Speeds as of this morning are more than advertised. But once the evening rolls around they will drop like a rock.
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 5079.png

Same here, the speeds this morning are excellent, but just like clockwork, about 6:30pm (or so) tonight I will be back to the 1.5/3 crap that happens every evening.
Meninx
join:2013-02-25
San Luis Obispo, CA

Meninx

I am off of LOVR in SLO, CA (Near Prefumo Cyn Rd) and we have had the same exact issue since August 1, 2012. When 5:00PM or so hits, the downstream drops to 2mbps. I have screenshots of scores of speedtests done throughout the night and it's been consistent for months: 5pm-12am is garbage and most other times it's OK (you know, like when I'm at work not using the internet).

So, what I have done for the past three months is call tech support, have them send a technician out (had 4 our since November) and the tech says the same thing: "uh ya it's a problem and it might be fixed in a couple of months". I ask him to make note of his findings, then I call in to Charter billing and demand full months credit. So far this has worked three months in a row.

I would encourage everyone having this problem to do the same exact thing. Gather the "evidence", make them send techs out and then demand the service call and months fees be credited to your account. There is no reason to pay for this service until it is fixed.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

4 edits

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Click for full size
9:10 pm

Click for full size
And you think that is bad. I have it as low as 1-2mb on the download side between 7-8:30 pm.

11:15 pm much improved but still not quite there on download.

12:23 am Just about there!