how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to simsin0

Re: VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem for EVLT-K cards (ALU 7330)

said by simsin0:

so it seems to work well with bell fttn dsl connections?

I might be switching to 50/10

How much does it matter what kind of equipment I am connected to on bells side?

It works with 7330 SLAM, probably wont work with stingers.

simsin0

join:2008-01-06

How would I determine which one im on?

kovy

said by simsin0:

How would I determine which one im on?

Pretty much no way... would need to ask your ISP to see what equipement you're on.

mactalla

join:2008-02-19
kudos:1
reply to xsbell

said by xsbell:

I just picked up a Huawei HG610 (wired) modem/router

Does that thing have screw mount holes? I can't find a pic of the bottom.

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..

said by mactalla:

said by xsbell:

I just picked up a Huawei HG610 (wired) modem/router

Does that thing have screw mount holes? I can't find a pic of the bottom.

It does.

mactalla

Excellent! I think I'll pick one up and hope it works on Telus' network.

xsbell

Canada
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
reply to xsbell

said by mactalla:

Excellent! I think I'll pick one up and hope it works on Telus' network.

I believe Telus uses the SLAMs and line cards, but you might want ask TierX See Profile over in the Telus forum just to make sure.

mactalla

I'll poke him and see what he says. If that is the case, would that indicate that this modem will likely work, or likely not work?

xsbell

Canada
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..

said by mactalla:

I'll poke him and see what he says. If that is the case, would that indicate that this modem will likely work, or likely not work?

It would definitely work.

mactalla

Looks like TierX hasn't been on for nearly 3 months. I pulled the trigger and will report back after I get my hands on it.

lleader

join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON
reply to xsbell

I just picked up on this thread. I'm with Teksavvy and am now considering my modem options. I note you have had the Huawei HG610 for a month now and would appreciate an update on how it is working out for you. In particular if there are any problems or reliability issues such as maintaining the connection. Thanks.

xsbell

Canada
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..

said by lleader:

I just picked up on this thread. I'm with Teksavvy and am now considering my modem options. I note you have had the Huawei HG610 for a month now and would appreciate an update on how it is working out for you. In particular if there are any problems or reliability issues such as maintaining the connection. Thanks.

It's rock solid. No disconnects, no errors, not one hiccup.

Kovy has the same modem on a 75Mbps profile, so hopefully he can give us an update too.

kovy

reply to xsbell

No problem for me, has down better then anything bell can give you.

lleader

Mississauga, ON

Thanks, guys. I assume the one and only listing on eBay is the way to go?

»www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Huawei-HG610···7aed62e2

xsbell

Canada
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..

said by lleader:

Thanks, guys. I assume the one and only listing on eBay is the way to go?

»www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Huawei-HG610···7aed62e2

Yup.

He also has an all-in-one from ZTE, but I haven't looked into what chipset it has, and it's not like I'd ever get an all-in-one device, but it looks pretty decent.

lleader

Mississauga, ON

Thanks again. Ordered!

darrylr

join:2003-02-10
Nepean, ON
reply to xsbell

I would personally never buy any product made by Huawei but everyone has their own ideas.

mactalla

said by darrylr:

I would personally never buy any product made by Huawei but everyone has their own ideas.

Pretty slim pickings when it comes to VDSL modems I'm afraid. It'd be quite a feat for Huawei to be worse than most of the options currently available.

darrylr

join:2003-02-10
Nepean, ON

It's not the quality of this specific product. It's the company's past practices and ownership/govt ties.

xsbell

Canada
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
reply to darrylr

said by darrylr:

Is that through experience, or is it because you believe the conspiracy theories?

edit: never mind, you answered.

mactalla

reply to darrylr

I'm not very familiar with them as a company. But I understand those details affecting our decisions as a consumer. That's a big reason why many of us avoid the incumbants wherever possible.

Competition is good. Hopefully some of the other modem manufacturers will start selling VDSL products.

mactalla

reply to mactalla

Update #1: Just set it up and it's working fine on a Telus ADSL2+ line. When I get my speed bump to VDSL I'll confirm that, too.

mactalla

reply to xsbell

Update #2: Works great in Telusland! »[DSL] Huawei HG610 works in Telusland

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to xsbell

said by xsbell:

Some more results.

On a 75Mbps profile

how did you get a 75Mbit profile?

xsbell

Canada

said by jmck:

how did you get a 75Mbit profile?

That's what you get if you have 50/10 and FibeTV.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..

so they give a higher profile which you can use for internet traffic if you aren't currently receiving some TV channels? now i'm interested in getting the cheapest possible FibeTV package

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

said by jmck:

so they give a higher profile which you can use for internet traffic if you aren't currently receiving some TV channels? now i'm interested in getting the cheapest possible FibeTV package

They rate limit the Internet side to 50Mbit/s, or at least they're supposed to.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..

does the rate limiting happen on the modem or at the remote? it seems like the modem would handle it and maybe thats why they're forcing certain modems.

i'm guessing you're also stuck with the official Bell modems if you want Fibe TV? looking at the pricing i'm actually not interested at all in paying for another installation and a 2 year commit.

kovy

said by jmck:

does the rate limiting happen on the modem or at the remote? it seems like the modem would handle it and maybe thats why they're forcing certain modems.

i'm guessing you're also stuck with the official Bell modems if you want Fibe TV? looking at the pricing i'm actually not interested at all in paying for another installation and a 2 year commit.

It's force on the user name.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON

that seems weird. doesn't the fibeTV data go through the modem to or does it throttle certain types of protocol (QoS)? also is it possible to get fibeTV if you have VDSL2 from another company?