how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mactalla

join:2008-02-19
kudos:1
reply to darrylr

Re: VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem for EVLT-K cards (ALU 7330)

I'm not very familiar with them as a company. But I understand those details affecting our decisions as a consumer. That's a big reason why many of us avoid the incumbants wherever possible.

Competition is good. Hopefully some of the other modem manufacturers will start selling VDSL products.

mactalla

reply to mactalla

Update #1: Just set it up and it's working fine on a Telus ADSL2+ line. When I get my speed bump to VDSL I'll confirm that, too.

mactalla

reply to xsbell

Update #2: Works great in Telusland! »[DSL] Huawei HG610 works in Telusland

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to xsbell

said by xsbell:

Some more results.

On a 75Mbps profile

how did you get a 75Mbit profile?

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:8

said by jmck:

how did you get a 75Mbit profile?

That's what you get if you have 50/10 and FibeTV.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..

so they give a higher profile which you can use for internet traffic if you aren't currently receiving some TV channels? now i'm interested in getting the cheapest possible FibeTV package

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

said by jmck:

so they give a higher profile which you can use for internet traffic if you aren't currently receiving some TV channels? now i'm interested in getting the cheapest possible FibeTV package

They rate limit the Internet side to 50Mbit/s, or at least they're supposed to.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..

does the rate limiting happen on the modem or at the remote? it seems like the modem would handle it and maybe thats why they're forcing certain modems.

i'm guessing you're also stuck with the official Bell modems if you want Fibe TV? looking at the pricing i'm actually not interested at all in paying for another installation and a 2 year commit.

kovy

join:2009-03-26

said by jmck:

does the rate limiting happen on the modem or at the remote? it seems like the modem would handle it and maybe thats why they're forcing certain modems.

i'm guessing you're also stuck with the official Bell modems if you want Fibe TV? looking at the pricing i'm actually not interested at all in paying for another installation and a 2 year commit.

It's force on the user name.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON

that seems weird. doesn't the fibeTV data go through the modem to or does it throttle certain types of protocol (QoS)? also is it possible to get fibeTV if you have VDSL2 from another company?

kovy

join:2009-03-26

said by jmck:

that seems weird. doesn't the fibeTV data go through the modem to or does it throttle certain types of protocol (QoS)? also is it possible to get fibeTV if you have VDSL2 from another company?

FibeTV is either DHCP or with another user name PPPOE.

xsbell

Canada
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
reply to jmck

said by jmck:

I believe it's being done through RADIUS, that's why it's limiting only the PPP session. Some accounts might have it setup, some still might not, luck of the draw I guess.

cruisx

join:2009-10-25
reply to xsbell

Just got my modems. Something seems a little off, when I do a speed test the graph is pretty jagged and the needle is not smoothly going up with speed, its bouncing a little.

Nice modems though, just got to solve this issue.

polkaroo

join:2009-04-01
Ottawa
reply to xsbell

Just got my Huawei HG610 this afternoon and was able to get it up and running in bridge mode thanks to your second screen shot. Thanks so much!

I've also just filled out a complaint with CCTS about the forced rental of Sagemcom modems here. Please do the same!

»www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/complaint-form

--
TekSavvy DSL 50/10 on 7330 in Ottawa
Huawei HG610 bridge & WNDR3700v2 DD-WRT

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

The forced rental of the Sagemcom modem is actually almost pretty much gone when it comes to third-party ISPs. I don't complaining to the CCTS will do much when the CRTC is already looking into the matter right now: »CRTC 2013-80 Optional Upstream Speeds, DSL Modem Cert

TekSavvy just rolled out buy-only and rent-to-own options on the Sagemcom modems. Next up is a cheaper buy-out option ($85 vs $130) on current renters.

BYOM is up in the air though for now but at least (ie. sending a rental back without needing to buy-out).

polkaroo

Ottawa

Great but not good enough. BYOM being up in the air is the problem and there is no solution in sight. It needs some angry people to file complaints.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TypeS

said by TypeS:

The forced rental of the Sagemcom modem is actually almost pretty much gone when it comes to third-party ISPs. I don't complaining to the CCTS will do much when the CRTC is already looking into the matter right now: »CRTC 2013-80 Optional Upstream Speeds, DSL Modem Cert

TekSavvy just rolled out buy-only and rent-to-own options on the Sagemcom modems. Next up is a cheaper buy-out option ($85 vs $130) on current renters.

BYOM is up in the air though for now but at least (ie. sending a rental back without needing to buy-out).

That would be fine and dandy, if the Sagemcom worked properly, which it doesn't in many different ways especially in the way power users need it to work.
--

poona888

join:2002-08-08
Nepean, ON

1 edit
reply to polkaroo

Polkaroo,

I just bought one of the HG610. Can you share how to setup bridge mode for the HG610 and have some screen capture? Do you change the HG610 ip address to different one to avoid the ip with router?

Thanks in advance.

polkaroo

Ottawa

Actually, if you look at the original poster's screen shots, you have everything you need. His second screen shot shows the only page you need to touch. The only trick is that by default you will have two lines of configuration and need to use the tabs on the top right to remove one.

polkaroo

Ottawa

I should note that I'm with TekSavvy in Bell land where the VLAN 35 is required. I believe you can skip that bit if in Telus land.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

I just got my Huawei yesterday. It was easy to set up seems to work well. Anyone know where to change the ip address? Also is there a way to get the line attenuation to show up in the stats?

Mike

Connection Status
Help
Mode VDSL2
Traffic type PTM
DSL synchronization status Up
DSL up time 38380

Line Status
Help
Downstream Upstream
Attainable rate (kbit/s) 74820 22588
SNR margin (dB) 22.1 22.1
Line attenuation (dB) 0 0
Output power (dBmV) 13.7 3

Statistics
Help

Path 0
Path 1
Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Line rate (kbit/s) 26941 11328 0 0
CRC errors 0 0 0 0
FEC errors 14 0 0 0
HEC errors 2 0 0 0

xsbell

Canada
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
reply to xsbell

said by Mike2009:

Anyone know where to change the ip address? Also is there a way to get the line attenuation to show up in the stats?

Should be under the LAN settings somewhere. Don't remember exactly, sorry.

As for the attenuation bug, check here.

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON

Thanks.

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

For anyone interested in line monitoring software, this one's pretty good. It's similar to the old Router Stats and Router Stats Lite but it works with the HG610 and seems to have the tweaking function for the noise margin like DMT. Bicephale would have loved it.

»www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/