how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rdmiller

join:2005-09-23
Richmond, VA

Three-headed duopoly

There's no word for a three-headed duopoly. tri-opoly? Doesn't feel right.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
first people complain about the Verizon/At&t duopoly but if Sprint becomes just as big that is suddenly an issue? I though people wanted competition? Having dozens of small regional companies is not competition. I would never go with a regional carrier even if cheaper since they would be useless outside my area. Sure there's roaming. Would I be to roam over 4G? Nope. So pointless.

Competition means having more NATIONAL carriers. Just having 3 truly national carriers would make a difference. My area you have Verizon or At&t and they're happy to split the pot 50/50. If Sprint was here I doubt they would like the pot being 33/33/33. That's a 33% drop in revenue. So in order to stop defections to Sprint they have to compete on pricing and/or services.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
You do know that a lot of those regional and MVNOs are actually partners of the larger companies right???

Moropo
Premium
join:2002-07-28
His point still stands.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

You do know that a lot of those regional and MVNOs are actually partners of the larger companies right???

Yeah and? Can I use 4G with them? Nope. Do I have good choices of phones? Nope. Most of their smartphones are underpowered and are still on Gingerbread of Christ's sake. You see I can take my Verizon 4G phone pretty much anywhere and actually use it without it roaming. Can you do that with a MVNO?

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
Actually you can. TING allows roaming and has signed and LTE agreement with Sprint. You have a choice of phones and can take Sprint phones to them. TMO is the same way with phones.

And actually, you do realize that VZW and Sprint and Alltel still roam on each other right????? Just because your phone with VZW doesn't say roaming, in many markets you can be. They also used the words "extended coverage"

So one would advise you to actually read on many of the new MVNOs and see what they're doing before jumping the gun and claiming its not able to be done when crying about you don't have services in your area.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to Moropo
actually it does't. He's not correct about the MVNOs and what they bring to the market. When Ting opened up shop they brought in a whole new game. StraightTalk- they brought in one. T-mobile bring your own device opened up a whole new market. Sprint,AT&T and VZW have done nothing to the market expect bring in iPhone which has pretty much destroyed Sprint in terms of cash.

Premium
West Tenness
said by TBBroadband:

actually it does't. He's not correct about the MVNOs and what they bring to the market. When Ting opened up shop they brought in a whole new game. StraightTalk- they brought in one. T-mobile bring your own device opened up a whole new market. Sprint,AT&T and VZW have done nothing to the market expect bring in iPhone which has pretty much destroyed Sprint in terms of cash.

Actually my point is still valid because NONE of those other companies come within 50 miles of me. And that goes for MILLIONS of Americans. Another NATIONAL carrier. As I said TRUELY national carrier would do more for competition than and bunch of tiny barely anywhere companies. Sprint and T-mobile say they cover 200 million Americans. Great at&t and Verizon are loving the fact they basically have 115 million all to themselves.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

Actually you can. TING allows roaming and has signed and LTE agreement with Sprint. You have a choice of phones and can take Sprint phones to them. TMO is the same way with phones.

Awesome it uses Sprint's network? The same Sprint network that doesn't come within 50 miles of me? And even if I did get Sprint''s network you're still not getting 4G.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to 88615298
Actually it isn't valid. As I've said. The services those MVNOs provide do roam, and do support LTE roaming from other companies. Just because you use your home/location as something special doesn't mean that it is. Spring and AT&T consider your area NOT worth doing business in. Private companies have that choice in how they operate. And they are a true national carrier. They operate in more than one state and cover more than one state/area with service, thus making them a national provider. Comcast is also a national provider of services and Cox. Why? They do business in more than one state.

And cover means where they have native coverage. Look at VZW's map, why don't you enlarge that in many areas and find out how much of it roams onto other networks. The same as with AT&T. And you do know how VZW got to the size they are now right? They NEVER built out that network they have. THEY BOUGHT IT. Sprint BUILT their PCS network completely out and from the ground up. Can't say that about VZW and AT&T who also bought most of their network.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to 88615298
Actually by using WiMax and LTE yes it is 4G. And my point proves that you said nobody else has it. When in fact they do. And if you don't like your choices for service, you shouldn't have decided to live where you are and should consider moving.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to rdmiller
treopoly?