spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fredbergy

join:2013-02-19
Quebec, QC

Voip ata with or without integrated router? Wich one??

Hi folks,

As i don't want to hijack my own previous thread i'm starting a new topic here!

To do a short story i had a linksys rtp-300 that have integrated router feature for 3 years that worked very well for me without any problem but it died... :-(

My setup was plugged that way : modem-->ata-->router

My voip company sold me another ata a linksys pap2t and this is where my problem start!!

As the pap2t is not an router my new setup is : modem-->router-->ata

So my ata is behind my dlink dir-615

From the time that i plugged it i have one way audio problem. The ata connect well to the server, i've got a tone no problem, i can make phone call no problem, but in every call i can make long call anymore as the interlocutor stop hear me between 5-15min call, but i can still hear him no problem...

So this is very annoying for me as i have to call back someone 3-4 time (or more!!!) for a regular call that are longer!

I started my other thread asking for a solution, i tryed pretty much everything without success.... But now i spent way too much time on this case and now i'm 99% sure that my problem is my router so i just want a solution that will work easily!

I have good network knowledge but i don't have deep network knowledge!!!

So i surf on the web checking other ata and found the grandstream HT503 that will fit my need. It have a Wan and Lan port also...

So this way i would be able to plug it the way it was before my pap2t story!! (plugged behing the modem but before the router!)

Is grandstream is a great product?

Do you have any other ata that will have integrated router?

Thanks a lot for your help that is appreciated!!

Dan_voip

join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC
kudos:4
Grandstream ATA devices are good, I never used one but from what I was reading I didn't find bad comments.
Before going on that route why don't you try what was suggested to replace the firmware of your dlink with DD-WRT. The process is straight forward you don't need special knowledge for that and you have nothing to loose.
After you install DD-WRT you don't need any special settings unless you want to play at a later date with QoS.

fredbergy

Quebec, QC
reply to fredbergy
Yeah i read a bit on the dd-wrt firmware, but it's much for me!!!

I know that it's not a hard task but why i should have to put a new firmware in my dlink router?? And if someday my dlink router die i will have probably other problem with another somekind of problem!!

This is for that that i want a pernament solution like that!!

So no problem if i change my router, and no problem if i want to take with me my ata elsewhere!

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Dan_voip
ATA's that can go ahead of the main router usually have less firewall issues. That's the one positive.

There's lots of totally usable ATA's. Grandstream works fine.... I usually just suggest picking something off your Voip vendor's choice list.

fredbergy

Quebec, QC
reply to fredbergy
Ok it can have compatibility issue???

I've check a bit and found tha linksys pap2t and grandstream ht503 have the same specs...

Anyway i will check with them but i can't see why it shouldn't work??

chimchim

join:2005-07-10
Fairfax, VA
reply to fredbergy
I've had a few D-link routers over the years. You haven't mentioned whether you have tried this or not but have you unchecked the "SIP" box in the Application Level Gateway(ALG) configuration? It's in the firewall settings under the "advanced" tab. Its been known to cause problems with ata's behind a router. Just a thought.

VexorgTR

Sheffield Lake, OH
Reviews:
·voip.ms
The Pap2 is going to be discounted due to age.... the Grandstream stuff is a bargain because it runs open source software.

I just put in a heap of Grandstream stuff, and overall I'm a big fan of what it delivers for the price.

(Off topic) The GXP-2100 Desk phone is great for the price... sound, user friendly.....

(Back on topic). Which of the Grandstream units were you looking at for an ATA? I have installed lots of HT-286 (disc) and HT-486 (disc)... the 486 had a great pass through or route system.

Dan_voip

join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC
kudos:4
reply to fredbergy
said by fredbergy:

Ok it can have compatibility issue???

You should not have any compatibility issue. The only thing to check if they are allowing BYOD. Which VOSP are you using?

VexorgTR

Sheffield Lake, OH
Reviews:
·voip.ms
said by Dan_voip:

The only thing to check if they are allowing BYOD. Which VOSP are you using?

To add to this...... CallCentric as an example has about 10 ATA's listed with settings...... Support has tested and proved those ATA's to work well on their service. Therefore, those ATA's are good choices.

fredbergy

Quebec, QC
reply to fredbergy
Dan --> my vsop is Vif internet based in montreal they are great and cheap (12.95$/month for illimited call in Canada and US)

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to fredbergy
IMHO, those are two completely different functionality. I prefer to keep them separated in different devices, which do what they are designed to do the best. Otherwise it's like combining knife with a fork. Neither become good at its job.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
+1

fredbergy

Quebec, QC
reply to fredbergy
Ozo--> i totally understand they have different functionnality but in my case i had a linksys ata with built in router and never had a problem with it in 3 years!!!

Now with this ata that i have to put after my router i just want to stop loosing my time on this case!! I just want it to work!

So putting my ata right after my modem will close the case!!!

Just want to have your advice!!

I checked on ebay and HT502 are going for about 35$! I will probably give a try!

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to OZO
So, you couldn't have said "spoon with fork", huh? At least sporks actually exist, and many are familiar with their "wonderful" functionality.
(I like my OBi, but then I'm also sort of locked in to my router by Verizon.)
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."