uniqs

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

1 edit

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Free Coffee at McDonalds starting MONDAY (25th)

McDonalds is offering up a free small coffee from February 25 through to March 3.

Think of it as a consolation prize for all you lot that lost out at Timmies this week.

EDIT - Thanks Donoreo

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

Re: Free Coffee at McDonalds starting tomorrow (25th)

Um....today is the 23rd. So is it tomorrow or the 25th?

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Sorry Dororeo - It starts on Monday, the 25th of February.
Expand your moderator at work

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam to Thane_Bitter

to Thane_Bitter

Re: Free Coffee at McDonalds starting tomorrow (25th)

Yeap nice to get a week of good tasting discounted coffee, most but not all will upgrade at the next tier cost. A medium is a quarter and a large is like 50 cents.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

A large coffee for 50c, sign me up...

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

Definitely better than Tim Hortons, which had degraded pretty badly over the last few years.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter

Re: Free Coffee at McDonalds starting MONDAY (25th)

McDonalds is out to crush Tim's

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by koira:

That will be tough, but it is the game plan.

There are just too many Tims, and unless Mickey D's wants to try a kiosk type environment, they don't stand a chance.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

I dunno, more and more people are recognizing that McDonalds has decent coffee with all these free coffee campaigns. When I rush out the door some mornings, without time to make coffee, I find that some of the Tim Horton's I pass have a huge lineup that doesn't seem to move while the McDonalds lineup is empty.
minoe
join:2003-11-11
St George Brant, ON

minoe

It's been my experience that the long line at Hortons will take you about the same time to go through as the short or empty line at McDonalds.

My biggest complaint about McD's is that they (at least locally) don't seem to understand the morning coffee crowd and are really slow and inefficient with providing service.
Back in the day, when I drank Hortons coffee, I found that the long lines moved very quickly, while at McD's I've waited 5 minutes to get a coffee in a very short line.
It took almost 2 minutes for a coffee and muffin one day when I was the only one in line.

They really need to streamline the process to get people through quicker.... something that Horton's has mastered over the years.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
Roll up the Rim competition.
Long article in Globe at Tim Hortons.
They are less profitable for the franchisees and also being forced to rennovate more often than the once per 10 years in the standard contract. They are feeling the pressure.
Anav

Anav to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
Roll up the Rim competition.
Long article in Globe on Tim Hortons.
They are less profitable for the franchisees and also being forced to rennovate more often than the once per 10 years in the standard contract. They are feeling the pressure.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

It would be nice if Tim Hortons paid closer attention to the quality of their products. They used to be good. But today, we have:

- Mass produced frozen doughnuts reheated on the premises.
- Replacement of real bread with that crappy, low grade "soft" bread,
- Dramatically lower quality coffee overloaded with sugar so that hopefully you won't notice.

I still go there from time to time when there aren't any better options around. But when there are, I skip Timmies immediately.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member

koira

Premium Member

I agree with you the quality has gone south. Nothing better than a good coffee with cream and sugar and a fresh deep fried donut. Topped with chocolate or glaze.

Too bad Tim Horton lost the recipe for these simple delights.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

I still go there from time to time when there aren't any better options around. But when there are, I skip Timmies immediately.

I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but when I do I take it black. I don't find that Tim Horton's coffee tastes of coffee much. Country Style and McDs are better (the first is closer to work so it wins out).

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by koira:

That will be tough, but it is the game plan.

There are just too many Tims, and unless Mickey D's wants to try a kiosk type environment, they don't stand a chance.

Maybe that's Ron's Diner plan? Have little McCafe set up shop everywhere?

Whatever the case, Hortons is going to need to offer more coffee choices rather then their current offering of semi-tasty coffee.

It wasn't long ago that McDonalds have hideous coffee.
J E F F4

J E F F4 to koira

Premium Member

to koira
said by koira:

I agree with you the quality has gone south. Nothing better than a good coffee with cream and sugar and a fresh deep fried donut. Topped with chocolate or glaze.

You can tell it's different. In the old days, you could still get the less popular donuts...like the Cherry Stick and Toasted Coconut, for some reason, I just don't see those anymore. (might be a good thing, the Cherry Stick was something like 400 calories with 20 grams of fat.)

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur

Premium Member

Go for the chocolate or maple dip, only 8g of fat!

»www.timhortons.com/nutri ··· item16=1

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member

koira

Premium Member

My baseline for donuts goes back to suburban Toronto in the late 60's and early 70's.
In Etobicoke along Dundas I had Freddies donuts near Kipling and near Islington Country Style . Both made yeast dough donuts from scratch in house but Freddies was best because it was a mom and pop style place. They really took pride in the craft. In the same plaza we had West end typewriter shop which had a 1/32 and 1/24 scale slot car track in the basement floor. Spent a lot of time racing there, CanAm and Lemans cars and that. it was before video games LOL.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

I dunno, more and more people are recognizing that McDonalds has decent coffee with all these free coffee campaigns. When I rush out the door some mornings, without time to make coffee, I find that some of the Tim Horton's I pass have a huge lineup that doesn't seem to move while the McDonalds lineup is empty.

The Tim Hortons at Welland Avenue and Niagara was notorious for that.

In Fort Erie, it's the opposite. Tim Hortons has a decent amount of traffic, but McDonalds is packed and almost backed on to the Garrison. People in this town really love their Micky Ds coffee.

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

said by Gone:

The Tim Hortons at Welland Avenue and Niagara was notorious for that.

When I get up to drive to the QEW that's the closest choice on my route, they are dreadfully slow at time. The McDonalds across the street just renovated and I've never waited for more then 3-4 minutes from order to window. Even free coffee day today was busy but quick, there was like 7 carafes of coffee made for drive thru.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

You're talking about the one at Welland and Neilson. I know exactly what you mean.

That McDonalds used to have a parking lot filled with rust-coloured dirt from whatever that place was behind them. It was horrible. Hopefully they've done something to rectify that.

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

Yeah the recyclers next door, and nope every time its snowed or rain it begins to look like Mars after a lil bit.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Thane_Bitter

MVM

to Thane_Bitter
Got a bagel BLT and medium double double for breakfast; McDo charged me $0.20 for the coffee.

All their balloons they had put up for the promotion had a big paragraph of text on the back warning that balloons are not for children due to the danger of popping, and that children should not be allowed near them except under adult supervision.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00

Premium Member

Cheaper to print the text on the balloon than to be accosted in court by a carnivorous lawyer hired by some greed-crazed parent. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer sued a coffee shop because he spilled their coffee on himself and it was hot! The lawyer character was modeled on the late Johnny Cochrane.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Wolfie00:

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer sued a coffee shop because he spilled their coffee on himself and it was hot! The lawyer character was modeled on the late Johnny Cochrane.

Jackie Chiles! The actor, Phil Morris, was also on a little show called Star Trek. He was one of the children in the episode Miri.

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam to J E F F4

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

said by koira:

You can tell it's different. In the old days, you could still get the less popular donuts...like the Cherry Stick and Toasted Coconut, for some reason, I just don't see those anymore. (might be a good thing, the Cherry Stick was something like 400 calories with 20 grams of fat.)

The old Apple Fritters with actual apple chunks and the hardish crust from the frying. Or just the fact that the bakers would take custom requests, one of my favourite was a sour cream toasted coconut; the other was a dipped crueller.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

(might be a good thing, the Cherry Stick was something like 400 calories with 20 grams of fat.)

Your point?

Donut Diner around here still sells the Cherry Stick. If I'm near one I'll stop in and grab one, no matter how bad they are. They've been my favourite kind of donut since I was a kid.

They used to sell an Orange Stick, too. Used to loathe them because of all the rind in the glaze.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

Jackie Chiles! The actor, Phil Morris, was also on a little show called Star Trek. He was one of the children in the episode Miri.

Also known as the son of Greg Morris, who played Barney on TV's Mission Impossible.