uniqs

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to Willg1

Premium Member

to Willg1

Re: Best way to minimise downtime moving back to Bell.

Tx for the info Will.
UK_Dave
join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON

UK_Dave

Will, thanks for the info!

Haven't been online for a few days, so just saw your forum message and PM to me. They were very much appreciated.

Well, I guess I just have to sit it out some more.

I've been using the wife's parents place for essential stuff.

They have satellite internet and the connection is 1000x more usuable (!).
UK_Dave

UK_Dave

Well, here's hoping today is the start of the beginning of the end of my woe.

I've laid out trails of donuts and chocolate milk leading to the CO to entice in the worker elves.

As a backup plan in case it never happens - what would be involved in ordering up a new circuit and taking the 50/50 gamble I land on the good half of town?
UK_Dave

UK_Dave

Hey Will,

If you're still there - do you and Vianet happen to know if this Bell work is supposed to have been done yet?

TSI - any chance you can find out this info that Will referred to?

Also, TSI - could you respond to the backup plan question above - what would be involved in ordering a new circuit if this doesn't fix things.

Cheers
Dave

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to UK_Dave

Premium Member

to UK_Dave
said by UK_Dave:

Well, here's hoping today is the start of the beginning of the end of my woe.

I've laid out trails of donuts and chocolate milk leading to the CO to entice in the worker elves....

Interesting thread.

So tell me - Did they eat your treats and leave the tech things as they were ?

If they did THAT, then Bell may be having a labour force problem.

Try offering them Timmies' Coffees, double-double, instead.

On a serious note - Nobody has mentioned/asked, but is CABLE 'Net available where you are ?
UK_Dave
Powassan, ON

UK_Dave

Hey DNH...

I'm hoping they have delayed, or are still underway. Because there's not a jot of improvement here at my end yet.

:-(
UK_Dave

UK_Dave

And nope, no cable here.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

And all forms of wireless are anywhere from expensive to stupidly so.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to UK_Dave

Premium Member

to UK_Dave
said by UK_Dave:

....I've been using the wife's parents place for essential stuff.

Are they on Xplornet's new sat ?

How's THEIR ping number ?
UK_Dave
Powassan, ON

UK_Dave

I've never checked - not sure I see the point of doing so. They don't live in Powassan, and they're on satellite. Just curious? Next time I'm there I'll do some pings to somewhere.

I was supposed to be getting weekly updates on where this problem is up to.

TSI, can you confirm that the work by Bell is Done/Not Done. And if DONE, can you let me know the next steps you plan to take - as it didn't make a difference to the usability of my connection.

Thanks,
Dave

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Let me check.
TSI Andre

TSI Andre to UK_Dave

Premium Member

to UK_Dave
Hi Dave,

We are currently waiting for an update from our contact at Bell which deals with Pattern Matches.

We are gearing for an update in the next couple of hours. I will post an update once we have one.

As for the weekly updates, we certainly have been checking however there hasn't been any/much productive movement which is why we didn't report back.

Thanks,

Andre
TSI Andre

TSI Andre to UK_Dave

Premium Member

to UK_Dave
Apparently, they escalated it one step higher themselves.

Still working on it.
TSI Andre

TSI Andre to UK_Dave

Premium Member

to UK_Dave
Hi Dave,

Just an FYI that I just asked for an update again and they are telling us they are waiting on another group for an update.

This is the first time we have seen this happen so I am hoping it means there is movement, but at this time, I just don't know.

I asked my guys here if there will be an update today, they told me that likely not but they are keeping on it.

I will let you know when we get updates.

Cheers,

Andre

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to UK_Dave

Premium Member

to UK_Dave
said by Davesnothere:

said by UK_Dave:

....I've been using the wife's parents place for essential stuff.

Are they on Xplornet's new sat ? - How's THEIR ping number ?

said by UK_Dave:

I've never checked - not sure I see the point of doing so.

They don't live in Powassan, and they're on satellite.

Just curious? Next time I'm there I'll do some pings to somewhere....

Partially curious (always am), as Xplornet has been known to be both expensive AND to have inconsistent to crappy performance in the past, and also to determine whether your own reason for not currently considering them (assuming that it IS Xplornet and that they ARE serving your in-laws satisfactorily) would then only be the cost, as Xplornet satellite service is now available almost everywhere from their new sat, and as you WERE planning to get back in bed with Bell.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to UK_Dave

Premium Member

to UK_Dave
We got an update!!!!

The update is not date specific, however Bell is targeting to fix the issue in your area within the next 2 weeks... They said based on ordering, it could take up to 1 month from now but they feel confident about getting it fixed within two weeks

Sounds promising so far

Cheers,

Andre
UK_Dave
Powassan, ON

UK_Dave

Thank you, Jeebus!

Now I see what the real reason was for white smoke over the Vatican - an earthly decision by Bhell!

(Thanks Andre)

Cheers,
Dave
UK_Dave

1 edit

UK_Dave

Well.

I have an email from TSI support saying there has been an update from Bell on my support ticket with you.

How do I see my support ticket to find out what this update is?

Is it good news or bad?

*EDIT : Have tried TSI portal but can't seem to see the ticket to check what the update is.

Cheers
Dave
UK_Dave

UK_Dave

Holy smoke!

It's 8.30pm on a Friday night and I'm averaging 40ms pings!

Whatever happened, seems to have done the trick!

Was it the Powassan-wide upgrade? A response to the support email said something about swapping me from DS3 to OC3 - not sure what that means.

Either way - so far so good!

Cheers
Dave

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

awesome! welcome back dude!

QuantumPimp
join:2012-02-19

QuantumPimp to UK_Dave

to UK_Dave
Must be referring to trunk back to CO. Digital Signal 3 (DS3) is 44.736 Mbit/s copper and OC-3 is 155.52 Mbps fiber.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to UK_Dave

Premium Member

to UK_Dave
Sweet!
UK_Dave
Powassan, ON

2 edits

UK_Dave

Woah - this is just A Whole New World....

It's the t'internet - on a Friday night.... unheard of!

I get to sleep at home in my normal bed on work nights!

TSI Andre, TSI David, thanks for following up. Will - thanks for getting me possible dates to help me hold on a little bit longer with hope!

Marc - it's good to be back!

Now, where are these Voltage MF's we were chewing on.....?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Haha.. Yeah.. Time warp... New rates man, new rates!
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to QuantumPimp

to QuantumPimp
said by QuantumPimp:

Must be referring to trunk back to CO. Digital Signal 3 (DS3) is 44.736 Mbit/s copper and OC-3 is 155.52 Mbps fiber.

More likely, the actual uplink card out of the DSLAM. Each DSLAM is made up of a complex of shelves. The main control shelf has an uplink card to tie the complex back to the aggregation switch. When Bell encounters congestion, they would swap the uplink card from DS3 to OC3. If they've already got an OC3 uplink, they split the complex into two, and give each group of shelves their own uplink.

Regardless, they're still dealing with Legacy ATM technology at that point, and the components aren't manufactured anymore. They're likely re-purposing old cards that have been taken out of service in areas they upgraded to 7330. It's a bit of a Band Aid approach. You're still dealing with at most a 155 Mbps connection - and with ATM encapsulation, the maximum throughput is roughly 130 Mbps of actual data.

We had a bunch of legacy ATM DSLAMS in our network (installed in 2001/2002), but were fortunate enough to buy a bunch of GigE uplink cards from the manufacturer before they discontinued the product line. We've got almost all our Legacy ATM gone from our network, replaced with GigE.