how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ltm320

join:2002-02-24
Milwaukee, WI
reply to tonyram57

Re: Does the leased SB6141 only get firmware updated?

There is a Aug 2012 firmware for the SB6141, as referenced in another thread on this forum.

I'm about to throw in the towel on my SB6141. Back in December, I had a SB5100 that worked flawlessly. I bought a SB6141 to escape the rental fee. Big mistake.

The SB6141 reboots itself about 3-5x per day.

TWC was out and replaced all the coax from the pole to my house. Same problem. So I bought another new SB6141, knowing TWC was going to say "it's the modem" .. guess what. Same problem.

So it's not the coax, not the modem. It COULD be the firmware, which they refuse to update. I've spoken to about 5 different techs, all of them say it'll never happen. (And I tell each one of them, that's fine, but TWC will need to endure lots of customer calls about the SB6141 until the firmware is updated, which is rumored to help the rebooting problem.

Not sure where to go from here. I'll eBay the two SB6141s and buy something else. Maybe it's DOCSIS 3 that TWC has problems with, maybe I'll go back to what was solid before, the old SB5100.

Really pisses me off.

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

I read the white retail one has the August 2012 firmware. Which one do you have the black or the white retail?

ltm320

join:2002-02-24
Milwaukee, WI

I have the black one.

The RR techs are coming out on Tuesday, but I have little hope. My belief is that the infrastructure around my block is just not good enough for DOCSIS 3 to keep a solid connection.

I'll give it a few days after the techs come out, then probably buy the venerable SB5101. That thing was solid.

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

said by ltm320:

I have the black one.

The RR techs are coming out on Tuesday, but I have little hope. My belief is that the infrastructure around my block is just not good enough for DOCSIS 3 to keep a solid connection.

I'll give it a few days after the techs come out, then probably buy the venerable SB5101. That thing was solid.

Did your area have a lot of cable plant replaced, and TWC took awhile to get Docsis 3 there? That is how it was in my area we just got Extreme on 11-30-12 and it snowed very heavily 3 days ago and we had 3-4 disconnects during that day, with two different modems the SB6141 and 5341J. TWC is also coming out Tuesday for me as well.