join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

2 recommendations

Oracle - fix your java updater

An open message to Oracle

Fix that ridiculous java update software.

I was logged in as a limited user, and the stupid java updater showed its ugly head, asking for an administrative password to continue (the UAC prompt). Quite honestly, I would prefer it if your stupid updater did not bother me when I am logged in as a limited user. It should be able to save that until I login as an adminstrator.

In any case, I provided the admin password, as requested. And then the updater immediately failed (unable to download files). The same thing happened to me earlier, with update 13.

So here's my request to Oracle:

Fix the damned thing. I would much prefer that the updater wait until there is an adminstrator logged in. But if it absolutely must advise that there's an update with a limited user, then make sure that the updater works in those circumstances.

Do you folk at Oracle even test your software with limited users? If not, then you are part of the security problem with Windows.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3 RC1; firefox 18.0.2

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

In that case some of us who never log on as an administer would never get updates.

They do have a problem though. I get those updater popups too and then am told that I have the latest update.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

reply to nwrickert

Same - limited user model never works right. Then when I switch over to admin account it only updates correctly once in a blue moon.

So now when I see an alert I goto java.com download the offline installer, uninstall, install the new version.

(on win 7, haven't installed java on my 8 machine yet...)

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to nwrickert

You don't have IE 10 do you? If you install both 32bit and 64bit versions of Java then your Java panel REMOVES the ability to "check for updates". This is because 64bit Java cannot be updated automatically.

So, if you want manual updates then either uncheck that box in your 32bit Java Panel to automatically check for updates or install 64 bit Java for IE 10 and ALL Java updates hence forth will be manual only with NO automatic checking (even for 32bit Java).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by Mele20:

You don't have IE 10 do you?

I think it is IE9. That computer is turned off right now, so I can't look.

So, if you want manual updates then either uncheck that box in your 32bit Java Panel to automatically check for updates

I've done that in the past, and it is turned on with the next update.

It would be nice if I could turn if off for the limited user, and on for the administrative user. But that possibility does not seem to be there.

In any case, I'm only asking for consistency. If they want to tell me about the update while a limited user, then updating should be possible as a limited user (after answering the UAC prompt for admin password).
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3 RC1; firefox 18.0.2

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

I agree that if Oracle tells a limited user that an update is available but won't let click through to elevate to Admin to install it that doesn't make sense and is inconsistent.

IE 10 on Win 8 is now supposedly running as full 64 bit versino (the tabs are now 64 bit) so Oracle should install 64bit Java for IE but it isn't ...it did in the past. Another inconsistency.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by Mele20:

I agree that if Oracle tells a limited user that an update is available but won't let click through to elevate to Admin to install it that doesn't make sense and is inconsistent.

But it is worse than that.

It clicks through to allow you to elevate. And then, after you have entered the admin password to elevate, it fails.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Yuck! That would definitely irritate me.