spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lugnut

@communications.com

[Rant] Canadian Prices!!!

Prepare yourself for yet another rant about how Canadians get gouged everytime we turn around.

I have three circline fluorescent fixtures in my basement and generally speaking one of the bulbs blows out every couple of years or so.

Anyway, I just used up my last spare and now I'm shopping around for a replacement.

Best CDN price I can find is Home Depot at $10.98 a piece.

»www.homedepot.ca/product/22-watt···t/918000

Now I draw the line at having to spend over $12 a piece for a lousy light bulb with taxes just because I'm Canadian.

I want to pick up at least two or three of these as spares but I ain't gonna spend that kind of money.

Anyway, here's what Google turns up on a similar bulb in the US.

»www.lightbulbemporium.com/philip···plus.asp

$2.Frigging-39 apiece!!!!!!

Amazon in the US sells them for $8.99 each eligible for free shipping in the US.

Amazon.ca sells them for more than Home Depot with an insane shipping charge of over $36!!!!

Fortunately I have a sister in law who works for an electrical supply company in Mississauga. I've put in a request with her to see what she can get them for.

Nonetheless, when the hell are we going to start seeing the same kind of deals up here that the Americans get? My ass is tired, sore and bleeding from all the reaming I get for having the privilege of "free" health care.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
You're not comparing the same products. The one Home Depot is selling is the 392357 model of Philips 22-watt T9 (Daylight Deluxe). It's $8.59 on amazon.com and exactly the same price on amazon.ca. Quit yer bitchin'!

lugnut

@communications.com
Did ya happen to notice the $16.62 shipping charge on the Amazon.ca page while you were at it?

»www.amazon.ca/Philips-Circline-F···8&sr=8-1

shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to lugnut
Buy a new fixture and get one that takes cheap bulbs.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
said by shrug :

Buy a new fixture and get one that takes cheap bulbs.

ya Fred Flintstone used circline bulbs didn't he. Made from dinosaur bones.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
reply to lugnut
I wouldn't be so quick to say we always get gouged. On many occasions I have found prices the same, or cheaper, here.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to lugnut
Yes, I see the shipping charge, and it's nowhere near the $36 you ranted about originally. Nor is the shipping from amazon.com free, either, as both the Canadian and US sites ship from third parties. Looks like Canadian shipping is about $16 or so and US shipping is about $8 or so within the 48 states. You can also get the US supplier to ship to Canada, but that will cost you more than getting it from amazon.ca. All those options are prohibitive if just buying one or two bulbs, and obviously all of them intend that you will order a reasonable quantity, like a case of 12. Otherwise, find a local store.

And, like I had to point out to you, you were incorrectly comparing different models and the US and Canadian prices for that model are exactly the same. You're welcome.
--
I go and lie down where the wood drake rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds. I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief. For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and I am free.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
reply to koira
Maybe you should check Rona
I find their prices are lower than HD more often than not
It's a Canadian company
They claim 84% of products are Canadian sourced.
Expand your moderator at work

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to shrug

Re: [Rant] Canadian Prices!!!

Like I said, it's not just one fixture, it's three, and I have low ceilings in the basement. I like these because they are low profile and give a lot of light.

My sister in law offered to get me a good deal on LED lighting but that stuff is too directional and would turn my basement into a cave. Not to mention that any type of CF fixture would get knocked around by accident if I were moving stuff around.

For this location, low profile circlines are the ideal solution. I'm just hoping that my sister in law can get me them for a sane price. If she can get them for $5 to $6 a piece I'll stock up on 4 of them and not have to worry about them for another 10 years.

lugnut

@communications.com

1 edit
reply to Wolfie00
Since you're so handy googling part numbers why don't you put your abilities to good use and find me a Canadian vendor who'll sell them to me for $5 a piece plus reasonable shipping? Frankly I could care less about the part numbers. All I'm looking for is reasonably priced 8" T9 Circline bulbs with daylight color temperatures

[Deleted]

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
I'm seeing them for $8 in the USA (Lowes). $10 in Canada. Even checking on eBay the US prices are very high. (minimum $10 per unit with shipping)

You might want to invest in changing the fixture.

You can get low profile linear fluorescent. I'm thinking a T4 (1/2 inch) 4 or 8 foot.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

lugnut

@communications.com
These guys will do me 12 for $3.10 a piece.

»www.lightbulbemporium.com/satco_···t9_d.asp

But they ship UPS and the shipping would kill me plus 12 bulbs would probably last longer than I will. I really don't need a 40 year supply.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to lugnut
Last year I needed to buy one of these
»www.homedepot.ca/product/decora-···e/905808
At the time Home Depot Canada was selling them for around $18.

I went into the store, picked one off the shelf and then went to Customer Service and asked, "Do you price match?" I was told, "Yes. Then, using my cellphone, I went to the Homedepot.com (US) web site where the price was $9 and said that I'd like them to price match that. They did.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
Would they do that for a big ticket item like a snowblower?

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
said by koira:

Would they do that for a big ticket item like a snowblower?

You have to ask to know for sure.
Costs nothing to ask.

wasHighwire

@teksavvy.com
reply to lugnut
It's bad with a lot of consumer electronics. At Xmas I was looking at a 60" plasma TV. Average price in the USA was $1800, but here $2700 for the exact same model. Ouch.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Last year I needed to buy one of these
»www.homedepot.ca/product/decora-···e/905808
At the time Home Depot Canada was selling them for around $18.

I went into the store, picked one off the shelf and then went to Customer Service and asked, "Do you price match?" I was told, "Yes. Then, using my cellphone, I went to the Homedepot.com (US) web site where the price was $9 and said that I'd like them to price match that. They did.

I think they made a mistake. No? They don't usually price match from the states. First I hear of this.

However Homedepot will take any offer offered by someone like Rona (or even an out of prov store). I once walked in with an Ontario coupon in a Qc store offering 30% off for any cash purchase over 500$. I also had prices from 3 other stores.

Not only did the go 10% lower on the price-match policy, they also took the competitor coupon. Man I saved BIG on that purchase. They made me pay cash though. No biggie.

Normally the competitor has to be local. Not out of country. But each place does their own thing. Or it may depend on how dumb and tired the manager is that you get.
»www.homedepot.ca/content/custome···epot-faq

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to lugnut

Problem Solved!!!

My sister in law managed to come thru for me. With her employee discount she got them for me for $4.13 CDN a piece or wholesale cost.

That means those bastards at Home Depot and Canadian Tire are charging a 200% Markup!!!!

Anyway, all's well that ends well. Once they perfect the LED bulbs to give a normal looking light I may have her pick me up a set to replace all the CF bulbs around the house.

indeedy

@videotron.ca
said by lugnut :

That means those bastards at Home Depot and Canadian Tire are charging a 200% Markup!!!!

oh yeah, and not just on those bulbs.

Ever look at the prices people quote for the LED bulbs in the home improvement section of this forum? I have never seen prices like that here.

For some reason light bulbs (as far as I know for Ontario and Quebec) are very heavily marked-up.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to lugnut
I wish I could be more like you and others. Fighting for the small ticket stuff, to get the best price. I usually just pay it. For big ticket, of course I try, but, it seems there I luck out and usually get close or below the US price. Mind you, all of that is just anecdotal, as its just what my memory is when it comes to certain big ticket items, which a lot of the time are niche items to begin with. lol

I will price match online for small ticket stuff, if its easy, like the system at ncix for computer stuff, but aside from that, if in store, I just pay what they are asking. I really should try more, since that is where we get ripped, since we buy way more small ticket stuff, and it adds up over a year.

lugnut

@communications.com
I don't consider a $35 savings on 4 bulbs small ticket. I would drive crosstown to save that much on a weekly food shop easily.

Still it galls me that all the big stores simply collude to charge the same price and the same horrific markup on a simple everyday item like a fluorescent bulb.

Anybody who tells you that competition is alive and well in Canada today is a bald faced liar!