All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Sgooter
join:2013-02-23
Palm Bay, FL

Sgooter

[CFL] BHN Internet & Digital Phone - Which Modem to Buy?

I want to buy a modem versus renting it from BHN. I've looked at the list of BHN-approved modems, but I'm still confused. Currently my net speed is 10/1. What modem should I buy that will work well with BHN's internet & digital phone services in order to not be charged any modem fees/rent? Is there a simple solution? Am I correct that my digital cable TV service is not a technical factor in this decision?
Keiro
join:2005-10-25
Birmingham, AL

Keiro

said by Sgooter:

I want to buy a modem versus renting it from BHN. I've looked at the list of BHN-approved modems, but I'm still confused. Currently my net speed is 10/1. What modem should I buy that will work well with BHN's internet & digital phone services in order to not be charged any modem fees/rent? Is there a simple solution? Am I correct that my digital cable TV service is not a technical factor in this decision?

Unfortunately... if you want to use BHN Internet and Phone from BHN... you will have to rent an eMTA from BHN. You can, however, use a modem on the list of BHN-approved modems.

That's pretty much the only way you can get around the rental fee... and even then, I don't think you can completely get away from the rental fee, due to the presence of the eMTA.

As for the digital cable TV... not that I'm aware of, but I'll defer to the experts in regards to TV.

TL;DR: You can buy your own Modem, but you cannot buy your own eMTA, as they are not commodity hardware like the modems are.

You still get to deal with a rental fee.

GeNomer
join:2013-01-21
Indianapolis, IN

GeNomer to Sgooter

to Sgooter
I think in some areas they do let you use your own mta so you'll probably have to call and check. If they do, I would recommend one of the Arris mtas from the list. I've used the TM602G before and it is solid. I've never used the TG852G but it looks really good. Can't know for sure yet though.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Keiro

Premium Member

to Keiro
said by Keiro:

said by Sgooter:

Unfortunately... if you want to use BHN Internet and Phone from BHN... you will have to rent an eMTA from BHN. You can, however, use a modem on the list of BHN-approved modems.

That's pretty much the only way you can get around the rental fee... and even then, I don't think you can completely get away from the rental fee, due to the presence of the eMTA.

As for the digital cable TV... not that I'm aware of, but I'll defer to the experts in regards to TV.

TL;DR: You can buy your own Modem, but you cannot buy your own eMTA, as they are not commodity hardware like the modems are.

Incorrect... If you buy an MTA that's on the approved list you will not pay the modem fee period.
Keiro
Birmingham, AL

Keiro

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by Keiro:

said by Sgooter:

Incorrect... If you buy an MTA that's on the approved list you will not pay the modem fee period.

I had no idea this changed up until recently. I'll revise that knowledge.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Keiro:

Actually has been this way for quite some time now.
Sgooter
Palm Bay, FL

Sgooter

Is this true: If I buy my own BHN-approved internet modem (non-eMTA), and I also subscribe to BHN's digital phone service, then BHN must provide me with an MTA, for which I will not be charged the monthly rental fee?
Keiro
Birmingham, AL

Keiro to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by Keiro:

Actually has been this way for quite some time now.

It's awesome, that it is the way it is now... but I had 0 idea until now. I DID only just return to BHN in January... :P
Sgooter
Palm Bay, FL

1 edit

Sgooter to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Clearly, my confusion continues. I thought the items on the approved list were modems only. What would be an example of an MTA only model on the approved list?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Sgooter

Premium Member

to Sgooter
Arris TG852/862
Sgooter
Palm Bay, FL

Sgooter

said by Sgooter:

Is this true: If I buy my own BHN-approved internet modem (non-eMTA), and I also subscribe to BHN's digital phone service, then BHN must provide me with an MTA, for which I will not be charged the monthly rental fee?

Still waiting for an answer to the above question.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Sgooter:

said by Sgooter:

I have answered your question multiple times. If you bring a customer owned MTA and have internet and phone you will not pay the modem fee. If you bring a standard modem and have phone service then you would still pay the modem fee.

geo44
join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44

I have a question regarding support on customer owned modems/MTA.
How would tech support work if a problem arises? Would BH trouble shoot to the point where they would say "your modem has a problem" or would we be "on our own" ?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by geo44:

How would tech support work if a problem arises? Would BH trouble shoot to the point where they would say "your modem has a problem" or would we be "on our own" ?

We have ways to know if the modem is the issue or otherwise. Your tech support experience will not change otherwise for customer owned modems.

geo44
join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

geo44

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by geo44:

We have ways to know if the modem is the issue or otherwise. Your tech support experience will not change otherwise for customer owned modems.

Now that's what I call great service
Good to know in case I ever want to go that route.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by geo44:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by geo44:

Now that's what I call great service
Good to know in case I ever want to go that route.

If you have anything less of an experience please let me know.
Sgooter
Palm Bay, FL

Sgooter to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by Sgooter:

said by Sgooter:

I have answered your question multiple times. If you bring a customer owned MTA and have internet and phone you will not pay the modem fee. If you bring a standard modem and have phone service then you would still pay the modem fee.

Thanks for this answer. If I believed my question had been previously answered, I would not have brought it to the forefront again.