uniqs

Swingerhead
Premium Member
join:2004-04-06
Richmond, VA

Swingerhead

Premium Member

Virgin mobile down for weeks, no 3g

Just checking to see if anyone else if having issues on here. Ive been with Virgin for 5-6 years as a happy customer. I have a HTC Evo V 4g. They said there was some kind of system update but since then I have had no data on 3g. 4g seems fine but the coverage here is spotty so cant do much with that.

Ive emailed them repeatedly and they say every time, it will be back up in 2 days. Ive contacted their support, same thing.

There is data on 3g, but only for email, facebook and twitter app. Nothing else can get access.

Since I can get full data over 4g, there must be some kind of proxy issues.

Example:
Search with the Google search bar and get a page that says:
Not found. The requested URL /search was not found on this server. Apache server at www.google.com port 8095.

ive also seen a few things about Openwave server come up but not at this time.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Working a-ok in the Kansas Missouri and Oklahoma areas.

I've never had any luck with their email... many have luck with their social media (facebook, twitter) because it puts them in the public eye and you get someone who can actually fix things.

That is totally bizarre that its re-directing google to 8095.
Random_H3ro
join:2012-12-21
Ottawa, IL

Random_H3ro to Swingerhead

to Swingerhead
I have virgin mobile and i haven't been able to use 3g for a couple days I can make phone calls and everything but no 3g.

sadpanda88
@rr.com

sadpanda88

Anon

same here

turtles123
@spcsdns.net

turtles123 to Swingerhead

Anon

to Swingerhead
check this out... i can only access HTTPS sites, not HTTP. it's something going on with their network since they just did an upgrade.. they really need to fix this
turtles123

turtles123 to Swingerhead

Anon

to Swingerhead
any update yet? mine's been messed up since the 22nd. SAME EXACT PROBLEM. ive had to sit on the phone with tech support for at least 2 hours total, all for them to say they'd call me back.. but they havent.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

You need to get on twitter or facebook or call them... the email support won't get you far

AintGotTime
@spcsdns.net

AintGotTime to Swingerhead

Anon

to Swingerhead
4G down and I need it up.... NOW VIRGIN MOBILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

virgin mobile doesn't even know about this forum... if you need them to fix something I suggest twitter, facebook, or phone.
Max Signal
Premium Member
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

I guess it is not as good a deal as it seems

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by Max Signal:

I guess it is not as good a deal as it seems

Really depends on what device and plan you have and if you are in a wimax area if you have a new plan

I have had no issues on any of the broadband 2 go devices I deal with.

It is sad that virgin mobile can't fix sprint issues any faster than say, mcom, since they own them

Maybee if they started charging an activation fee they could get someone to read the forums... I wonder
Random_H3ro
Ottawa, IL

to Swingerhead
Well I called virgin mobile phone support 2 days ago due to my 3g being out the lady said upgrades are being done in the area from 2/22/13 to 3/7/13. So I checked yesterday to see if it was back on but no go. I called tech support talked to some lady that said the upgrades were all done with on march 2nd so i was like wtf then i was transferd about 6 times with no luck the last dude i talked to suggested i drive 55 miles to the next tower and see if it works there F that and F virgin mobile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Random_H3ro

to Swingerhead
Another thing is I can on access Virgin mobile's my account web page and I can log in and everything and check my balance and what not but then typed in googles home page and it almost loaded just their search bar but no google logo like the page half way loaded and that was it no 3g anymore anyone else notice this? very strange..........

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

I am still not seeing issues on broadband2go products. I will find my old Virgin Android device tonight and toss 25 bucks on it to see if it is only happening to their phone side.
Random_H3ro
Ottawa, IL

Random_H3ro

Any updates anyone? I still have no 3g and tech support aint worth a fuk.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by Random_H3ro:

Any updates anyone?

Can't find my VM android! I looked over the weekend... will check another place tonight.

One thing I noticed when looking at a map for the city in your profile was that sprint LTE if appearing North East of you... this makes me think they might be doing sprint network upgrades in your area. These upgrades usually lead to weeks of bad service according to most posts i've seen around the web.
Random_H3ro
Ottawa, IL

1 recommendation

Random_H3ro

Yeah according to VM tech support they were doing upgrades that were all completed on the 2nd of march but yeah anyways I called them up all day they had me reset the phone and reactivate it. It took about 2 hours for the phone too hook up to the network but sure enough it did and I have 3g now very very slow but hey it works im hopeing that the slow speeds have to do with what you were saying about crappy service couple weeks after an upgrade. Cant really be to mad about it they gave me a free month of service for it being out.
wiggles42
join:2013-03-28
Columbia, CT

wiggles42 to Swingerhead

to Swingerhead
I have been getting the same exact message as well. I have had VM for 5 years and also own a HTC Evo 4g. I want to to know if your service has been restored or what anyone here has done to get it back.

I called Virgin tech support and they sent me a new phone....and it has the same problem! Help!!!!

Florida54
@rcn.com

Florida54 to Swingerhead

Anon

to Swingerhead
I've been having this same issue for over a week now. After much back-and-forth with Virgin Mobile's clueless email, facebook and phone support staff, I finally just talked to somebody in their "Advanced Technical Support" team who seemed to know what he was talking about.

According to him, the issue is that since purchasing Virgin Mobile last year, Sprint is now gradually porting all of the existing VM accounts into Sprint's account management system. Apparently, while your account is "in flight" (his phrase) from the old Virgin Mobile "Siebel" system to Sprint's "i-Care" system 3G and voicemail features will not work properly. He claimed that the transfer process starts right after a payment, and usually takes 7-10 business days, but he had occasionally seen it take up to 15.

I'm still pretty irritated with Virgin Mobile for never communicating any of this information, but at least this guy seemed to be familiar with the problem. I'm going to wait and see if his prediction is correct that the issue resolves itself in a few days when the account transfer completes.

byjohnson
@mcleodusa.net

byjohnson

Anon

This problem has been going on for me for at least two billing cycles. I specifically remember being out with friends in February and not being able to use google maps. It is now April and still no fix.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to Swingerhead

to Swingerhead
Is this affecting 3G on mobile phones

or 3G on mobile broadband devices? or BOTH?

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by compuguybna:

or 3G on mobile broadband devices?

I am not seeing this on broadband2go devices.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Swingerhead

Premium Member

to Swingerhead
»Virgin Mobile Broadband

Florida54
@rcn.com

Florida54 to byjohnson

Anon

to byjohnson
So Friday has come and gone...still no 3G data. I called support again, and their first-level person made me repeat all the stuff I'd already done (check settings, fiddle with MDN/MSID) before transferring me. This time, the "advanced" support guy seemed a lot less competent; he told me that there was nothing he could do, he hadn't been trained on the i-Care system, and he didn't have access to any tools to view my account. I have to admire his honesty, and I feel bad his employers hung him out to dry like that, but I'm also getting really fed up with Virgin Mobile's incompetence and clueless support people.

Some people on the AndroidCentral forum are reporting that letting the account run out of money and then waiting a day before renewing fixes the problem: »forums.androidcentral.co ··· -3g.html

At this rate, it's looking like I'll have to wait until the end of the month and hope that works for me too. Nobody at Virgin Mobile seems to have the slightest clue how to fix this.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

why are you even staying with this? Change your service.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Florida54

Premium Member

to Florida54
said by Florida54 :

So Friday has come and gone...still no 3G data. I called support again, and their first-level person made me repeat all the stuff I'd already done (check settings, fiddle with MDN/MSID) before transferring me. This time, the "advanced" support guy seemed a lot less competent; he told me that there was nothing he could do, he hadn't been trained on the i-Care system, and he didn't have access to any tools to view my account. I have to admire his honesty, and I feel bad his employers hung him out to dry like that, but I'm also getting really fed up with Virgin Mobile's incompetence and clueless support people.

Some people on the AndroidCentral forum are reporting that letting the account run out of money and then waiting a day before renewing fixes the problem: »forums.androidcentral.co ··· -3g.html

At this rate, it's looking like I'll have to wait until the end of the month and hope that works for me too. Nobody at Virgin Mobile seems to have the slightest clue how to fix this.

»Virgin Mobile Broadband

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
said by Jim_in_VA:

why are you even staying with this? Change your service.

We stay because we get unlimited EVDO for $40 with NO ACTIVATION FEES

Florida54
@rcn.com

Florida54

Anon

$25/month in my case (I'm grandfathered in on the older plan)

I finally did get this sorted out. I talked to one of the first-level techs and (after going through their script again) requested that they escalate me to somebody who had been trained on the "i-Care" system. I was transferred to a very helpful agent. She checked my account and was immediately able to see that the transfer had gone through, but there was a problem with my data plan. She "restarted" my account (as though it were a new month after a payment) and my 3G data immediately began working correctly.

It took her all of about 5 minutes to identify the problem and correct it, so it's pretty absurd how many VM agents claimed that there was no problem and nothing they could do.

Anyway, I'm glad it's fixed and hopefully it will be a long time before I need to talk to their support team again.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Florida54 :

$25/month in my case (I'm grandfathered in on the older plan)

I finally did get this sorted out. I talked to one of the first-level techs and (after going through their script again) requested that they escalate me to somebody who had been trained on the "i-Care" system. I was transferred to a very helpful agent. She checked my account and was immediately able to see that the transfer had gone through, but there was a problem with my data plan. She "restarted" my account (as though it were a new month after a payment) and my 3G data immediately began working correctly.

It took her all of about 5 minutes to identify the problem and correct it, so it's pretty absurd how many VM agents claimed that there was no problem and nothing they could do.

Anyway, I'm glad it's fixed and hopefully it will be a long time before I need to talk to their support team again.

»Virgin Mobile Broadband
javapop
join:2013-04-28

javapop to Florida54

to Florida54
Just found this thread, it is the second place I've noticed reference to "i-care" system.

I started having no 3G about 4 weeks ago, all of a sudden, and when I called, was told again and again that there was an outage that would be back the following day, until about 2 weeks later, I was told about upgrading that was taking place with no set time for completion.

We have 3 Optimus sliders, all on GF plans. Our daughter is in Jackson MS with a 601 area code, and her phone is working fine. My son a new line, which has a 909 area code; and his 3g data works fine. We are accessing the same network under my roof, and his works, but mine doesn't. These are identical phones, running the same version of android. I can't even begin to explain how difficult it has been to explain this to every tech support or cust. support person. They can't seem to get it.

Here are my issues specifically:

Browser: Pages aren't loading. Actually, m.virginmobileusa.com loads, after giving me "security warning… there are problems with the security certificate for this site This certificate is not from a trusted authority" and then loads with no problems. No other website pads on 3g. They work fine on wifi.

Downloading apps: from PlayStore, when I try to download an app, it never downloads. Just stall. It works fine on wifi.

Voice to Text does not work. I use this with messaging, and with Navigate. Never locks in and transcribes the text. It works fine on wifi; but not at all on 3g. It has for a very long time, with no problems.

These all appear to be tied to the 3g data. Texting and voice calls are working fine. Gmail works for text only, it won't transfer images, and text messages with images will not go through.

I'e been seeing references to reprovisioning, I have not specifically asked about that, and will try. It has been tricky getting past tier 1 support, I have to go through the extensive process of explaining, and doing steps every time, the last call I was connected to tech support, and after going through troubleshooting, was told it would be escalated to headquarters, and I would be contacted within 48-72 hours. This was last Wednesday. Never heard from anyone.