Thanks for the updated version alert.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

1 recommendation

It is good update but anybody with older keyboard/mouse should check if compatible first. If not, it will remove the previous software and whatever functionality that software had.

Cudni
--
"what we know we know the same, what we don't know, we don't know it differently."
Help yourself so God can help you.
Microsoft MVP, 2006 - 2012/13

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
Yeah. That is a good point. I'll repost that link for anyone wondering if the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center will correctly function with a users hardware, or if they should use IntelliType/IntelliPoint.
If you click each previous version link, this was discussed a bit too.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Dustyn
Click for full size
Always glad to help keep track of new versions!

By the way, I'm still getting the above message logged as an error in the application event log every time I open the application. This is with the older version removed first, and the new one installed. I'm also on Windows 8 Pro x64 at this point.

As far as I can tell, the software does everything its suppose to without any noticeable error messages. I do have a Microsoft Digital Pro Media Keyboard.

Thoughts?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
Just like you I had the very same error.
However it was fixed by performing a full uninstall and re-install with the full installer. (not through Windows Update) Subsequent updates have just been installed ontop of the prior version through either Windows Update, or through the software itself. I keep scanning through my Application logs for that error but it's gone after performing the above task.

I think however, you have already tried this.
So I too am curious as to the nature of the error.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

1 recommendation

You are correct. Each time I have installed, its been with the full installer (not one on Windows Update). If I have a version already installed, I will remove it, reboot, and then install new.

I've even gone as far as re-install the OS just to make sure there was no odd files/folders/reg keys left behind by the older one. Yet, the error remains.

Again, its not a big issue as I don't launch the software much once I have my buttons configured. Not only that, if I do have to launch it, I never see the error unless I go looking in the event logs. It is however interesting that with each version, this is one "issue" that remains to be unresolved.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
Last time I spoke with someone about this, they indicated that it has something to do with a possible corrupted .NET Framework. There was no real solution given...

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

By the way, I'm still getting the above message logged as an error in the application event log every time I open the application.

Thoughts?

What's in the Details tab?
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
Click for full size
Friendly View
Click for full size
XML View
said by JohnInSJ:

said by plencnerb:

By the way, I'm still getting the above message logged as an error in the application event log every time I open the application.

Thoughts?

What's in the Details tab?

I believe its the same data using both the "Friendly View" or "XML View", but I did not want to assume anything, so I posted a screen shot of both.

Not a lot of info there, but maybe it will help solve this?

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
Out of curiosity... if you double click the event and click more information to see if they have an online solution (which they don't), does it say it's in relation to Microsoft .NET?
»/r0/download/2···led2.jpg
This was the information it brought up a few version ago.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
I get the same picture (see above).

What's interesting in my case is that .NET 4.0 is built-in to Windows 8.

I know I have installed .NET 3.5 so that I could use Quicken 2013.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to Dustyn
Click for full size
Wanted to update this thread with a modification that I noticed with this new version.

I am currently in the process of re-building my machine. I've only installed the OS, and this software.

What I noticed is that the registry key items for "itype.exe" and "ipoint.exe" are no longer present. However, they are running every time I reboot.

So, in doing some investigation into the issue, I opened up task scheduler.

As you can see by the above picture, the launching of itype and ipoint are now done via a scheduled task that runs "At logon of any user".

I'm also not sure what the other tasks are for or what they do. So, I'm just going to leave them all alone.

I also want to point out that even at this early stage, I still get the same error event every time I launch the software. Since all I've done is install the OS, and version 2.1.177.0 of the keyboard software, I know its not a software conflict, or (hopefully) not some kind of .NET corruption. I have not, however, installed any Windows or Microsoft Updates yet.

Finally, all of these tasks were created by the install of the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center software. Before I did the install, I did look at the scheduled tasks, and I did not have any present.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
Do you have a non-supported mouse or keyboard attached? This cryptic error event may be dropped if the software finds a device but it isn't supported.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
While I do have a Microsoft Keyboard(Microsoft Digital Media Pro), I do not have a Microsoft Mouse. The information for my mouse is below

Logitech
M110
M/N: M-B0001
P/N: 810-001243
PID: LZ139HR

Could this be why I'm seeing that error?

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

sekim
Premium,MVM
join:1999-08-17
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:1
I have a MS wireless mouse but not the MS keyboard.
So I've disabled the Tasks for the iType items.
Seems ok & eliminated some event messages.

win8x64

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

1 edit
Hey that's a good idea. If I disable (not delete) the event for iPoint that could solve this.

I would assume iType would be the EXE for the keyboard part (type would imply tying on a keyboard) and iPoint would be the EXE for the mouse part (point would imply the mouse pointer).

I'll give that a try and see if that solves my problem.

edit
I went and disabled any scheduled task for "IPoint". I also verified that the process was not running. Then, after clearing all the event logs, I launched the Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse Center.

iPoint.exe then started, and I got the same error event.

So, that's not it!

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner