share rss forum feed

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

2 edits
reply to technocar2

Re: Unlimited Internet option on Rogers for a limited time

Well something was messed up. Youtube doesn't stream at 100Mbps. Download something, maybe, but streaming at that, no. Since the vast majority of people don't have those speeds, and like I said, blu ray maxes out, 3D at 60Mpbs.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
kudos:2

3 edits

said by Viper359:

Well something was messed up. Youtube doesn't stream at 100Mbps. Download something, maybe, but streaming at that, no. Since the vast majority of people don't have those speeds, and like I said, blu ray maxes out, 3D at 60Mpbs.

Nothing was messed up!

I think you are confusing the terms "bit-rate" and "streaming", they are two different things. Bit-rate is what video is playing at for example ~33Mbps for blu-ray 1080p or ~10mbps for youtube 1080p, but streaming is when you download while you watch the earlier part of whats already downloaded. So the streaming speed (or the download speed) will be higher (100mbps) but the bit-rate for that video will still be what it was meant to be (10mbps). Even though youtube videos don't have bit-rates of 100mbps that does not mean you can't stream the video at super fast speeds.

Here is an example, the following video has a bit-rate of probably about 7mbps but as you can see I downloaded the entire video in about 30 seconds. Why?..because it streamed at ~150mbps to my computer but I can still only watch it at 7mbps bit-rate; it just means that I don't have to sit there waiting for the video to "buffer" because I streamed/downloaded a 32 minute video in just 30 seconds.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

You are right. Insert massive face palm here. See what happens when you work midnights and try to sound all so smart when you first wake up.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
kudos:2

said by Viper359:

See what happens when you work midnights and try to sound all so smart when you first wake up.

lol...