join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Archivis

Re: Electric Bill

I live in the northeast and my electric bill in the summer is about $90 (running two window A/C units constantly) and $189 in the winter (assuming average temps because I have baseboard heat). I get the special needs/disability discount on my electric bill because I have been disabled since I was born. In some states, utilities are required by their tariffs to offer a discounted rate for senior citizen/disabled customers.

Edit: my unit is 936 square feet on my side of the duplex.

If your bill is that high, you might want to see if you qualify for any discounts/assistance. You could also look into budget billing where they average out a year's worth of bills into equal installments. If you own the house, you could look into converting to a cheaper source of heating or upgrading appliances. If you rent, either talk to the landlord about upgrading appliances or put in your 30 days notice that you are moving.

One last note, if the refrigerator is more than 10 years old, replace it. An old refrigerator will shoot an electric bill through the roof.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
reply to Archivis

For an all electric house in Pennsylvania in the winter - sounds about right. You really need a cheaper way to heat your house - a heat pump would help a bunch - but you need to have the duct work for distribution (think - central air conditioning). You probably also have the normal suspects of inadequate insulation.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

If your bill is that high, you might want to see if you qualify for any discounts/assistance. You could also look into budget billing where they average out a year's worth of bills into equal installments. If you own the house, you could look into converting to a cheaper source of heating or upgrading appliances. If you rent, either talk to the landlord about upgrading appliances or put in your 30 days notice that you are moving.

I just moved in here under a home purchase, not a rental. I'm not going to quality for anything under my income.

One last note, if the refrigerator is more than 10 years old, replace it. An old refrigerator will shoot an electric bill through the roof.

Let me try shutting that off real quick.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to scooper

said by scooper:

For an all electric house in Pennsylvania in the winter - sounds about right. You really need a cheaper way to heat your house - a heat pump would help a bunch - but you need to have the duct work for distribution (think - central air conditioning). You probably also have the normal suspects of inadequate insulation.

I moved from an all electric house in PA to another house 10 minutes away, all electric. My AC unit is central air, but it's 21 years old. I intend to replace it with a heat pump. Sounds like I need to get that out of the way before next year.

I turned off all of the baseboard heat in the house and went from 7seconds per rotation to 13 seconds. Let me try turning off the fridge.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

said by Archivis:

said by scooper:

I moved from an all electric house in PA to another house 10 minutes away, all electric. My AC unit is central air, but it's 21 years old. I intend to replace it with a heat pump. Sounds like I need to get that out of the way before next year.

I turned off all of the baseboard heat in the house and went from 7seconds per rotation to 13 seconds. Let me try turning off the fridge.

That fridge at most will eat $15/mo. $20 max

Not worth it.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to Archivis

If it's any consolation, at least you don't have a natural gas bill...

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to mityfowl

I just turned off the fridge and the disc went from 13 seconds per rotation to 19 seconds per rotation. It's an Amana from 2002.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

I did once. Had a brutal January and a home built in 1912 with 13 foot ceilings. $600 for the natural gas alone. It broke me.
--

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

I just turned off the fridge and the disc went from 13 seconds per rotation to 19 seconds per rotation. It's an Amana from 2002.

That fridge is a bit harder to judge because 3 or 4 times a day it runs through a defrost cycle and activates a heating element.

You have to put a kill o watt on it.

Your going to need one of those anyway.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

The revolutions can be translated / converted to kw/h, can't it ? And does a fridge draw a lot ALL the time or only when the compressor runs ?

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Archivis

Just found out my fridge was on the max setting, ugh. Turned it down to just a hair below the mid point and the disc is spinning at around 19 seconds per rotation.

Sounds like I need to replace the fridge and probably the dryer. The dryer has it running rapidly as well.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

The revolutions can be translated / converted to kw/h, can't it ? And does a fridge draw a lot ALL the time or only when the compressor runs ?

I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than I, can interpret what I'm putting out here. I know nothing about this stuff.
--

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Archivis

Electric dyers are dead grounds.

They don't really get more efficient.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

The dryer has it running rapidly as well.

Replace the washer with a front loader to increase efficiency. Replacing the dryer will do nothing unless you change it to a gas dryer.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to Archivis

My mom has a broken baseboard heater in her house that no matter the temp setting ran way more than it should and hotter. Found it and turned it off at the breaker and her bill went way down. Now I of course do not know the average heating cost for baseboard heating in your area.
Still may be a good idea to see if any baseboard heaters are running continuously or getting hotter than any of the others.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

I did once. Had a brutal January and a home built in 1912 with 13 foot ceilings. $600 for the natural gas alone. It broke me.

Our house was built in 1913. Ceilings on the first floor are 10+ feet, 2nd floor they're not quite as high. Last month's gas bill was $118. That's about normal for winter here. I can see that last Jan my usage was slightly higher, but not much.

The gas company has nice analysis tools - tells me that for the last month, the average home paid $151/month.

We do have a reasonably new, high-efficient furnace and keep the thermostat no higher than 70 except on occasion will bump it to 72 for 1-2 cycles.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to nonymous

The room would be hotter, wouldn't it?

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

said by Hall:

I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than I, can interpret what I'm putting out here. I know nothing about this stuff.

Exactly ! I'm sure someone can help calculate things a bit.... They'll need to know how much you're charged per kw/h to start.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to Archivis

Your bill seems to be spot on for usage. A house built in 1979 should be fairly well insulated.
Your biggest draw, by far, will be electric heat. Electric heat is expensive. Even though your rates are low, heating with resistance electric will always cost a "shit ton" of money unless you live somewhere where they are practically giving electricity away.

That being said, your usage is very high unless this is a very large home. What is the conditioned square footage?
I would expect an average 1750 SF all-electric home in your climate to use around 2500-3500 kWH during the winter.

Also, you have an extra 5 days tacked onto your bill. That accounts for a little bit.

Are you sure you didn't get stuck holding the bag for the previous owners unpaid bill?

Also, make sure your well pump isn't constantly running (underground water leak).
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6
reply to Archivis

Get some small, quiet fans. Place them on the floor in out of the way places and aim them at the ceiling. Set them on 'low' so you can't hear them.

The objective is to eliminate stratification.

Electric heat (baseboard and ceiling) is popular here in OR and this reduces the problem.
--
Nothing makes an American want to do something more than telling them they can't.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to nunya

With a finished basement? I'm up over 3k square feet. Four bedrooms, two living rooms.

I did some work with my well pump and I know it's not running unless there's some usage. Sounds like I really have to curb my usage.
--

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

The revolutions can be translated / converted to kw/h, can't it ?

Yes it can, and it's simple. For the calculation below let's assume the meter has a Kh factor of 7.2, this represents the number of watthours per revolution ( look on the meter faceplate and there are a bunch of numbers printed by the mfr: class, voltage, TA, and Kh ) You only need to concern yourself with the Kh number.

So, take the Kh 7.2 (multiply) X 3600 (the number of seconds in one hour) and divide by the number of seconds for one revolution to calculate the load.

7.2 X 3600 / 13 seconds = 1993.84 watts
7.2 X 3600 / 19 seconds = 1364.21 watts

For heavy loads where the disc is spinning really fast, measure multiple revolutions and multiply the Kh by the number of revolutions used.

So if you used five revolutions it's 5 x 7.2 x 3600 / (seconds)
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

... average of 169 kWh/day.

Maybe 144kWh/24h = 6kW is in the ball park for heating an old home during a "colder than normal" month?

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

I have a natural gas bill and its the only one I look forward to getting since I know its never more than about $30...
--
.:|:. aztec being aztec...™

pferrie3

join:2005-01-27
Boston, MA
reply to Archivis

when you "turn the heat on" are you heating the whole house or just the room your in... that will also make a big diff

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

said by Bob4:

Don't forget the guy here who had a space heater he didn't know about running 24/7.

Just a bunch of baseboards everywhere

You need to get more efficient base board heaters.
This thread is funny, so much info lacking from the OP.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to Archivis

Check with the power company and find out if they can do a home energy audit. Some companies will do one at no cost to you. One of my relatives had a home energy audit on an older home. The energy audit was performed using a thermal imaging camera.

Their unfinished basement walls were uninsulated. It was recommended that they insulate the basement walls to an R19 value. They also learned that the attic insulation was originally R19 but over the years had compacted to about an R11 value. The auditor recommended that they add attic insulation to an value of R30 or higher. At the time there was a federal and/or state program where part of the cost to upgrade insulation was paid for through energy conservation rebates.

I believe that they saved about 20% on their annual energy cost with the insulation upgrade. They later replaced their hot air furnace and central air conditioner with a high efficiency unit, which further reduced energy consumption. Part of the cost was offset by energy conservation rebates.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to Archivis

I'd say you're about right on for 3000 SF.
As I mentioned earlier, electric heat just sucks butt holes. Really, any appliance that uses electricity to make heat cannot be made any more efficient (Ranges, WH, Dryer, Furnace, Baseboard, etc...). Electricity is very inefficient way of moving energy, but it is 100% efficient at it's point of use.

There are some things you can do:
1) Turn down the heat. It sounds like you already have it pretty low, so this suggestion probably won't help.
2) Insulate if needed. Seal cracks.
3) Consider having a forced air system installed with a heat pump or gas heat (if available).
4) ~Or~ Consider getting split ductless systems with heat pumps installed.

The heat pump water heaters get their efficiency by offloading the work onto the heating system. Unless you are in a Southern climate or the WH is outdoors, they don't make much sense.

You can put an insulation blanket on your existing electric WH, but I've heard that they really don't help with standby losses all that much.

I've never understood closing off sections of the house. It's like saying you are only going to pee in one corner of the pool, so the rest should be fine.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to pferrie3

said by pferrie3:

when you "turn the heat on" are you heating the whole house or just the room your in... that will also make a big diff

I had each of the baseboards at a minimum. I'm probably to reevaluate that.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to toby

said by toby:

You need to get more efficient base board heaters.
This thread is funny, so much info lacking from the OP.

I'm supplying as much info as I can. I'm not sure what I'm lacking.
--