spc
Search similar:

uniqs

LSUDVM
@comcast.net

LSUDVM

Anon

Zoom 5341 on Comcast Biz class?

I picked up a like new 5341 Zoom modem today for $5 at a garage sale. It is not on Comcast's approved list of modems for biz class. So can i still get it provisioned to try it out?

I use a 6121 now.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

If it's not a 5341J version, you wasted your $5.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to LSUDVM

MVM

to LSUDVM
You should call Comcast CS and ask, but 3 problems that I can see:

1. As Johkal pointed out, if this is a 5341 (versus the newer 5341J), then it will perform no better than the SB6121 that you already are using. They are both D3, 4x4 modems.

2. It is not on Comcast's recommended modem list for business class usage. Comcast tends to be rather specific about these things. Just because it is listed for residential service does not mean that they will provision it for business class.

3. As a used modem, regardless of condition, it is a total crap-shoot as to whether or not Comcast would provision it for either business or residential use.

Being a Zoom modem, it is at least unlikely that it was a Comcast-rented model which was not returned (very common ocurrence)...however, it may well have been used by a Comcast customer who skipped out on payments (also very common)...in which case you have a $5.00 paper-weight.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to LSUDVM

Premium Member

to LSUDVM
said by LSUDVM :

I picked up a like new 5341 Zoom modem today for $5 at a garage sale. It is not on Comcast's approved list of modems for biz class. So can i still get it provisioned to try it out?

I use a 6121 now.

If it is an operational modem and it is not on a Comcast blacklist, you should be able to plug it in and activate it on the walled garden page. I did that with an old D2 modem that I already had just to have a hot swap spare available should my SB6121 go up in smoke.

However, even if you are able to activate it, don't count on being able to use it indefinitely on a business class account. I suspect that if you have it on-line all of the time, that an audit will find it, and Comcast will then put it on a black list.

The main reason that I currently have Motorola SB6121 is because Comcast audits kept finding my SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode and resetting it because Comcast officially considered that to be an illegal configuration for a business class account. That is not just speculation; I was told that by multiple business class CSRs after I had to call and get my SMCD3G-CCR put back into bridge mode.

noc007
join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA

noc007

I could of swore I read a thread within the past couple of months where someone had a modem for a while that was approved for residential but not business. I may be mistaken. If you know for sure they would blacklist an unapproved modem, I'm interested to know more. I'm considering getting a 5341J myself to get rid of the rental fee for the SMC and potentially move it over to a residential account if I decided to drop the business service at the end of my contract.

How frequently were they resetting the bridge mode? Also, how hard was it to get a CSR that was willing to put it back?

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

andyross to LSUDVM

MVM

to LSUDVM
It's also important to know if you have fixed IP or DHCP addressing. If it's fixed IP, you MUST use the Comcast modem.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to noc007

Premium Member

to noc007
said by noc007:

I could of swore I read a thread within the past couple of months where someone had a modem for a while that was approved for residential but not business. I may be mistaken. If you know for sure they would blacklist an unapproved modem, I'm interested to know more. I'm considering getting a 5341J myself to get rid of the rental fee for the SMC and potentially move it over to a residential account if I decided to drop the business service at the end of my contract.

I do not know for a fact that Comcast would black list your residential modem if they discovered that you were using it. That was just a possibility based on Comcast's vindictive actions when I used my SMDD3G-CCR in bridge mode (which is also officially unapproved).

As I previously mentioned, I do have a non-approved residential modem assigned to my business class account (via the walled garden) that I use for backup and testing. In fact, most of last week that modem was on-line with a single PC connected behind it while I used it for "external" testing, and Comcast did not mess with it during that relatively short test period.

I think that whether or not Comcast would ignore a non approved modem that was in service for an extended period (or would provide troubleshooting/maintenance service if an unapproved modem were in use) would be a gamble, so if you feel lucky...
said by noc007:

How frequently were they resetting the bridge mode? Also, how hard was it to get a CSR that was willing to put it back?

I would find that my SMDD3G-CCR had been reset at least once a week for the ~1 1/2 month period that I tried to use it in bridge mode. It would typically take 3-4 calls to business class support before I could find a CSR with the knowledge and Cajones to put it back into bridge mode. It wasn't worth the effort or the down time to keep doing that.

noc007
join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA

noc007

Thanks for the info. I did a little bit of searching and came across a business account using the 5341 for an actual business:
»www.amazon.com/review/R1 ··· BHMCGDC/. They did give him some grief about it, but he's got another account in the same location with a SB6121.

briankwest
@allegiance.tv

briankwest

Anon

I have a 5341j, Running 5.5.4.9j and its error levels are much lower vs the SB6120 I had. But I found a very interesting thing.

wget --save-cookies cookies.txt --referer 'http://192.168.100.1/' --post-data 'LoginUsername=admin&LoginPassword=password' http://192.168.100.1/goform/login

Try this against it... mine crashes and resets. Valid password or not.