Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

symbiance

join:2012-06-03
Ambridge, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

cheap cable card tuner compatible with comcast?

I am looking for a cheap cable card tuner that is compatible with comcast. I dont care about dvr, on demand, interactive menu or pay per view. I just want something a a cable card goes into (as a set top box) and watch all my available channels.

I know i can rent a dta, but i figured if i just buy a cable card tuner and just pay the comcast cable card rental fee, id be getting a better deal than getting a dta.

My bill shows a cable card is $1.15 a month, while a dta is $1.99. Correct me if i am wrong please.

Thanks
Chris

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

you cant buy a set top box. you can buy a tuner for your PC and use that.
--
I'm better than you!

symbiance

join:2012-06-03
Ambridge, PA
reply to symbiance

I have a tivo stb already which uses a cable card.

Anyway i can get a pc tuner to work with a tv?

FordTractor

join:2003-03-25
Fishers, IN
Reviews:
·Comcast

I currently have a HTPC with two Ceton cards - each with a Cable Card. This allows me to have a 4TB hard drive to record on with 8 tuners and I have XBox 360's on the other TVs to watch live and recorded TV. Works quite well but if you're only after the most cost effective solution, this is not it.

If you want cheap, you could stick a Ceton Card in an old PC and use it to watch TV but that's still $199 at Newegg in addition to a cheap PC. There are other tuners out there that are cheaper but it depends on Comcast service (like whether they're using Switched Digital Video in your area). Good luck.

SLAYER6669

join:2011-09-07
Toms River, NJ

Sorry to threadjack, but quick question on that FordTractor. In my area, the first cablecard is free and the second in the same device is like $1.50. Since I have a DVR box in another room for my father, I have to pay $9.95 Addtl outlet fee (-$2.50 customer owned equipment credit). Does Comcast charge you just a $1.50 for the second card? I'm considering a second card myself. I just don't want to get hit for another $9.95 addtl outlet fee + free card. Basically I just want to make sure comcast considers the PC the device, and not each specific ceton card.

FordTractor

join:2003-03-25
Fishers, IN
Reviews:
·Comcast

I only pay the $9.95 Digital Outlet Service once each month. Only additional charge for me to add the second cable card was $1.50/month. I needed to ask them something else so I opened a chat session and they confirmed it's only $1.50 so you should be good.

SLAYER6669

Toms River, NJ
reply to symbiance

Great! Thanks for the info. That is what I expected but I wanted to make sure with someone who already has two cards.

Gooser711

join:2005-01-27
Hillsborough, NJ

I have 2 cable cards and no comcast boxes, just recently started to get charged for the additional outlet fee. I called to complain and they removed the charge but later that day my second cable card stopped working... Called the special cable card number to re-add it, if they bill me for it again I'll be dropping services. I'm in Central NJ

SLAYER6669

Toms River, NJ

Yeah with no boxes at all then your cablecards are being used on the primary outlet and should have no addtl outlet fee. Tell them they are both in the same device.

audee

join:2012-06-13
Oak Park, IL

$9.95 Addtl outlet fee = video service package that comes bundled with equipment

To qualify for customer owned equipment credit that what comcast says you have to be paying for.

»www.comcast.com/~/Media/Files/Eq···_11.ashx
CUSTOMER OWNED VIDEO EQUIPMENT POLICY

Comcast offers a variety of video service packages. Many of these packages include equipment. However, you are not required to use
Comcast supplied equipment with your video services. Instead, you may choose to use qualifying equipment that you own.

You will be charged an outlet fee for your 2nd cable card.

(comcast knows the way they bill for cable card is not legal beyond the primary outlet. If you read the write up for the law, customer owned equipment credit was only a small goodie for not taking the equipment thats bundled with a real video package like digital starters not an outlet.)

AnonMan

@comcast.net

None of this will matter soon anyway.

They just got approval from FCC to encrypt ALL digital TV and are in the process of doing so.

My area you can't use your own equipment because it can't decrypt the darn signal... And I am not talking about digital I am talking about actual encryption...

logger

join:2012-06-14
Carmel, NY

said by AnonMan :

My area you can't use your own equipment because it can't decrypt the darn signal... And I am not talking about digital I am talking about actual encryption...

Starting about two years ago, I could no longer view some Limited Basic channels using a TV with a QAM tuner. The signals were not encrypted and Comcast continued to claim that a TV with a QAM tuner will receive Limited Basic channels without a digital device. Comcast had changed the digital TV signal configuration to one where for some TV tuner channel numbers there were two programs that could be validly tuned to.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
reply to AnonMan

said by AnonMan :

None of this will matter soon anyway.

They just got approval from FCC to encrypt ALL digital TV and are in the process of doing so.

Which has nothing to do with the subject of this thread, which is about CableCard tuners. These tuners can decrypt all the channels you are authorized for. No one was talking about clear QAM channels here.

So yes, the subject does matter - CableCards aren't going anywhere for a long time and allow you to get the full range of channels, encrypted or not.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5
reply to symbiance

FYI - Ceton just released their new "InfiniTV 6" models of CableCARD devices for Media Center PCs:

Ceton Introduces World’s Most Advanced Digital Cable Tuners for the PC
New Ceton InfiniTV 6 Models support six simultaneous channels with a single CableCARD and are available in Ethernet-attached network tuner and PCI Express Form Factors

PR Web - May 14, 2013
»www.prweb.com/releases/CetonInfi···=4003003

Also see: »cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-6-ethernet/

and:

Ceton Boosts CableCARDs
By Mari Silbey, Light Reading Cable - May 14, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/content-pro···40154837