join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

Firefox Will Soon Block Third-Party Cookies

»yro.slashdot.org/story/13/02/23/···-cookies

"Stanford researcher Jonathan Mayer has contributed a Firefox patch that will block third-party cookies by default. It's now on track to land in version 22. Kudos to Mozilla for protecting their users and being so open to community submissions. The initial response from the online advertising industry is unsurprisingly hostile and blustering, calling the move 'a nuclear first strike.'"
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Well, why do these advertisers think I want their cookies. Fact is, it's MY computer and I have the say of what is on it. One of the first things I do on any computer is disable 3rd party cookies in browsers. So...

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
reply to antdude

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to antdude
Everybody is a hypocrite here...both Mozilla and the advertisers.

Mozilla ALWAYS blocked 3rd party cookies BY DEFAULT through version 1.5. It was with ver 2 that a lot of disturbing violations of user privacy were introduced into Fx. We had a long discussion about it in the Mozilla software forum at the time. The privacy violations were a main reason I remained with Fx 1.5 until Fx 4 was released.

I don't recall advertisers being in an uproar when Mozilla was blocking third party cookies by default up to Fx 2 so why should they get all upset now? Mozilla is just finally, in this regard, taking Fx back to its original purpose and tacitly acknowledging that they should never have given into the advertisers in Fx 2.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
Whenever I "upgrade" to a new build of FX, I have to opt-out of third-party cookies.
That may be due to the settings I choose to run.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13

I think most any browser you can block 3rd party cookies cant ya??

I have used FF 1.5 (and also 3.6) and i have been able to on both those.... I know on IE6+ you can (I dont know about any others but they should all let ya)

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to siljaline

Re: Firefox Will Soon Block Third-Party Cookies

No, it is not because of your settings. DEFAULT since x 2.0 has been to ACCEPT third party cookies. It was a sad day when Mozilla departed from their stance in Fx 1.5 and earlier which defaulted to block third party cookies. At least finally, Mozilla is going back to its roots on this issue.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

I think most any browser you can block 3rd party cookies cant ya??

Yes, you can block them in probably all browsers. But that is not the point. The point is that the AVERAGE user will accept whatever the defaults are for most everything. They don't know how to make changes and would be scared to try afraid they might "break" the internet or something. So, it was a big deal among privacy experts when Mozilla decided to stop blocking third party cookies by default and moved to accepting them by default in version 2. Safari has ALWAYS blocked third party cookies by default. The rest of their handling of cookies is very crude but they did always block 3rd party ones by default and are are to be commended for that.
--

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
Yel Mele i imagine it was a concern!!!!

I manually put my 3rd party cookies on BLOCK several years ago......

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

You put your cookies on the block ? How much did they sell for (•)

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Mele20

Re: Firefox Will Soon Block Third-Party Cookies

Since I'm a relative Moz N00b, Mele20 See Profile, I'm not quite in a position to comment on how far boack FX has been this way.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Yes, I noticed you are using Fx these days...nice! Welcome.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Thanks, Mele20 See Profile

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to antdude
quote:
It would appear that Mozilla is going the Safari route to block third party cookies by default. It's also been suggested that users clear all cookies before installing that version which is a bit controversial.

More on the subject here: The New Firefox Cookie Policy

quote:
The post isn't entirely accurate, only 3rd-party cookies (coming from websites other than the website which you are currently visiting, frequently tracking sites, but also content sites for images, etc.) from websites which you haven't been actively visiting before are blocked.

For example, if Facebook wants to set a cookie for a "Like" button in another web page, it initially wouldn't be allowed to do so. But, if you go to the primary Facebook website to view some stuff, thus acquiring some permitted cookies from that visit, subsequent return visits to the other site would now allow the "Like" button to use the 3rd-party cookies as there has been a permitted "visit" of that site before. From the user-tracking point of view this leaves some loopholes, but it's better than the previous default which just blindly allowed the 3rd-party cookies, thus supporting tracking.

This breaks the Privacy & Security > Cookies preference pane on trunk, I've filed bug 845353 on that.

»forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic···=2668457

Ravenheart

join:2006-02-10
Berkeley, CA

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline
siljaline, thanks for that tip.

I slipped into assuming that, because I had cleared the "Accept third-party cookies" at one point, the choice would be preserved across future upgrades. It's disappointing that Firefox would overrule that choice.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Your welcome, always look at those settings after every upgrade.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by siljaline:

Your welcome, always look at those settings after every upgrade.

His/Her welcome?

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Not forgetting I speak French a good part of the day, living where I do and all that Jazz, you're