Purveyor of common sense
MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

Nick

MVM

[OC] More tweaks for my OC?

Click for full size
So I pushed my setup a little bit further today to go past the 4.4Ghz into 4.5Ghz territory. I am not well versed on the low level BIOS tweaks so I am not sure if I am running an optimal setup. With Prime95 it no longer crashes 5 or 6 tests in....Can anyone recommend additional tweaks that can help me either run a bit cooler (Max temp was 104 on one of the cores)

Or optimize the overclock to maybe inch out another few Mhz?
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

104 Celsius? If so, ouch! What cooling are you using?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Where are you seeing 104C? I see 104.70 MHz BCLK. I dobn't see temps...
Thordrune
Premium Member
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

Look near the end of his post.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
MVM
Smithtown, NY

Nick

MVM

I didn't grab the screenshot for it but I hit 104 when I run Prime95.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Thordrune

Premium Member

to Thordrune
said by Thordrune:

Look near the end of his post.

Aaah, woops, I was just looking at the pictures. Duh.

Thanks.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to Nick

Premium Member

to Nick
What CPU cooler are you running?
Thordrune
Premium Member
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Nick

Premium Member

to Nick
If it hit 104 C during Prime95, that's definitely bad. I bet running Linpack on it would get it well above 110 C, and/or kill it. Definitely back off of the overclock and voltage a bit until that gets sorted.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
MVM
Smithtown, NY

Nick

MVM

yeah I had to tone it down a bit because I had system crashes after a while.

I am using an Asus p8z77-v le with a corsair h55 watercooler

I have virtu enabled which may limit me a bit and the video card is an Asus 660ti oc

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

What fans are you using on the cooler? You will get better performance if you use quality fans like the Noctuas, Yate Loons, or Bitfenixes in a push-pull configuration.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
MVM
Smithtown, NY

Nick

MVM

My case and heatsink are Corsair, so whatever Corsair supplies as their fans.
Thordrune
Premium Member
Lakeport, CA

2 edits

Thordrune

Premium Member

Were all of the cores close to each other in temperature, or was the hot one way off?

Edit: If you really want to push that chip, try removing the heatspreader. Depending on how badly the thermal material between the heatspreader and CPU is making contact/conducting heat, this may help you quite a bit. You'll probably need to use a shim as well so the CPU sits properly in the socket. I did it once with an Opteron 165 and it didn't help very much (it apparently had good contact already).

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Nick

to Nick
said by Nick:

I am using an Asus p8z77-v le with a corsair h55 watercooler

Even with the H55, that mobo isn't a great overclocker. And what power supply are you using? That can make a big difference.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
MVM
Smithtown, NY

Nick

MVM

Power supply is a SeaSonic SS-660XP

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Nick

Premium Member

to Nick
Are you overclocking via software utility or the BIOS/UEFI? You will get a more stable overclock if you are doing it via BIOS.

That said, 4.5 GHz is an incredibly good OC on an Ivy Bridge chip, and one you should be happy with.

At this point, you need to either dial it back or bring the temps down. I suggest either upgrading to a push-pull fan config (with good fans--as I said, Noctua, Yate Loon, or Bitfenix), upgrade to a better CPU cooler (the H55 is kinda meh, go for the H100 or a full custom water loop), or hack the heat spreader to get rid of the concave gap, as Thordrune See Profile mentioned.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Nick

to Nick
You might find this review helpful.
quote:
The P8Z77-V LE Plus is obviously not aimed at the extreme overclocker. However, though it isn’t the board that should be your first choice for a DICE run doesn’t mean it won’t give you a respectable OC. The V LE Plus had no problem maintaining stability at 4.6GHz using exactly the same settings we have used with this chip on the V Pro and Sabertooth. On click TPU gave us a 4.2GHz clock, and the board ran nearly as cool as stock settings. While not recommended for extremes, the P8Z77-V LE Plus has no problem achieving excellent results with mainstream methods.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
MVM
Smithtown, NY

Nick

MVM

I was overclocking with the BIOS
That board is the Plus version but has a lot of similarities. I was indeed able to get it to 4.2 with the one click option.

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

3 edits

FizzyMyNizzy to Nick

to Nick
4.5Ghz on the i5-3750k doesn't need that much voltage. Well... thats if you run it like this:
Multiplier: 45
Bus Speed: 100Mhz
CPU Voltage: 1.3volt (some people have it work on 1.25v and 1.28v)
Set back your ram to 2400Mhz with 1.65v.

With Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler cpu temp using Intel Burn in test, Real temp say max is 72c.

This guy is on i5 3570k 4.5Ghz 79c, but running at 1.325 volt. »[Cooling] core I5 3570k safe temp
.005 volt more and have 104c.... I am also thinking maybe re-seat the heatsink? 25c increase for just .005 volt doesn't make sense.

Give it a try. I hope it works for you.

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to Nick

Premium Member

to Nick
A couple of things:

1) You never want your chip over 90c. Period. It's MAX THERMAL SPEC is 95c. You will destroy the chip.
2) You need to turn down the voltage on the RAM. Intel has said that 1.65v WILL kill the memory controller over time. 1.8v is just asking for it. You will destroy the chip
3) Do not touch BCLK. You can cause bus frequencies and the like to go out of wack. Only touch the multiplier. As it is set now, you will kill the chip.
4) The voltage of the chip is also way above spec. 1.4v will cause high temps which will kill the chip.

All that boils down to is back off and don't do anything crazy like you are currently.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Gordo74:

A couple of things:

1) You never want your chip over 90c. Period. It's MAX THERMAL SPEC is 95c. You will destroy the chip.

Latest gen Intel chips throttle when coming close to max thermal spec. They protect themselves.

2) You need to turn down the voltage on the RAM. Intel has said that 1.65v WILL kill the memory controller over time. 1.8v is just asking for it. You will destroy the chip

Memory manufacturers warranty the memory at 1.65v. It will take a long time to damage the memory controller. Anyone have documentation that it has happened?

3) Do not touch BCLK. You can cause bus frequencies and the like to go out of wack. Only touch the multiplier. As it is set now, you will kill the chip.

Both variables can be changed with little problem.

4) The voltage of the chip is also way above spec. 1.4v will cause high temps which will kill the chip.

Or the chip will throttle in self-preservation.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
MVM
Smithtown, NY

1 recommendation

Nick to Gordo74

MVM

to Gordo74
said by Gordo74:

A couple of things:

All that boils down to is back off and don't do anything crazy like you are currently.

No offense to you...but thank you for telling me all the things I shouldn't do with the hardware I purchased and telling me very little of how to work closer to my goal. I am well aware of issues that come with overclocking and the potentially reduced lifespan of my hardware. I am also not an expert on what each parameter changes in the BIOS. Granted that generally means i should not be messing around with them just like I don't go doing surgeries and liposuctions but, hey..it's there and nobody is going to die from me blowing up my processor or memory controller. It may employ someone in the future to make more processors or controllers so I'm actually contributing to the economy. But here's a penny for your thoughts....