spc
uniqs
TheHox
join:2012-05-31

TheHox

Re: 6.6mile PTP link - hardware?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Yes I read that, but I'm doubting the 5ghz because of the trees now. Seeing as I had issues before with 5ghz, and its winter and no leaves on the trees. In summer, its back to zilch.

My link calc looks ok, but that doesn't show trees. There is a hill less than 1/4mile from the AP side, that is 23 feet higher than ground elevation at the AP. So 23ft + a 45ft mature tree = Im blocked.

The red line I have on the picture is where I believe I have to aim, based on a path I drew from each tower in Google Earth. Looking at it now, I am aiming right into trees. Maybe this AP tower will just not work, but seeing as I work here, and have fiber at this location, it would have been the perfect spot, besides, the LOS issue.
If you enlarge that picture, you can pretty much see the line of trees about 1/4 mile out is the only thing blocking me. You can see between the trees, the ridge line in the way distance.

I was hoping to get at least 900mhz to work, with channel shifting and even 5mhz, get me at least 5mb, and decent steady latency.
I have 1mb currently with horrible latency.

Thanks for the help, I'm not trying to learn the hard way, spending $1k on gear that will sit on the shelf doesn't help me much either.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

Just to correct wirelessdog the nano loco 900s are dual polarity with their internal antennas only. But see below they do suck.

The internal 900 loco antennas suck, I get 10db by adding a 13 dbi yagi to a loco, add 4 for a nice 17dbi M2 or try the 16 dbi rocket versions paired with, of course, the rocket 900 radio. Sort of expensive but they do work well. 20mhz wide in 900mhz rarely works well, but neither does 5mhz, 10mhz or 8mhz has worked well for me and in 8mhz should get you 10mb with 2 chains going.

If you want to try wirelessdog's suggestion I have a pair of 29dbi 5ghz mammoth grids here you can have real cheap . But height is your answer here regardless.

warwick
join:2009-06-05
Hollywood, FL

warwick

Indeed... Once he addresses the height issue he may be able to get even get a pair of wap11's to link up just fine.

The Rohn25/45g towers are pretty good and cost effective; following detailed instructions you can even erect it yourself saving additional $.