Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken to SuperNet

MVM

to SuperNet

Re: New Furnace/humidifier water going into sub pump

Test to see where it goes. If it doesn't run into the sump pit then you are better off. I do have a concern with that hole in the sump pit cover though. Does your house have any type of radon problems? If yes, then you need to seal that hole back up.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to jester121

Premium Member

to jester121
Jester,
Just that the sump pumps up and out (full ceiling height) and reading some posts here about how they freeze up (running during winter) or that they fail (running a humidifier means more work for both condensate and sump pumps where they would be idle).
Ofcourse, if the sump pump and condensate pump design is that it lasts longer running cycles more often than short cycles over long periods of time, can you show me where I can find that data?
Otherwise, I would get the humidifier running. I just don't see running it if it wastes water and shortens any pumps lifespan.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121

Premium Member

I doubt any empirical data exists, but it's possible that it's better for the pump to run once in a while than to sit dormant for months.

Mine runs year round, many times a day, except for in the middle of a summer drought. I guess we have a high water table, and from looking at old aerial photos of the land, there used to be a creek or spring running right where our house is.

The discharge does freeze up when we hit 10 degrees, which is a pain in the ass. I have to go out and disconnect the black hose and let the water just jet out into the yard. During the summer it's nice to have some free irrigation; I rigged up an underground watering system for a vegetable garden a few years ago and it was ridiculous how fast everything grew, with no hose hassles for me.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Ken

Premium Member

to Ken
said by Ken:

Test to see where it goes. If it doesn't run into the sump pit then you are better off.

Lots of municipalities will NOT permit un-neutralized condensate to be discharged directly into sanitary or storm drains. The acidic nature of the condensate can damage clay/concrete/iron sewer pipe.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by Ken:

Test to see where it goes. If it doesn't run into the sump pit then you are better off.

Lots of municipalities will NOT permit un-neutralized condensate to be discharged directly into sanitary or storm drains. The acidic nature of the condensate can damage clay/concrete/iron sewer pipe.

Mine runs into the sewer, as does my brothers. My last house did too. My grandmothers runs/ran into her sump pit. Like you said, municipalities may differ but I think in general it's ok in IL. Maybe not ideal, but okay.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Check your local code.
It's illegal where I live.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL