spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DENDude6
join:2006-07-21
Denver, CO

DENDude6

Emergency Alert System

I Discovered a channel this morning it must have been turned on over night because it was not listed yesterday.

"Emergency Alert System" it is on Channel 998 and when you tune to 998 it says the following.. "Monroe EAS Test" with a high pitch beeping noise. (I am in the Denver Area)

What would this be used for? When the EAS comes on it uses Comcast Entertainment Television as the carrying channel. (the Comcast Network)

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

First I've heard about this. Going to guess maybe they are going to start using a dedicated EAS channel instead of repurposing the CET channel, or perhaps it was a temporary thing while they were doing testing. Just how did you come across this channel? Was it through a digital tuner on an HDTV or was it through a Comcast cablebox while you were flipping channels?

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

I have seen the EAS configured on Time Warner Cable systems with digital simulcast to have a dedicated channel for EAS alerts that is unencrypted including the one I am and it is hidden in the guide so you don't see it until the EAS alert/test is activated.
DENDude6
join:2006-07-21
Denver, CO

DENDude6 to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
Comcast Cable box it is listed on the on screen TV Guide that you use with your remote. It is the 2nd to last channel on our system. I Was just flipping through the guide & I know for a fact it was not there the day before.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes to DENDude6

Premium Member

to DENDude6
my topic on it

»[STB] EAS Channel Tuneable directly

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

lol I forgot about that thread. man that brings back memories. I'm surprised this even exists. I would have thought that by now all digital cable providers would be using a text crawler or ticker across the top of the screen instead of a full screen alert which could cover up important information on news channels reporting on the emergency such as weather maps or evacuation maps.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes

Premium Member

I saw you post here mike and went, hmm mike posted in mine, I'll just post my link to it lol.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to DENDude6

Premium Member

to DENDude6
Click for full size
This is what the EAS channel looks like here. It gives one a lot of confidence....

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I could be wrong but I think Motorola areas use a dedicated channel and Cisco/SA areas use the banner?

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

my area doesn't have an eas channel and it's motorola. When there is a test it shows the message and shows eas on the boxes.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

I could be wrong but I think Motorola areas use a dedicated channel and Cisco/SA areas use the banner?

I see the banner in addition to the malfunctioning EAS channel.

Let me be more precise:

- That confidence reducing photo I posted is what I see via ClearQAM, and it is also what I see at my health club (which uses the DTA thingies).

- I see the banner when I am watching via my TiVo. I have not looked through all the channels that my TiVo is allowed to receive, to see if that same error message also is shown as a EAS channel on the TiVo.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to camper

to camper
said by camper:

This is what the EAS channel looks like here. It gives one a lot of confidence....

The EAS channel here has the linux login page showing on the EAS channel which is a security risk as someone could figure out the password if they got a hold of the login name. Remember the zombie EAS alert hack.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

Mike Wolf to mikedz4

to mikedz4
I wish our Cisco/SA equipment did the EAS display on the front panel but sadly it doesn't. I know the iGuide software running on the Motorola and Cisco/SA equipment both have the ability to use unambiguous EAS mode, Motorola equipment has it turned on and Cisco/SA equipment has it turned off. Here is a video I found with a weird message at the end.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 8f6YUX-U

Here is a thread I created that has some info and examples »www.avsforum.com/t/12801 ··· stem-eas