dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

Re: Ontario surrogate mother slapped with $1,400 hospital bill

why would a couple from spain seek a canadian surrogate mother, why the preference?

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

1 edit

A Lurker

Premium Member

said by jaberi:

why would a couple from spain seek a canadian surrogate mother, why the preference?

So they can hide the surrogacy from the authorities in Spain. My guess is that they'll come back to Spain claiming to have adopted the child. Their child can't be added to the spanish registry and brought back into the country if they admit to surrogacy.

And hey, if born here, their child is Canadian. Might be an incentive later if they don't want to remain in Spain. (I'm not sure how this would work, but it might be part of it.)

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

said by A Lurker:

said by jaberi:

So they can hide the surrogacy from the authorities in Spain. My guess is that they'll come back to Spain claiming to have adopted the child. Their child can't be added to the spanish registry and brought back into the country if they admit to surrogacy.

And hey, if born here, their child is Canadian. Might be an incentive later if they don't want to remain in Spain. (I'm not sure how this would work, but it might be part of it.)

That's not part of it at all. From the linked article.
quote:
The fact that both pre-natal and post-natal care for Canadian surrogates is covered by medicare has actually made this countrys carriers more appealing to some foreign parents, at least in comparison with American carriers, whose medical costs must always be picked up by the intended parents, she said.
And this...surrogace in Italy is illegal, but legal in Spain.
»nova-clinic.ru/enservices52/

This rule also applies to inter-provincial surrogacy as well. It's just that if the adopting couple are Canadian, it's much easier to track them down and hand them a bill.
Expand your moderator at work

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner

Re: Ontario surrogate mother slapped with $1,400 hospital bill

said by shaner:

And this...surrogace in Italy is illegal, but legal in Spain.
»nova-clinic.ru/enservices52/

I got the opposite answer when looking for legality in Spain.

»www.velascolawyers.com/e ··· ain.html
(Since this is a Spanish law firm, I'm assuming it's correct.)

You may not be thrown in jail over it, however, the child may need a Visa to enter Spain (and currently not considered a spanish citizen).