All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mattniemu
join:2008-04-08
Waupaca, WI

mattniemu

I just rebuilt my computer but have some questions.

8 to 9 days ago I receive my new motherboard cpu combo use a socket Am3/ am3+ processor with sata 3 gb/s vs. my old amd 64 socket 754 with eide/ ide. Same day i got my dd3 kingston 2 kit 8 gb memory for 64 bit which i am using windows xp sp 3 32 bit.

I still use eide/ ide hard drive and i have dvd/ rw cd drive that uses eide/ ide also. I also bought and got couple of days ago 3 ide to sata converters/ adapters and They are the off brands and cost $4.50 each.

I test the convertor/ adapter out the other day first on my hard drive. I put the jumper on the master and plug the convertor in with the cables to the right connector and this did not work i tried everything and still nothing. I tried it on my dvd/ rw drive and still nothing worked.

What am i doing wrong? Is there a better ide to sata convertor/ adapter out there? What should i do
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth

Are these bi-directional adapters or "ide to sata" or "sata to ide"?

If you can link to what you purchased we can take a look at the specs.

Also you may find that the drives need to be on "cable select" and not master for them to work. On WD ide drives you may need to use "master no slave" selection.

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to mattniemu

Premium Member

to mattniemu
Yes there are good ones out there, but they cost about $25 each. So you'd be up to $62 in the hole. Plus the fact that these things are NOT native to the chipset and will diminish speed.

I would personally just get two new low cost (HDD and DVD drive) rather than using the old ones. The old hard drive is NOT meant to produce the speed modern computers are used to and if it's from a socket 754 system, it is probably nearing the end of its life.

It would be like putting wooden wheels on a Ferrari.

New HDD ($50):
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 22152226

New DVD Drive ($18)
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 27151256

So for $6 more than buying new converters, you get new items that are up to speed for your new board, are native to your new board, and will last you much longer than your old drives as well as not be hobbled by a 3rd party adapter.
mattniemu
Waupaca, WI

mattniemu to Aranarth

to Aranarth
I will do that
mattniemu

mattniemu to Aranarth

to Aranarth
Hi

The motherboard combo with the processor I got from tigerdirect.com and the memory too I got from the same site. Its bi-directional adapter Here is the web sites i got it from »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 12705119

Matt

Gordo74
Premium Member
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74

Premium Member

said by mattniemu:

Hi

The motherboard combo with the processor I got from tigerdirect.com and the memory too I got from the same site. Its bi-directional adapter Here is the web sites i got it from »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 12705119

Matt

If you notice, from that link. Not one person got it working and is complete and utter crap. Seems like you're out some money.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to mattniemu

to mattniemu
Gordo is correct.

ALWAYS READ THE REVIEWS!

If you have 100 reviews and 80 of them give a product 4 stars or better (out of 5) then it's a good product.

if you have 9 reviews and NONE of them have a good thing to say about it. DON'T GET IT.

Drives are dead cheap these days and a new 7200rpm sata drive will give far better performance over trying to force your old ide drive to work with this new mainboard.

If you MUST use these drives get an IDE pcie adapter card instead.

Like this one: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 15124022

You might have to buy 2 of them if you have more than 2 IDE drives.
mattniemu
Waupaca, WI

mattniemu

With those raid controller card which i never used before. Will my computer boot up?

Gordo74
Premium Member
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to mattniemu

Premium Member

to mattniemu
I still highly recommend changing your old parts out for newer parts. It will save you more time, money (now and later), and hassle in the long run as well as give you a speed boost.