spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Epicmaster
@cgocable.net

Epicmaster

Anon

paying Cogeco 100$ a month for 60 mbps down and getting 5

This has been consistent throughout the month and I live literally less then a kilometer away from one of their offices. Is this normal? Would calling them and complaining make a difference? i'm wondering if its bandwidth shaping but I would be surprised its to this degree, I've seen my speed go as high as 6 down all the way to 2 down.

any help would be appreciated

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

Does this happen only at certain times of the day? Have you contacted Cogeco at all? Does this happen only when performing certain tasks (ie torrenting, streaming....)

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't pay that much for internet and not get everything I'm paying for.....secondly, why go with Cogeco when there are other, much better options out there, depending on where you are I guess....

You should also post your modem stats here....

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22 to Epicmaster

to Epicmaster
Of course you should call.
A couple possibilites:
-Some config issue in your house (router, wireless)
-Cogeco has you on wrong profile
-Horrible line stats

Distance from the office doesn't make a noticable difference with Cable, thats a DSL specific issue.

Before you call in, I'd suggest plugging a computer directly into the cable modem, no router, no wireless. Do that and then run a speedtest (»speedtest.net) and see what you get.

If you get good speeds, you know it's something in your internal setup, no Cogeco, causing the issue.
gnumantsc
join:2003-07-23

gnumantsc

Have you even rebooted your modem as well? When they did the upgrades you had to reboot in order for it to take affect.

Your router could also cause the problem as it might be old and too tasking for its processor

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

1 edit

coaxguy to Epicmaster

to Epicmaster
Wrong profile, or perhaps they installed the wrong modem in your house. What is the model/make? Could also be a number of other things, but those would be my first 2 guesses. Also im assuming there is no router involved.

Also, you may want to post this on the Cogeco forum, an employee might be able to help you more.

Epicmaster
@cgocable.net

Epicmaster to gnumantsc

Anon

to gnumantsc
yep, rebooted multiple times 10 seconds at a time. I will try to go direct modem to computer and not go through router, but I would be surprised since router has been working great. its a D-link Xtreme rounter
Epicmaster

Epicmaster to rednekcowboy

Anon

to rednekcowboy
torrenting vs watching youtube gets same speed, tested using speedtest.net and cogeco's advertised speed test Java thing.
DeViLzzz
join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

DeViLzzz to Epicmaster

to Epicmaster
At $100 per month ur nuts to even deal with them. If you have Bell in your area right now you can get phone, internet and tv (more HD channels for free than Cogeco) for $99 and $120 from now on. I wish I could switch to Bell and pay $10 for unlimited usage cuz Cogeco isn't going to do **** for customers now or into the future.

Btw before you say Cogeco gives you that fast speed well my brother says when he watched streamed HD content online he has no issues and it only used 4 Mbps.

Epicmaster
@cgocable.net

Epicmaster to coaxguy

Anon

to coaxguy
is there a way to move this post to cogeco forum?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

You may want to consider registering on dslr ... that would allow some of the very helpful Cogeco techs here to offer to help - and they're all very good at resolving issues.

Mike

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Epicmaster

Premium Member

to Epicmaster
said by Epicmaster :

Would calling them and complaining make a difference? i

... it's surprising to me that you didn't call as soon as you noticed it at the beginning of the month. With such an odd issue, you'd more than likely receive an immediate response.

Call now.