uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

[FireFox] What setting forces Fx to load all tabs fully when sta

Sigh. I'm finding that this new version of Fx changed some of my settings in about:config. It should NOT have done that! Crap like this is why I detest updating Fx. Fx LIES and lets you think that your user profile is ok when in actualality Fx has changed a lot of it and not bothered to inform you or tell you that it crippled your profile. At least Mozilla should make Fx be honest when shits on your profile. (It also enable ALL CACHE ITEMS. I ALWAYS have cache completely disabled in Fx.

One setting it changed I HATE. I want all tabs to FULLY LOAD when I start Fx. Why would I bother saving my sessions if they ware not going to load fully when I start Fx again? I wondered why my tabs seemed to load awfully fast since I upgraded to this much worse version of Fx (10 ESR was better). They are loading fast because Fx is just PRETENDING to load them.

So, what is the setting in about:config to stop this nonsense? The last thing I want to do is wait for a tab to actually load when I click on it. It should have loaded fully when I started Fx! Fx should not pretend to load tabs when it is not doing that at all. That is a terrible deception!
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Re: [FireFox] What setting forces Fx to load all tabs fully when

I refined my Google search terms and that helped. I found that Fx put a setting in the General tab in Options that you could uncheck. I don't recall that in Fx 10 ESR where I think I recall using a setting in about:config.

I also found that Fx moved the setting from the General tab in Options to the Tabs tab in Fx 16. So, once I found that I unchecked it and don't need to do it in about:config.

But I can't find the setting for how many tabs will load simultaneously upon start. I can't recall if that is in Fx itself or a setting in one of Piro's extensions. I looked through all of Piro's extensions I have for tabbed browsing and don't see it. I think it defaults to loading 3 tabs simultaneously continuing in sets of 3 until all tabs are fully loaded and Fx is ready to use. I hope it will do that now that I stopped Fx from only loading one tab upon starting. I hope wherever that setting is that it too did not get changed when I upgraded Fx 10 ESR.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

JustBurnt

@rr.com
reply to Mele20

How many Tabs are you trying to open at start-up? I have four and it fully loads all four.

JustBurnt

@rr.com
reply to Mele20

I was able to save 11 open tabs and they all fully loaded on restart.

JustBurnt

@rr.com
reply to Mele20

I guess you fixed your problem

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Yes, it is fixed once I found where to turn off loading only one tab when Fx starts.

I have anywhere from 40-150 tabs to load at start depending on the session I choose (Session Manager).
--

JustBurnt

@rr.com

40 to 150 ?? What are all those sites? I would have to have all my bookmarked sites open.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

I have thousands of bookmarks. Fx does not handle bookmarking that well. Opera has builtin columns so they are neat and easy to find a bookmark. Fx has one extremely long column that is unwieldy, unsightly and impossible to use (because it scrolls soooooo slowly) unless you almost never bookmark any site.

I use a Fx extension Multicolumn Bookmarks to try and get the beautiful efficiency of Opera bookmarking. It doesn't work very well though. So, I end up having to open ALL BOOKMARKS to find one. Fx is HORRIBLE when it comes to bookmarking compared to Opera which is OUTSTANDING. So, I keep a lot of tabs open all the time because that is faster, easier (using Tree Style Tabs extension) than trying to deal with Fx's poor bookmarking system. Plus, I visit all the sites at least once daily so why would I not want them open all the time? If I am finally through with several sites, then I close those tabs, otherwise they stay open for ease of use given given the sorry state of Fx bookmarking.
--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 edit
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

I refined my Google search terms and that helped. I found that Fx put a setting in the General tab in Options that you could uncheck. I don't recall that in Fx 10 ESR where I think I recall using a setting in about:config.

Thanks for this -- I asked about this previously (»[FireFox] Force refresh when tabs re-load on startup?) and the only answer I got was to right-click on a tab and use "reload all tabs". Not what I was looking for but it worked.

Now I'll just go update my Firefox settings! Thanks again!
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to JustBurnt

said by JustBurnt :

I was able to save 11 open tabs and they all fully loaded on restart.

No, Firefox loads a locally cached copy. If you've bookmarked any pages that get updated regularly, you would have noticed it.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to darcilicious

You did read the next part of my post? Mozilla moved that setting in Fx 16 to the TABS tab in Options. It is not under the General tab now.
--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

Yeah, I got it thanks!

Expand your moderator at work