uniqs

thefacts
@verizon.net

thefacts to meowmeow

Anon

to meowmeow

Re: 4K & mpeg 4 availability

said by meowmeow:

You can't magically make MPEG-4 into MPEG-2. It's recompressed. The question is just whether the bitrate of the new MPEG-2 transport stream is high enough that you don't notice the generational loss. It sounds like Verizon is doing well there, but still, I stand by what I say... that's not the way to keep customers.

Look at DISH Network. It looks like utter garbage. They don't even offer HD of many popular channels (e.g. Disney) since they're unwilling to pay for it. Everything is compressed into oblivion. They have no customer service and they engage in deceptive, even threatening business practices.

And they're insanely popular because people want to save $10 a month.

first of all mpeg4 to mpeg2 is done with equipment provided by the networks. espn gives an receiver/transcoder (yes its transcoded NOT recompress as you call it). going from 9mbps mpeg4 to 18mbps mpeg2 is not "recompress.

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine

said by thefacts :

first of all mpeg4 to mpeg2 is done with equipment provided by the networks. espn gives an receiver/transcoder (yes its transcoded NOT recompress as you call it). going from 9mbps mpeg4 to 18mbps mpeg2 is not "recompress.

Just because it's called "transcoding" doesn't mean it's not recompression. The final sizes are irrelevant, because the process is essentially this:

MPEG-4 -> uncompressed video frames (internally) -> MPEG-2

So yes, it's recompression.

Encoding to MPEG-2 is a lossy process, regardless of the source. It introduces artifacts. These are the real facts.
meowmeow
join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT

meowmeow to thefacts

to thefacts
Exactly as said above me, transcoding is a form of recompression. There is ALWAYS generational loss, even if the target bitrate is higher than the source bitrate. ALWAYS. End of story.

The question is whether the generational loss is noticeable. Even DCP's (Digital Cinema Packages) are lossy compressed. I highly doubt you'd find anyone who'd claim to notice it (they're compressed not as video but as individual JPEG2000 frames - extremely inefficient but also extremely high quality since any artifacts only exist in one frame and don't track between frames)